Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 17 2010
By: commanderlewis Treasure Hunter 6086 posts

Killzone 3 - Ask the Dev thread

2275 replies 861 views Edited Jun 17, 2010

This is the official Ask the Dev thread.

Killzone 3 was recently announced, as most of you already know. There are rumors and questions flying around. But here is your chance to ask your question(s) to Motherh666. As many of you know he’s Seb Downie - Producer - Guerrilla Games.

Rules:

*Ask your Killzone 3 related questions.

* No repeats

* Expect a lot of No Comments for the time being (As some information isn’t ready for the public). So please, questions only so we can keep this thread tidy.

* No spoiler question(s) If a question has some spoiler in it; please use the spoiler Tag:

• it should look like this

*No MP question

Side note: The VIPs will help in answering some of the questions. But if any regular poster here has the answer to the question, please feel free to answer.

Also if you are going to answer the questions Please change the font color to THIS and also bold it

Important Note**: Please check back here at the main page, for questions already asked and answered.

Here is a list of questions already asked and answered:

When will Killzone 3  be released?  

Feb 2011

Box art, is it official?

According to IGN, it's official. but not final product (Don't quote me on that)

Was the sound really changed for the M82? Or does it now depend if you’re in a building or out in the open?

I can't answer about the sound being changed for M82 but Seb did say there are placeholder sounds (mainly voices) that will be replaced further in development, also there are some new refinements to the sound design allowing a more noticeable different from indoor to outdoor areas...I forget what the tech is called.

I saw a lot of clipping when Rico and Sev move. Specifically when Sev pulls Rico's foot out from under the Intruder and then continues to check the other soldier's pulse. While the animation/mo-cap was excellent, the clothes were clipping a lot. Will this be fixed?

All assets will be continually worked on and polished until release; the game still has a good 8 months development to go. Your question 4&5 fall into this category too.

The most asked question imo is about the controls.

Will they be the same or not as Killzone 2...

GG recognizes the complaints, they want the experience to still feel like Killzone but controls are constantly being tweaked and refined, not only focused on tactical play (using cover) but allow for a more run and gun style too. 

What are you doing to improve on the voiceovers which were a big complain in the last game?

In the E3 demo, they were better, but I'd like to know more about this topic.

Some voices in the E3 build are placeholder until voice actors are casted and recorded, also for the dialogue itself, GG are working tightly with a screenwriter to improve upon the sometimes overdone profanity in the squad and also the overall story.

Will there be multiple paths you can take to tackle a level?  Or maybe even quasi sandbox type of approach to your goals?

Multiple paths are one of the things GG is most focused on. They said in one of the interviews that besides having more expansive levels there would usually be more than one way to get around to the objective so that you can try different strategies and so that people who replay the campaign (for trophies and whatnot) can have a different experience every time they replay certain sections.

You can easily see in the E3 Demo that there are plenty ways around to get to the objective (In this case, the AA gun)

How did working in 3D affect the camera, gameplay, HUD, design etc. while still keeping 2D in mind?

Playing in 3D is quite a new experience, it affects the users experience quite a lot, but the 2D experience will be king. 2D will not suffer in order to make 3D bad-ass.

Will Jetpacks cause the HUD to go 3rd person or still 1st person while maintaining flight?

Jetpack is fully in 1st person. The HUD elements are mostly on the jetpack itself.  

Will Demetri Goritsas, Mickey O'Connor, and Charles Everett reprise their roles as Sev, Narville, and Rico?

Cast will be announced in due course. 

"We want the game play to cater to all audiences" I agree that in k2 it was difficult to aim for people who were use to twitch shooters but to what extent are you making it easier? Are you doing anything to improve the hit detection to get the bullets to go where you want them to go?

Hit-detection is important to get right, online and off and we'll be talking about improved accessibility over time.

I heard the environments are much bigger than KZ2's, which is how I like it, but one thing I didn't really like about KZ2 was the little half a second pauses while it saved or loaded in the next section. How does KZ3 do it? Same or None? I prefer the open world sort of thing.

The loading/streaming hiccups will be resolved.

Will the story play a bigger role in KZ3 than in KZ2, or will it play out more in the background again?

Story and dialogue are areas we needed and will improve upon greatly from Killzone 2.

How about destructibility of environments? Is there any info on that? It's great to blow holes in walls/tress/people?

