Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Survivor
2956 posts

Re: MAG 2: a 256 player dream! (Post your MAG 2 dreams)

Jan 4, 2011

Shinigami_B06__'s dream: http://forums.mag.com/t5/MAG-Discussion/Forget-about-MAG-Just-do-MAG-II/m-p/1054557#M738496

Shinigami_B06__ wrote:

Ive seen a couple of posts about making a mag sequel so I just felt like speaking up about my own ideas and responding to the ideas of others. First of, I wanna say that honestly mag has been a good game but all in all to me it is just an experiment whose results open the doors for a sequel that could achieve the potential that in my personal opinion MAG never truly reached. The reason I say this is because mag has some great and unique aspects to it that are overshadowed by its many other negative aspects. So imma break it down as to the components of what I think would be MAG II:

graphics:

seriously, the graphics of MAG are just plain pathetic. I endured them for a long time but it gets to a point were u realize that u are playing a game that has ps2 graphics. I know many of you don't care about graphics, but you have to draw the line somewhere, and MAG definitely crossed that line. A sequel should definitely give more consideration to graphics.

number of players 512 vs. 64/128:

Ive read a few posts about how some people want games to have MORE players. All I can say to that is...WHY?? I will admit that when I first heard about how mag had 256 player games I too was awed by it. but the more I played the more I realized that this is seriously OVERRATED. What is the point of having so many people in the battle field. I feel really comfortable saying that as a player you just do not interact with all the players. futhermore, you have games like acquisition (this also applies to domi) that is divided into 2 sides. One side defends perfectly and yet you lose because the other side lost 2 vehicles? That's just retarded. If you lower the numbers into something like 64 players (maybe 128) per game then the possibility are endless. You allow the programmers to actually address othe aspects of the game that could overall increase the value of a potential sequential. "its called MASSIVE ACTION GAME". I don't care. If the name doesn't fit then just make a new title <_<. 

game mechanics:

If a sequel is ever made, I think it should maintain its whole concept of bunkers AAA repairkits etc. Personally when someone asks me what makes mag a great game, what comes to mind is this type of gamely, not the number of players.  (I know its called MASSIVE ACTION GAME, get over it). Obviously I think some things need to be revised/improved but the general idea is that this gameplay is what brings strategy to the table, and if you lower the number of players and you combine that with more compacted maps the game will become a real game of mechanics instead of a clusterfu*k like it is now. Just because 30 people from a clan work together doesn't mean that the entire 128- player team is actually organized. See the tree from the forest.  oh and the skill tree should also stay. but more noob friendly.

neutrality and balance:

again, the concept of factions at first really pulled me into the game, but after a while...man the whole idea of factions is just a failure. There is always one side (regardless of names) that somehow is always overpowered. If a sequel or something of the kind is ever made, factions can be implemented but seriously not the way they were in mag. There HAS to be a lot  of neutrality. I.e.. Maps and guns be shared. Factions can still be implemented through other ways like faction specific clans (that don't have specific maps or guns) . That's just an example but im sure there are other alternatives out there.

screenshots:

**SPOILER ALERT: there will be a lot of cursing up ahead. SPOILER END**

Seriously, whose **bleep***ng idea was it to put the **bleep**ing useless function of screenshots which's only purpose is to facilitate bragging for pieces of **bleep**s jerks that want to patronize and talk **bleep** on the forums. Honestly, the game has serious issues with freezing and you are putting screenshot fuctions?! what the **bleep** is going on through the minds of the decision makers?!  And for that matter you take away the balaclavas etc and put screenshots...uber fail....useless stuff like screenshots should go no where near a sequel to mag.

Photobucket
Message 70 of 527 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2956 posts

Jan 11, 2011

Clan wars game mode.

Doesn't seem like its going to happen in this MAG, so I'm throwing it in this idea pile.

Photobucket
Message 71 of 527 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
333 posts

Re: My vision of MAG 2: I have a dream, a 256 player dream! (Post your MAG 2 dre

Jan 11, 2011

Our ideas are so awesome.

My ideas:

Immediate fix - The lag and freezes

Counter - What is it called to have rooms again.... I keep thinking that's dedicated servers..... but yeah that, they need this.

