Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 05 2012
By: Treyman1115 Lombax Warrior 149 posts

I just talked to someone who talked to Zipper before they closed......

15 replies 1226 views Edited Oct 5, 2012

The guys are zipper said that Sony wouldn't let them make a MAG 2 since the DLC didn't really make that much profits.

So they called it a "fail" game, and they decided to make another SOCOM instead (which failed).

One of the youngest players actually decent at MAG
BF3 Stats
Message 1 of 16 (1,226 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

Re: I just talked to someone who talked to Zipper before they closed......

Oct 8, 2012

If that's true Sony is plain stupid. You don't make your call of making a sequel by judging DLC's (crappy DLCs in this case). They should've supported MAG more making GOOD DLCs and upgrading the game.

And now that they have failed with SOCOM, they should consider making a sequel now, only if they do it well of course.

But at least they shut down Zipper...

Message 2 of 16 (1,106 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1526 posts

Oct 9, 2012

Treyman1115 wrote:

The guys are zipper said that Sony wouldn't let them make a MAG 2 since the DLC didn't really make that much profits.

So they called it a "fail" game, and they decided to make another SOCOM instead (which failed).

Sigh.

MAG was going to be a SOCOM game.

Even if your source didn't know that for whatever reason, Escalation was released on November 4, 2010. SOCOM 4 was released April 19, 2011. It takes a lot more than 6 months to make a game with the scope of SOCOM 4.

Indeed, SOCOM 4 was announced in March of 2010, 3 months before Interdiction was released.

In short, either you, or your source, are full of shit. I'm guessing it's the former.

Message 3 of 16 (1,047 Views)
Wastelander
655 posts

Oct 9, 2012

The reason that's there is no "Mag 2" is because it didn't sell well. They thought a game with 256 on the same screen on console would sell great but they didn't advertise the game like they should of.

The DLC might have had something to do with it but not a whole lot.

Socom 4 everyone knew would be released eventually. Since Confrontation was a huge success they thought it would sell great and bring in enough money to keep both games alive and the company rolling. But since it was horrible it didn't sell and Sony being the money **bleep**'s they are shut Zipper down and took the servers and did absolutely nothing with the but the few maintenances that have happened as of late.

:smileyhappy: yea Sony I said it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
YouTube.com/HiTMaNHuntr

Message 4 of 16 (1,038 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1467 posts

Oct 9, 2012

hitmanhuntr wrote:

The reason that's there is no "Mag 2" is because it didn't sell well. They thought a game with 256 on the same screen on console would sell great but they didn't advertise the game like they should of.

The DLC might have had something to do with it but not a whole lot.

Socom 4 everyone knew would be released eventually. Since Confrontation was a huge success they thought it would sell great and bring in enough money to keep both games alive and the company rolling. But since it was horrible it didn't sell and Sony being the money **bleep**'s they are shut Zipper down and took the servers and did absolutely nothing with the but the few maintenances that have happened as of late.

:smileyhappy: yea Sony I said it.

Actually Hunter, MAG did sell well. They sold well over a million copies before they had completely given up on it. These numbers do not count any online sales. You also have to remember that this was a PS3 exclusive AND an online only game AND it was new IP. All of which mean it did very well for what it was.

As of now, vgcharts.com has MAG pegged at 1.25 million copies sold. (Source: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/35119/mag-massive-action-game/ ) which puts it up around COD3 (1.36 million sold) and above SOCOM: Confrontation (1.17 million sold).

If you take a look back you can find some posts written by guys like Stylie where he argues just how well MAG did sell for Sony/Zipper. His arguments are pretty compelling.

Additionally, you might be able to convince Jeremy Dunham to spill on what happened. You can find him at his new job U4iA Games:  http://u4iagames.com/category/blog/. The company makes an online cartoon shooter that has decent mechanics (the last time I played it anyway) and a fun concept.

You can always consider the theory that I have had for a longtime: MAG was released as a way to fund development for SOCOM. It was pretty clear that it was a rolling testbed for a shooter engine and it managed to pay for all of the development that was done. They never had to put in much additional money to develop a campaign or anything like that so it becomes an easy way to make a lot of money.

You also have to think that if they make a couple of DLCs and they do well then they could consider doing something else with it. As it is, the player base came, tried it, and many went, without buying the DLC.

The Butterfly Effect [}!{]

Butterflies.engin.com ------ for when you get banned from here

Photobucket
Message 5 of 16 (1,023 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5397 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 10, 2012

grantb1969 wrote:
If you take a look back you can find some posts written by guys like Stylie where he argues just how well MAG did sell for Sony/Zipper. His arguments are pretty compelling.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/MAG-Discussion/By-the-Numbers-MAG-more-successful-than-Socom-...

photo freecomms_zpsa50e6e82.jpg
Message 6 of 16 (1,018 Views)
Wastelander
655 posts

Oct 10, 2012

Awwwww I felt smart to. :smileysad: Honestly i wasn't sure so I just went with what I thought. But oh well. :smileyhappy:

YouTube.com/HiTMaNHuntr

Message 7 of 16 (997 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
177 posts

Oct 10, 2012
dude unit 11 or unit 13 i forget the title, but zipper made that game for PS Vita in order to get a cash flow for a game they were in the middle of making when they were terminated. Only way MAG 2 would come about is new company buy rights to name MAG from sony or former zipper presidents. I'm assuming sony has the rights to the name. I don't understand why it HAS to have MAG 2 as title... if a company was smart they would make a game like MAG, but different title, maybe with game modes like domination on smaller maps with fewer players, i know many people that don't play MAG anymore at all or only play it when domination is going on. If you had fewer players wouldn't happen. Maybe some maps designed for only 1v1's and a system like black ops where you could watch the 1v1's. Also a feature where you could send whole clan a message at the same time. also maybe weekly tournaments where as an entry you could use money from playstation store.

Message 8 of 16 (935 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1467 posts

Oct 10, 2012

hitmanhuntr wrote:

Awwwww I felt smart to. :smileysad: Honestly i wasn't sure so I just went with what I thought. But oh well. :smileyhappy:

That's okay Hunter.... you still killed me in game.

The Butterfly Effect [}!{]

Butterflies.engin.com ------ for when you get banned from here

Photobucket
Message 9 of 16 (902 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
655 posts

Oct 10, 2012

This is True. :smileyhappy:

YouTube.com/HiTMaNHuntr

Message 10 of 16 (877 Views)