Lombax Warrior
144 posts

Re: Patch Alert: MAG v1.04a

Mar 17, 2010

geirbiscohn wrote:

The meatgrinder you are referring to happens on every map.  It all depends on who you're playing with and who you're playing against. 

And I think everyone should stop whining.  Seriously.  The game isn't perfect.  No game is.  It all comes back to the players.  The people that come on here whining about how unfair every faction/map/gun they go up against are the people who don't play this game the way it's meant to be played.  If you're in a good group, working together, and communicating then there should be no issues so major as to totally ruin your experience.  Since the majority of players don't play that way, the ones who do are the ones who win.

This is exactly the point that I was trying to make. If it all comes back to the players (and I believe that most of it does), then why are we constantly nerfing this or that, and changing maps around? Maybe people just need to get their game together, learn how to aim... or stores need to actualy start carding for games? 

DEVs - the only thing you need to worry about nerfing/patching are the gamers. THEY APPEAR TO BE BROKEN.
shadowrecon.aowc.net/
Message 31 of 114 (7 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

Mar 17, 2010

SabreMerc wrote:
or stores need to actualy start carding for games? 

I think that might actually be an interesting solution.  I swear, the other day two players were using their mics, and they couldn't have been more than eight or nine years old.  Not to mention, they had negative points and were complaining about it.

Message 32 of 114 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
144 posts

Mar 17, 2010

Dunno, apparently parents only really care if it's rated M.  My kid's 5... tbh, aside from a racing game - and especially from the Army time, mine won't be shootin stuff for quite a while.  There are way too many implications, and shades of gray, not to mention that younger minds a lot of times don't comprehend much more than I should hit R1 to shoot when facing a "bad guy"...

Dunno, maybe that one's just me.  Funny thing is I'm not all that old myself, only sittin at 26, but can definitely see that there should be more of a line drawn, both for those of us that understand whats goin on, and the kids. *shrugs* Guess thats just my two cents though as far as where half of these problems and suggestions for patches are comin from.

Maybe Zipper should stop reading the forums for input, and start having a sort of voice mailbox for suggestions / patch requests... and disregard any "22" (supposedly of course) y/o male that sounds like a 6 y/o girl... 

DEVs - the only thing you need to worry about nerfing/patching are the gamers. THEY APPEAR TO BE BROKEN.
shadowrecon.aowc.net/
Message 33 of 114 (7 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

Mar 17, 2010

I understand completely.  I'm not far off from you, and though I don't have any kids, the ratin system was still in effect for some of my life.  My parents took an active interest in the games I played, (heck my mom used to play college football with me, way back when) and I think that is the way to go. 

A voicemail system would be a great idea, it would let them get a feel for the people that actually care about the game and cut out the whiners. I'm not sure, but I would hope that when Zipper sees complaints or suggestions, they look into the players stats, level, etc. and really get a feel for who is saying what.

Message 34 of 114 (7 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

Mar 17, 2010

If they want to test balance they should create 1 map where all 3 pmc's get a chance to attack and defend the map. I would like to see the win/loss results across the pmc's after a week with things as they are now, a week with identical weapons, and a week with the teams using the opposing team's weapons.

Why when Zipper talks about balance, they nerf SVER? This board is filled with posts of Raven and Valor griping about how overpowered SVER is.  What about the one sided Raven aquisition map, Valor's LMG, Raven's no recoil weapons and Raven and Valors ability to get the aquisition vehicles out without needing to go through a gate.  I thnk SVER consistently wins because in my experience the average SVER player is older than the other PMC's.  At least through the first month before people started trophy vetting, most SVER games I played, people had mics, carried rez and used it on anyone down, not just squad mates, and they worked together toward the objective.  My Raven and Valor experiences differed greatly from SVER.  I have now have 7 or 8 hours each on Raven and Valor and 120 something on SVER.  

Are there some balance issues, sure, but all things being "balanced" or unbalanced as the case may be, the key to this game is numbers: those that stay together, rez together and then win together. Its not how many you shoot but how many you rez, the shooting will take care of itself.

Message Edited by sixwarden9 on 03-16-2010 10:56 PM
Message 35 of 114 (7 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

Mar 17, 2010

sixwarden9 wrote:

If they want to test balance they should create 1 map where all 3 pmc's get a chance to attack and defend the map. I would like to see the win/loss results across the pmc's after a week with things as they are now, a week with identical weapons, and a week with the teams using the opposing team's weapons.

Why when Zipper talks about balance, they nerf SVER? This board is filled with posts of Raven and Valor griping about how overpowered SVER is.  What about the one sided Raven aquisition map, Valor's LMG, Raven's no recoil weapons and Raven and Valors ability to get the aquisition vehicles out without needing to go through a gate.  I thnk SVER consistently wins because in my experience the average SVER player is older than the other PMC's.  At least through the first month before people started trophy vetting, most SVER games I played, people had mics, carried rez and used it on anyone down, not just squad mates, and they worked together toward the objective.  My Raven and Valor experiences differed greatly from SVER.  I have now have 7 or 8 hours each on Raven and Valor and 120 something on SVER.  