Game play mechanics

• Lower player count. Instead of 256, lower it down into either 96 or 128 this way we can have teh graphix!
  • Lower learning curve so that the next MAG can have a bigger player base.  But then the core fans will say that it got CoDified! They can shut the hell up (no offense guys, just hear me out) because we need them just as much as they need us. They need to make it more casual friendly so that we can get to kill more noobs. With added rooms, we can set up our own games therefore we get the best of both worlds.
  • Keep the red line spawns
  • More varied maps
  • Binoculars to call in strikes and etc.
  • Varied weather depending on maps being played on
  • Maps tied to who won last round
  • Keep the destructible environments they had with the AA, Vehicles, etc.
  • 2 to 4 player offline/online co-op story concerning the events of the first MAG (I know! People don't care about the Shadow War though! Who cares, we need it to justify the $60 price tag. It may be a short and cheesy story but at least it's got a campaign mode) (possible only if they lower the player count to 96 or so I think)
  • Take a page off of Blops and allow split-screen online (possible only if they lower the player count to 96 or so I believe)
  • Allow for some sort of black market or refine this system more
  • Most of what I just listed are probably possible only if the player count is lowered to 96
Prosthetics
  • Do we really need balaclavas? Do we really need that many types of helmets? You get the point, Zipper Int., needs to rid of the extra helmets since they don't do jack to our defenses.  The least they can do is allow one or two with varying camouflages and colors. Goggles lowered to one, and headsets to one.
  • Keep the way the armor is like with maybe a couple of colors, maybe basic colors: red, white, blue, black, brown, green, yellow, orange, purple (?), grey, and pink (?)
Last but not least, advertise the doodoo out of this game when it gets near it's release date. Hell, maybe even going as far as saying this is the CoD killa! (Just kidding even though we all know it's better than CoD)
They also need to allow space to announce this game. Maybe allow 2 to 3 years and then announce it. Within that, let the rumors spread of a new MAG and when people question them about it we will get an answer similar to this, "well.... let's just say we got something up our sleeves concerning huge battles". When that gets leaked, let the fire spread and soon we'll get leaked game play and all the things that usually happens.

Message 72 of 527 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2956 posts

Jan 24, 2011

Each game mode should be more diversified for every map: Sabotage for example, 1 map can have an Anti-air battery for the defenders, and the SL's and PL's of the attackers get air strikes. Another Sabotage map can have bridges, roadblocks, gates for defenders, and APC's for attackers. Maybe in one Sabotage map could have bunkers guarding A and B... The point is, it would be cool if th game modes were stlightly different in every map.

Photobucket
Message 73 of 527 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2439 posts

Jan 24, 2011

Remove suppression and make it on the PS4 ( because lets face it the ps3 can't handle MAG as it is) Have a game mode where it is 128vs. 128vs 128. 

Ohh and MORE MAPS!!!!

SIG
Message 74 of 527 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2956 posts

Jan 24, 2011

Sgt_Alexander wrote:

Remove suppression and make it on the PS4 ( because lets face it the ps3 can't handle MAG as it is) Have a game mode where it is 128vs. 128vs 128. 

Ohh and MORE MAPS!!!!

Honestly I don't see the point of having bigger and bigger modes. I think MAG would be fine if it was all cut down to 128 players only, as long as the maps are scaled down to maintain the same amount of player concentration and action. Refining it seems more important... but thats just me.

PS3 was said to have a 10 year product cycle, so PS4 is quite a while away, and even when it comes it will take a long time before devs get use to it and are able to use it to its full capabilities... I don't really want to have to buy a PS4, if its justgoing to be a much more powerful version of the PS3 then I don't think I would need it since graphics and stuff aren't that important to me, but if it was something very revolutionary (lots more power, portable, and comes with 1080p virtal reality goggles and built in motion controls) then I wouldn't feel reluctant to buy it.

Photobucket
Message 75 of 527 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2956 posts

Jan 24, 2011

Another MAG 2 related thread: http://forums.mag.com/t5/MAG-Discussion/Is-there-going-to-be-a-MAG-2/td-p/1127303

Its more about if there will be a MAG 2 then what we want from MAG 2, but there are some interesting posts about what people want from MAG 2 in there.