It’s not BCII, but we will have more than KZ2.

Here is a list of questions already asked and awaiting answer:

- The knife stab should crack or completely break the Higgs' glasses. Right now, they don't show any sign of impact. Will that be added later on?

- I know the vignette effect goes away when the HUD is disabled, but can you please add an option to take it off separate from the HUD?

- We've seen that you can launch the Jetpack troopers up high by shooting the jetpack on their backs in order to kill them. Can they do the same thing to you when you're using the Jetpack?

- Will players be able to customize the button layout?

- Will you be able to perform Melee's while in a jetpack?

- Will we ever get any more Killzone avatars? Maybe with the Playstation plus service?

- I was wondering if they could discuss some of the improvements they've made to the KZ3 engine?  Graphically and gameplay wise.

- Will I be able to play as an undercover Helghast in Killzone 3?

- I heard there was civil war going on, are the enemies more concentrating on killing each other or am I still the top priority enemy to them in Kz3??

Here is a list of questions that will be answered at a later date: (Date unknown at this time)

Changes to MP

Co-op?

New weapons?

New Characters?

New Mp maps?

How long is this game?

Helpful guide:

Killzone 3 - Information Center

So fire away.

*This Thread has been approved by: Seb Downie - Producer - Guerrilla Games*

Commanderlewis – Killzone VIP

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Message 73 of 2,276 (861 Views)
Splicer
94 posts

Re: Killzone 3 - Ask the Dev thread (official)

Jun 16, 2010

1. Was the sound really changed for the M82? or does it now depend if youre in a building or out in the open?

|||Bob Marley |||

Message 1 of 2,276 (861 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2310 posts

Jun 16, 2010

I love this thread.

1. I saw a lot of clipping when Rico and Sev move. Specifically when Sev pulls Rico's foot out from under the Intruder and then continues to check the other soldier's pulse. While the animation/mo-cap was excellent, the clothes were clipping a lot. Will this be fixed?

2. The knife stab should crack or completely break the Higgs' glasses. Right now, they don't show any sign of impact. Will that be added later on?

3. I know the vignette effect goes away when the HUD is disabled, but can you please add an option to take it off separate from the HUD?

4. The on-screen blood looks a little too messy at times. Is this still being worked on?

5. When you initiate a buddy-assist moment (Boost to reach higher ground, etc) or begin to turn a valve, the transition from you putting the gun away to starting the new activity is kinda choppy. You can see the pause and skip between gameplay and animation. Will that be fixed? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 2,276 (861 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2289 posts

Jun 16, 2010

mmk, here goes:

We've seen that you can launch the Jetpack troopers up high by shooting the jetpack on their backs in order to kill them. Can they do the same thing to you when you're using the Jetpack?

That'd be an awesome first person death experience

Message 3 of 2,276 (861 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
550 posts

Jun 16, 2010

Will players be able to customize the button layout?

Thread Killer
Message 4 of 2,276 (861 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4536 posts

Jun 16, 2010

Mr. Seb, Will you be able to perform Melee's while in a jetpack?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 5 of 2,276 (861 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1163 posts

Jun 16, 2010

When your placing a C4 on a door, are using a turret or something like that, if you get shot blood wont appear on the screen but it will go to black and white. Can you make it so that blood WILL appear on the screen when you get shot because its hard to tell if your getting shot or not until the screen goes black and white.

Message 6 of 2,276 (861 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1028 posts

Jun 16, 2010

My question to Seb is if GG has any plans to improve the skirmish mode for KZ3? In particular giving offline all the same options as online has in terms of customizing the parameters of the game. Also if you could please make it so that we don't have to go online in order to unlock classes/weapons offline, ie. a separate ranking system or "offline profile" so that those of us without an internet connection can also enjoy the progression of ranking up and unlocking without being stuck just playing as the rifleman class. The amount of XP earned could be dependent on the difficulty setting. Would this not be relatively easy to implement?

Message 7 of 2,276 (861 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jun 16, 2010

The most asked question imo is about the controls.

Will they be the same or not as killzone 2...

I read the information about the single player and i read :

More "responsive" gameplay

How do we have to see this statement ??

Message 8 of 2,276 (861 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2865 posts

Jun 16, 2010

Will we ever get any more Killzone avatars? Maybe with the Playstation plus service?

Message 9 of 2,276 (861 Views)
0 Likes