Wastelander
838 posts

Re: RttS vs. My Player

Feb 19, 2010

cardsfan2222 wrote:
It seems like almost a copy of RTTS, except easier to make it to the majors.  I'm sure the people with short attention spans will like it, but I like not knowing when I will be called up, and feeling like it is an accomplishment, not just a few quick goals I have to meet to make it up. 

I agree with you. Plus, I'd rather have a game with smoother play and better graphics.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 28 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
352 posts

Feb 19, 2010
For those of you interested..  http://community.2ksports.com/community/insights/

That's the second part to the "My Player" mode. It says you can only play a 15 year career, that kinda sucks =/
MLB: The Show Resume
07: Yankees - World Series Champs
08: Yankees (99-63 first place) WS Champs
09: Yankees (95-67 Wild Card) WS Champs
10: Yankees (0-0) Prediction: WS CHAMPS!
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 28 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
181 posts

Feb 19, 2010
A 15 years career is definitely not long enough
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 28 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2490 posts

Feb 19, 2010

So if you start at 18, your forced to retire at 33.  No idea why they would limit it that much.  The only way to break the all time home run record is to make it to the majors quick, and average over 50 a year.  You'd have to have close to 300 hits a year to break the all time hit record.  One of the fun things about RTTS is if you play long enough, you can start chasing down all-time records.  2K won't let you do that. 

One thing I do like is being able to jump to key moments in your career.  RTTS gets very repetitive, and it would be nice to only play the late inning pressure situations once in awhile.  It's hard to sim and still get enough points to meet goals, but I had a SS on the O's, and it was way too tedious to play every game when we would lose over 100 each year.  I would have loved the opportunity to just play the 9th inning at bats with the game on the line.

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 28 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
352 posts

Feb 19, 2010

cardsfan2222 wrote:

So if you start at 18, your forced to retire at 33.  No idea why they would limit it that much.  The only way to break the all time home run record is to make it to the majors quick, and average over 50 a year.  You'd have to have close to 300 hits a year to break the all time hit record.  One of the fun things about RTTS is if you play long enough, you can start chasing down all-time records.  2K won't let you do that. 

One thing I do like is being able to jump to key moments in your career.  RTTS gets very repetitive, and it would be nice to only play the late inning pressure situations once in awhile.  It's hard to sim and still get enough points to meet goals, but I had a SS on the O's, and it was way too tedious to play every game when we would lose over 100 each year.  I would have loved the opportunity to just play the 9th inning at bats with the game on the line.

I agree with you on both of your points.
MLB: The Show Resume
07: Yankees - World Series Champs
08: Yankees (99-63 first place) WS Champs
09: Yankees (95-67 Wild Card) WS Champs
10: Yankees (0-0) Prediction: WS CHAMPS!
Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 28 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3621 posts

Feb 19, 2010

Ok after carefully reading both parts I'll comment on my full thoughts here:

First, getting to the pros looks entirely too easy...but that's not a 100% bad thing.

In MLB 09 (and I'm guessing 10), unless theres an injury or your team's just got a really bad player at that position it usually takes you a minimum of 2 years to make the pros. That's fine, taking your lumps and paying your dues. However, if you're a prospect hitting .350-.400 in AAA and in the big league club, the starter at your position is hitting .260, I'd think you'd be getting some looks from upstairs. Now does that mean you should get a call-up at 18/19? No. Maybe the guy above you is a good career hitter and this is a bad year, or they just don't think your completely together yet (fielding may suck even if you carry a big stick). Maybe they're waiting on trading deadline?

It would be nice though, if you meet certain unwritten goals, that you could be called up as the 19 year old phenom. However, in 2K, the down side to being able to be called up early is that the game seems WAY too focused on you as a player and not you as a player in that organization. Meaning, if you are killing the ball and the guys above you are doing the same, it seems you'll still get called up even though the team doesn't need you. I could be wrong, but the "meet these goals and guaranteed call-up" thing sounds that way. So a nice mix could go well here.