Are there some balance issues, sure, but all things being "balanced" or unbalanced as the case may be, the key to this game is numbers: those that stay together, rez together and then win together. Its not how many you shoot but how many you rez, the shooting will take care of itself.

Message Edited by sixwarden9 on 03-16-2010 10:56 PM

Agreed!  I just recently took some flak from another player, because I'll bounce around the map to where the most help is needed.  The person was actually yelling at me for rezing the other squads members.

Message 36 of 114 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Mar 17, 2010
Darkmanomega here, and I'm glad to hear that Zipper have pulled up their socks and started listening to the consumers. Now I have another question for you guys at Zipper, when will the rest of the world start getting the latest armor? Further more Zipper beg you please we're in need of more guns, for real. Assault rifles hand guns shot guns GUNS, GUNS, GUNS... If Modern warfare 1 & 2 even Bad company 1 & 2 has an assorted array of guns to choose from why can't it be said about MAG. But keep it real OK, this is Darkmanomega signing off Nuff said :manvery-happy:
Message 37 of 114 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4653 posts

Mar 17, 2010

Wraith_Leader wrote:

SabreMerc wrote:

That era of games apparently died with the NES.  Today's kids are only happy if they have uber powers and can blow through a game untouched from start to finish.  Challenge?  Its only a good game if its got great grfx... AND everything is handed to you on a silver platter.

That is unfortunate. Hopefully, Zipper realizes that those people should not be their target audience.  I have been a life-long gamer.  My first system was a Sega Gamegear, and I loved those games because of the challenge. 

Unfortunately, as proven by most every patch since beta, Zipper does not realize that these people shouldn't be their target audience. It seems that most kids today believe that balance = equality and it is a shame that Zipper listens to them. Many of us during the beta struggled to help Zipper understand that balance in MAG should be created by inequality and Zipper seemed to understand that somewhat. Since the beta ended they have totally forgotten it or have simply completely thrown that ideal in the trash.

It is a shame that MAG couldn't have been a break from the cookie cutter shooters of the moment. I had hoped that this would be a game for the rest of us that like challenges and are looking for a game that seperates itself from the crowd. What a terrible shame that Zipper continues to fold under the pressure of the casual player today who wants it easy.

In the end it will be Zipper and MAG that is the biggest loser for this. You see, the ones who are driving for MAG to be just another every day shooting game will see MAG as just that...another shooter in the collection to be forgotten over time. Another game that's interesting for a minute but then is put on the shelf to gather dust. The group who is left out in these nerfing patches are the players who would be the die hard fanbase. We are the ones who, when we find the perfect game for us, hold loyalty to that game. We are the ones who would still be playing 4 years from now because this is the only game out of the masses of shooters that appeals to what we want in a game. We are the ones who would buy the DLC and the sequals. We are the ones that Zipper could count on for the long haul. It's just so shameful that Zipper would rather tone down MAG, that they would rather take the color out and leave only grey.

It's a shame that Zipper doesn't have nearly the loyalty to us as we could have to them. 10 years from now where do you see MAG in the gaming world? Is it going to be a game for the hardcore player who will be a strong fan base and keep it alive? Or will MAG be just another shooter that came and went because Zipper tried so hard to please the casual player by turning it into just one more average shooter in a sea of FPS games? The way it's going now I have a very grim outlook for the future of MAG. If Zipper doesn't begin to get back to what MAG was supposed to be in the beginning...if MAG isn't turned back into the once great ideal that it was last autumn I seriously doubt that anyone will find any reason to hold loyalty to the game a decade from now. 

stargiss
Message 38 of 114 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Mar 17, 2010

darkmanomega wrote:
Darkmanomega here, and I'm glad to hear that Zipper have pulled up their socks and started listening to the consumers. Now I have another question for you guys at Zipper, when will the rest of the world start getting the latest armor? Further more Zipper beg you please we're in need of more guns, for real. Assault rifles hand guns shot guns GUNS, GUNS, GUNS... If Modern warfare 1 & 2 even Bad company 1 & 2 has an assorted array of guns to choose from why can't it be said about MAG. But keep it real OK, this is Darkmanomega signing off Nuff said :manvery-happy:

This, and not to pick on you personally Dark, but this is what I'd rather not see. At all. If you want guns I'd suggest the games you mentioned. And do you mean the free armor in the PS store anyone can download? MAG is a completley different style of fps...but zipper is running towards a cliff with blinders on and I don't think they see that fact anymore. The weapons define other games, MAG was supposed to be defined by the PMC's and the players loyal to them. You only need one gun to take someone down.

Message Edited by Crescent42 on 03-16-2010 11:46 PM
Message 39 of 114 (7 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Mar 17, 2010

It is nice to see some changes being made to equal things out a bit, there should be a lot more made yet, but I'll take what I can get. On Valor maps defending in Domination, the gates and/or bridges really don't don't do anything as APV's can just drive around them anyways. On objective "F" the door don't mean anything cause you can walk through the wall right beside it anyways. Also the disconnect problems are horibble, if I were to put a complaint every time, I would just be on the computer all day logging those.  Hope some more gets fixed up. Thanx.

Message 40 of 114 (7 Views)
0 Likes