Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 06 2009
By: GuitarrassDeAmor Wastelander 714 posts

Why I will not play KZ2 anymore, or why I'm trying not to...

101 replies 20 views Edited May 6, 2009

Guerrilla Games, Killzone 2 is broken, and needs to be fixed. This isn’t some letter from some random player nobody has ever seen. I’m in the top 2,000 or so, and have been a lot higher. My clan has tied EMAZING GAMING, the top clan, along with beating the top two and three, and beating the clans that are in other places like 12th 7-0.

For a clan focused game, it really makes you think how you can sit here, content with yourselves, and say that things such as hiding in your base are tactical. I mean, really…that’s probably one of the biggest bailouts I have ever heard for an ongoing problem. It isn’t tactical: if it was, then why are we supposed to return the propaganda speakers? Why isn’t there a loading screen that says “after you capture one speaker, run back to your base so the other team cannot get to you!”? Why is it not done in public games? Why do the clans that do this disable things like boost so that you cannot get the speaker as easily? Why are there spawn turrets to try to prevent us from going in their base? Do I need to elaborate more? It isn’t a tactical move- it is called cheating/exploiting. It is the same thing with body count- the other team gets a kill, and they run straight into their base so they cannot be killed. My clan has lost at least 6 matches because of cheating clans that do this. It is not tactical in any sense of the word. If you think this, not only are you cheating yourself, you are blatantly denying a problem that plagues the game and disables real clans from winning sometimes.
Now, I don’t mind losing in a legit way at all. In fact, I welcome it. If you can beat somebody, step up to the plate and do it! However, only challenge them if you can do it in a legit manner. So, how do we fix this problem? Well first of all, what you can do is make respawns mandatory. Such as, after 10 seconds, you have to respawn. That should solve the suicide problem. As for the turrets in the base, don’t let them respawn; simple. Not only does this give the other team a chance to get in there, it prevents them from really camping. Another option would perhaps to be block off the base after you come out. As in, block the ways to get into your actual base so you couldn’t camp; couple that with you have to leave your base before 15 seconds are up, and you have a winner. Perhaps even another solution would be to make the team lose the round automatically if they bring the objective to their base and leave it there for a certain amount of time. You could even do this during body count, by putting a timer at how long they sit in their base, and if it runs out, they lose the round. There is a ton of ways to go about preventing these cheaters from winning. It is up to you to take the responsibility to put them in.

There are a few things broken with weapons and classes. The first thing is the headshot system; it is broken. Killionare, the top player on KZ2, has said this himself. I’ve done it personally; shoot someone in the body, and instantly a headshot is received. I don’t know how it happens, but it does. Not only those, but people can spray with the ISA rifle, or shoot one or two bullets, and instantly get a headshot. I find the SMG and the ISA rifle to be the main “exploiting” guns in this problem, but no gun is really exempt from it, sans the STA-14 from what I have found. Even the LMG gets really lucky headshots. Perhaps this is due to the auto-aim which is still present (which I will touch on later). The shotgun gets really lucky headshots as well. There is another problem- the shotgun. The problem does not lie within the gun itself, it relies in the changes you have made to it. When the game first came out, people constantly complained that the shotgun was overpowered. Being my weapon of choice, I was a little bit pissed when the update released and it was toned down. I got used to this change however, and even got better with it. However, people kept complaining about the damage and range the shotgun had. So again, in the next update, you choose to lower shotgun damage and/or range. It is still usable, but people can now survive complete body shots, and kill you when you are setting up for the next shot. That is utterly ridiculous.
Now, let’s touch on the assault class. This class creates a lot of problems in the game. More than half of the games on KZ2 completely ban the assault class, or remove the weapons that it can use. So really, what is the point of having it in the game? I love the boost ability, and I feel it is the best ability available. However, when somebody bans full assault because they are scared someone will use the class just with the magnum, there is a problem. Now, I know you guys didn’t intend for this class to be a problem at all; in fact, I’m pretty sure it was mainly meant for turrets and search and destroy. However, when guys are just spamming grenades and rocket launchers all over the place, it creates one hell of a cluster that nobody wants. To fix this, what should you do? Well, to me the solution is simple. You could remove the second assault health layer first of all. This would prevent people from using the pistol and assault only. Next, you could make the Helghast rocket launcher two hit. It could hold two, and take a bit longer than the shotgun to get ready for the next shot, and that would eliminate the problem with the instant kills. This could take away as much health as the magnum, while in turn still be very useful for some situations. The boost could even refill his health to full just for the assault class, as it was meant to have heavy armor. The double health really needs to go though, and the rockets need tweaking.

The saboteur needs some tweaking for the disguise. For experienced players, it is blatantly obvious who the enemy saboteurs are. They are the standard soldiers, and appear darker. If are you playing a 4v4 clan match, and everybody on your team is using a real class, is it that hard to see that the standard soldier you see is an enemy? What needs to happen is that the saboteur disguises with the same costume of the guy he is disguised as. Not only would this make it more challenging, it would make the game more tactical. Another problem is with the tactician. Now, the class itself is fine, however the spawn points are a little problematic. I know you put the invulnerability there to stop people from camping the spawn, and that would be okay if it wasn’t such a problem for some matches. If you are in the heat of the battle, you can’t just run away from a spawn point if it is just sitting there. Another solution would be to make the enemy weapons unable to fire until that invulnerability wears off. If the enemy spawns there, and you can’t kill them instantly, but they can kill you; this creates a bit of a problem for some rounds, especially search and destroy and capture and hold. Another problem is that the air bots are brain dead; constantly they run into each other, and can’t even properly kill someone. That air badge was the hardest for me to get- even harder than the melee. Just beef them up a bit.