15 year career...good and bad

Ok, this one got some flack but really its a good and bad thing. Many players don't make it past 15 as a pro...even some superstars don't make it much longer than 16. However, it shouldn't be a "set date." At the same time, you shouldn't be able to go on forever because that makes certain records and career marks moot. I mean as long as you aren't pathetic, you can break almost any career records in 20+ years. MLB almost has this one right.

In MLB, once you start getting older, you'll notice your attributes will start to fall faster, requiring more points and work to keep them up. That makes sense, a forced decline and at some point, if you aren't on top of it, you get to the point where you are again fighting to get a roster spot (look at current free agents this year). I think to take this a step further they should base this on your history of injuries, games played etc. Obviously some of these would wear on you.

However, getting to the point for 2K, a set number of 15 is lame, but at the same time you will EARN any of your career marks etc you gain...which is cool for that game because it seems career milestones etc are important in 2K, leading me to my next point.

Your Player IS a big Deal

Sometimes in MLB, I feel like my guy, while a stud and basically ruling the league, is "just another player." The league doesn't give any player any precedence over the other in MLB (except for the fact of a bigger pay). I want to see fans react more to certain players (sure they boo but no more or less than some other just "good" players), they love or hate these players because they're a big deal. 2K seems to have done something about this in the fact that your guy gets "Jeter or Pujols" status and has some pull with the team. Hopefully they didn't make it to where if you request the guy he'll be on your team 100% because it doesn't work that way but I'd like to think you can weight in on it more.

Also 2K seems to do a great job with the Clutch Games, Key Moments and Milestones. MLB, ever game feels the same, every play feels the same etc. If my guy is closing to breaking a record or hitting HR #500, every time I get up to bat I want to see flashbulbs going off, hear the fans getting AMAZINGLY loud and maybe even seen some signs etc of fans rooting for me (generic signs with my name and 500 on it would be fine). I want to feel like this is a big deal, more than just me waiving my hand afterward. Heck, when I broke Rickey Henderson's stolen base record, the announcer ignored it, commenting on it being my 3rd of the game and not being the one that made me the new season record holder.

Also, if I play a bad team and I'm close to getting a record or milestone, I want to see the crowd show up. I like that bad teams have poor attendance but a superstar making history for the opposing team does put butts in seats. I've also said this before and I'll say it again, MLB needs more records. Baseball is a game of numbers, so I want to see more records for one, and also be able to see the top 10 at each record. Season, Career and then Team Season and Career. Game records are cool but not really needed. 2K does this and this helps add to the atmosphere. I asked a friend of mine who plays 2K (Xbox only) and he said when you break records and are close etc they start making a big deal about it...talking about it more, doing special camera shots etc.

Finally

That all being said, I tried to make mostly points FOR 2K here, since I make it no secret that I still think The Show is a far superior product. Despite some of the things mentioned above that I dislike, I think the realism of the gameplay, contract system, All-Star Weekend now and all that keep the game more emersive than the arcadey feel that 2K delivers. The good news for 2K, for the first time in 2-3 years I'm interested enough in their product that I may pick it up when it goes discounted. The bad news is, I'm sure I won't play it as long as MLB (I'll go back to MLB even if I have 2K) because the menu system in 2K never makes sense, the gameplay is just a joke and the animations make me wanna puke after seeing MLB's now.

Here's to hoping that 2K stepping up a bit will continue to push MLB to provide an even better game next year to stay that much ahead of 2K!

I'd love to hear your comments etc on my rants, add in what you want or disagree with me on whatever.  This is how I see it and what I'd like to see.

Brandon Jackson: Web Graphic Designer
Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 28 (14 Views)
Lombax Warrior
192 posts

Feb 20, 2010
I like My Player.. more than RTTS. But I'm still not going to buy 2k.
Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 28 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
181 posts

Feb 20, 2010

To bigdaddykraven

Another great post. The only thing I would take issue with you is the great phenom in AAA hitting .350 but the same player at the MLB level is also hitting great. You say they call you up even though they may not need you. Well, a guy hitting .350 in AAA will get called up and they will find a place for you. The bat can get you, and keep you in the bigs.

Still,  KUDO's

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 28 (14 Views)
0 Likes