Dec 05 2011
By: gkmackey First Son 5 posts

Killzone 3 May Be Best FPS

26 replies 1067 views Edited Dec 5, 2011

I own 2 PS3's. Before that back in the 80's before many were born I owned Sega Genesis. I was well old enough to legally drink beer even then. I am currently playing Battlefield 3 only. I am consistantly on the winning team and rank at the top or the top player of the match. Killzone 3 for me is the best FPS ever. Multiplayer, of course. I will buy Killzone 4 and I am sure it will be different than 3. Guerrilla is a stand out group. Killzone 3 is imersive. I have never felt so a part of the environment. The graphics set the industry standard. I have not played it in months, but I played it non stop from the night it came out at midnight until I reached the highest rank. It is the BOMB.

Message 1 of 27 (1,067 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1853 posts

Re: Killzone 3 May Be Best FPS

Dec 5, 2011

Killzone 3 is vastly inferior to both Killzone 2 and Battlefield 3. Its inferiority to Battlefield 3 can be excused since Battlefield 3 is newer, but its inferiority to its predecessor is unacceptable and disappointing.

The most direct comparison is between Killzone 2 and Killzone 3. A lot has already been said about why Killzone 2 is better, so I'll just reiterate two of the most obvious and problematic changes in Killzone 3: matchmaking instead of a server browser, and "Tactical Spawn Areas" with no squad spawning instead of spawn grenades with squad spawning.

The TSAs and lack of squad spawning often resulted in one team hopelessly base camping the other once that team controlled all the TSAs (since no Tactician could survive the run from his base to an army of enemies waiting for him at the TSAs). The spawn grenades had their problems but they were innovative and allowed a clever Tactician to turn a game around with a well placed spawn grenade (or at least attempt to leap-frog out of a base camping situation with sacrificial placement of spawn grenades near the base). Spawn grenades also allowed much greater variation in games since they could be placed nearly everywhere, as opposed to the statically (and sometimes stupidly) placed TSAs. Squad spawning helped avoid base camping and allowed clever squads to flank the enemy and again turn the game around. Battlefield 3 has squad spawning and sort of has spawn grenades in the form of the Recon class' spawn beacon, and I rarely see base camping. Even when base camping does occur in Battlefield 3, the camped team usually has plenty of room to step out of their base -- as opposed to getting shot by ten enemies when they stick a toe out of their base (Killzone 3).

The matchmaking algorithm has gotten better but has always been worse than the server browser; in Killzone 3 I was often put into games where my team had fewer players than the other team and was already being hopelessly base camped (see the above TSA problem), and with the matchmaking I had no way to avoid getting thrown into those games over and over again. In contrast, both Killzone 2 and Battlefield 3 have a server browser (Battlefield 3 even has a "quick match" option).

I played Killzone 2 for over a year and played for months after I reached the top rank and had unlocked everything, but in Killzone 3 I haven't been able to bring myself to reach the last rank. I moved on to other games and now that Battlefield 3 is out Killzone 3 is collecting dust.

I'm not sure what your chest-beating intro is supposed to achieve, either. You own 2 PS3s and you're older than most of us. Big deal. I searched your name ("gkmackey") on Battlelog and came up with this: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/soldier/gkmackey/stats/210604863/ps3/. I'm not sure if that's you, but if so I'm skeptical about your claims. That player has a decent win/loss ratio but not many MVP 1, MVP 2, and MVP 3 ribbons and a terrible KDR (so if that's you, how do you "consistently...rank at the top or the top player of the match"?).

Full disclosure: my Battlelog stats are at http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/soldier/Dark_Lord_Null/stats/357796946/ps3/

Message 2 of 27 (1,067 Views)
MVP Support
6471 posts

Dec 8, 2011

Killzone 3 is fantastic, ignore the haters.

Message 3 of 27 (1,067 Views)
First Son
17 posts

Dec 9, 2011

Killzone 3 is boss. Started playing this after I got bored of cod. Little hard to get used to but I love how it runs smoother and graphics are really nice

Message 4 of 27 (1,067 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1188 posts

Dec 10, 2011

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>THIS!!!

I played Killzone 2 for over a year and played for months after I reached the top rank and had unlocked everything, but in Killzone 3 I haven't been able to bring myself to reach the last rank. I moved on to other games and now that Battlefield 3 is out Killzone 3 is collecting dust.

Everything DL has posted here is FACT. His feelings speak volumes for a majority of the killzone players who have been there since day 1. and have continued to play and support KZ2. The game in my honest opinion is still far superior to much of the crap thats being punched out today. KZ3 was a complete failure, because the devs were forced to bring a "fresh approach" to a game that was never broken.

The converstaions are old hat...... I still play Kz2 because when I get frustrated with the garbage that BF3 provides.  its like  a breath of fresh air. and that comfortable pair of shoes. it just fits and feels right......

Message 5 of 27 (1,067 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2416 posts

Dec 11, 2011

I'm a little bit late to the party but I just bought Killzone 3 finally.  I loved Killzone 2 and Killzone 3 is even better.  I'm just getting started but i'm sure that I will end up buying all of the dlc and playing the ever loving crap out of the game.  I would definitely agree that Killzone 3 is the best FPS ever.  It takes full advantage of the PS3 and most importantly it's fun.  Multiplatform games like the Call of Duty games never seem to look that great on the PS3.  They look like an Xbox 360 game with slightly better graphics that are barely noticeable.  I will stick with Killzone 3 as my primary FPS that I play until Killzone 4 comes out.

Message 6 of 27 (1,067 Views)
Lombax Warrior
196 posts

Dec 15, 2011

Kz3 is nothing more but a rushed game so it could get to the masses. GG took the direction by making it very COD.

GG took everything that made KZ2 great and flush it down the the toilet

i suggest u get yourself KZ2 and you'll know the difference.

Message 7 of 27 (1,067 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
830 posts

Dec 22, 2011

Warrick_84 wrote:

Kz3 is nothing more but a rushed game so it could get to the masses. GG took the direction by making it very COD.

Really?  I'm not in any way downing KZ2, It's a great game in its own right.  I just prefer the responsiveness and look of KZ3.  It's more appealing to me.  I care not about being called a casual gamer and all that jazz,  I simply prefer the way KZ3 plays.

Is that a bad thing? 

Photobucket

Message 8 of 27 (1,067 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1908 posts

Dec 24, 2011

I find Killzone 2 to be superior in story and multiplayer, but I still love Killzone 3. The main issue is the lack of veteran community in killzone 3. I consider the killzone franchise as a whole the best FPS games ever in comparison to everything, MP and SP included.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 27 (1,067 Views)
Fender Bender
3059 posts

Dec 29, 2011

MistaSpin wrote:

Warrick_84 wrote:

Really?  I'm not in any way downing KZ2, It's a great game in its own right.  I just prefer the responsiveness and look of KZ3.  It's more appealing to me.  I care not about being called a casual gamer and all that jazz,  I simply prefer the way KZ3 plays.

Is that a bad thing? 

It's not a bad thing but I'd rather have everything that made KZ2 great then the responsiveness and look of KZ3. For me KZ2 was the better of the two, the controls took sometime to get used to but other then that it has been the best fps experience I've had in a long time with any fps.

"I'm not a failure because I didn't win, I'm a failure because I didn't try." - Kev

Message 10 of 27 (1,067 Views)
0 Likes