Example:

RenegadeMonk wrote:

acutaly to add to the idea, Say ZIPPER creats 6 PMC's, but only 4 are live at any one time.  So say right now, VALOR loses, it's down to RAVEN vs SVER (For global security contracts monopoly).  Once SVER wins (lets be realistic here), the PMC's refresh, and by random chance, SVER could not be involved in the next round.  Everyone would potentialy have 2 new PMC's to choose from.

Photobucket
Message 76 of 527 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2439 posts

Jan 24, 2011

KAGEHOSHI- wrote:

Another MAG 2 related thread: http://forums.mag.com/t5/MAG-Discussion/Is-there-going-to-be-a-MAG-2/td-p/1127303

Its more about if there will be a MAG 2 then what we want from MAG 2, but there are some interesting posts about what people want from MAG 2 in there.

Example:

RenegadeMonk wrote:

acutaly to add to the idea, Say ZIPPER creats 6 PMC's, but only 4 are live at any one time.  So say right now, VALOR loses, it's down to RAVEN vs SVER (For global security contracts monopoly).  Once SVER wins (lets be realistic here), the PMC's refresh, and by random chance, SVER could not be involved in the next round.  Everyone would potentialy have 2 new PMC's to choose from.

That was a good idea.

SIG
Message 77 of 527 (87 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 24, 2011

I didn't read everyone's suggestions, so pardon me if mine overlap a bit.

My suggestions:

-- Add more MMORPG elements --

Instead of logging in and navigating through menus, log in and be greeted by an interactive base camp where you can walk around as your character and see others in your PMC. There would be an arms dealer for buying new weapons and attachments, an armor/clothing merchant, a skills trainer for applying earned skill points (this person can also be the one who puts the player through boot camp, which would essentially be beginner training), and a deployment truck you use to join a match. The player can have a personal bunk with trunk space for storing everything. Here, the player can create loadouts by putting these items in duffel bags (limited # of bags). Perhaps these bags can be upgraded for more storage (not a lot more) after reaching a certain level or completing a challenge.

Have social events in the base camps, such as gambling on matches (perhaps against other PMCs), card games, and trading. Over holiday seasons, have the basecamp themed accordingly, and have special offers on items (both new and old).

Weapon and armor durability -- the lower the rating, the less effective they are. Will require the player to pay the armor/clothing merchant to repair these items.

Match rewards -- after each match, the player is rewarded with (limited) loot from the enemies he/she killed during the match (not actually removed enemy player, just a copy). These can then be used, sold, or traded. For this aspect to be more interesting in the long run, a Borderlands-esque random weapon generating system should be implemented.

More character customization and the ability to change it after each Vet.

With this kind of setup, a micro-transaction system can be implemented, which can mean a lower inital cost on the game itself (maybe $15 or $20). This game (the original MAG) was advertised as an MMOFPS, which probably gave many the hope of depth and longevity, but after a short while it kinda burned out.

-- Game types --

In short, at each size level (small, medium, large -- based on player count) have multiple game modes and map specific variations (all randomly selected during matchmaking).

Some ideas:

Another small scale (24v24|32v32) game mode having one team defend two bomb sites, while the other team tries to blow up one of the bomb sites (CS anyone?).

Another medium sized (64v64) game mode having one PMC occupy a city with a central road going through it. They must guard this road and prevent the other PMC from driving supply trucks through it. There can be stages with this, similar to acquisition with the bunkers, AAs, etc.

Another large scale game mode... eh, I don't want to come up with one.

-- Deployment --

Instead of specifically selecting game modes to play, choose between small, medium, and large scale (or combination of two or all). Matchmaking handles the selection of game mode, map, and map variant on the game mode.

-- Controls --

Allow for custom controller mappings.

--

Well, I think that's a good start to my thoughts on a MAG successor. Sorry for the novel. :smileyhappy:

Message 78 of 527 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
691 posts

Jan 26, 2011
almost forgot: stopping power and knockback damage. i think we're all tired of shooting someone just to see them keep advancing and knife us out. and we've all been cheated of some cool ragdoll animations courtesy of the shotgun--i'd buy MAG 2 to see that alone (and i don't even USE the shotgun)

an in-game message board. blend the social aspect of gaming.
Message 79 of 527 (87 Views)
0 Likes