Another thing is that the engineer needs to not be able to spawn and instantly lay a turret. Especially in search and destroy, this is horribly annoying when trying to plant and do certain things. Not only does it give easy kills, turrets are hard to kill, and are very distracting. Another thing that could help prevent this is the spawn timer, which could be raised to 10, or even 15 in certain modes. Another possible solution is to allow engineers to setup a turret after their limited invincibility is removed (taking into effect you don't remove that); however, when they respawn, the turret time is still there. This would stop turret spamming, as well as give others a chance to set them up.

Auto aim was one of the biggest controversies in this game at the time of launch. Now, I never really had a huge problem with it, but this was said to be one of the reasons the shotgun was toned down in the first update. There is auto aim on every weapon still, including the shotgun. This goes especially for the SMG, the ISA rifle, and the Magnum. Constantly, I find my gun moving across the screen at a target, or where a target was, when I am focusing on another. Not only does it give some an advantage, it is very annoying to players who can play well without it. I’ve also heard that it is easily exploitable, and that some people use it to their advantage in public and clan matches alike. It needs to be taken out completely, out of every gun, and for real this time.

Another huge problem my clan, as well as other clans, seem to have is lagging. Not only can you sometimes constantly shoot people and they do not die, and randomly teleport behind you resulting in death, some use this to their advantage, and end up winning matches because of it. Constantly my teammates and I have laid C4 in a doorway, on the search and destroy objective, and it has not blown up, or has blown up after they ran past it or planted. Just today, I shot a guy with the magnum while he was running and as he runs into the other room and kills my team mate, he falls over, and it gives me a kill. That is utterly ridiculous. What the game needs to have is pings for matches and players. It needs to check certain players to make sure their pings aren’t spiking throughout the match, or lag switching, and also needs to record the average ping and post it on the scoreboard as well as on the battle replay. This would save a lot of people the trouble of playing some of the clans that lag, purposely or not, and result in a better community. You can also have ping restrictions for matches if possible, public and private. This would minimize lag overall.

So, Guerrilla Games, we are asking for a solution to these problems. I speak on behalf of the whole community when I say that these need to be fixed. Not only does it hinder the game from being perfect, it makes people not want to play at all, which is not a good sign. Fix these problems, or at least work towards fixes, and we will be content until they are released. Wrongful doings should be punished. You guys have put out a brilliant FPS; online and off it excites me. It is currently the only online game I play constantly, and is my favorite FPS, and damn near my favorite game. However, to keep the community going, you have to listen to them, and adhere to the problems with adequate solutions.
Get these fixed guys- make a great game perfect.

-My Name (GuitarrassDeAmor)

So yep. I wrote that 1,905 word email to GG. And here is what they send me:

Hi My Name,

I don’t have the luxury of time to answer everyone of your questions or respond to all your feedback, but I have read through it and it has been helpful.  We are constantly looking to improve the game with patches and DLC and will continue to do so for a while yet.  We have not finished with this game by a long-shot.

Seb

Now, come on. I take the time, to group a lot of what the community and myself/my clan think is wrong with the game, into one big letter, and it gets ignored? My response:

I realize your time is valuable Seb. I also realize the KZ2 team is trying to release DLC and patches. However, you can't just sit there and let a game remain broken. All I did was take everything the community said, and put it into one huge letter. I realize it is long, but I would very much like a response from yourself or the team if you get a chance. These things are BREAKING the game, and it isn't something that can be just left alone.

My Name

I'm sorry, but this is unnaceptable. At LEAST he could have said "We have read your email and are taking these matters into consideration." Are you kidding me? Basically, this is more or less a "Screw you, our game is perfect."

I'm really **bleep**ing tired of broken games. I REALLY AM.

I don't care if you don't agree with the points I laid out, I am just making known why.

----------------------------------------------------

My Website: Wallpaper Euphoria

I play BF:BC2 a lot.
Message 1 of 102 (20 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1911 posts

Re: Why I will not play KZ2 anymore, or why I'm trying not to...

May 6, 2009
When you said you were speaking on behalf of the whole community, you weren't speaking for me... Goodbye.
Message 2 of 102 (20 Views)
Lombax Warrior
157 posts

May 6, 2009

I've just traded Killzone 2 and your post cites most of the reasons for my trade and for the game's poor sales performance.  Kudos!  It's rare to see someone actually take the time to intelligently articulate their position in such detail.  Most posts are like ClinTon's...utterly empty of any conversational or analytical value.

KZ2 could of been a contender but like Frontlines, Battlefield Bad Comany, Gears of War 2, Resistance, and so many other games GG killed the MP aspect with their bugs, server instability, poor controls, and most importantly failure to deliver what they promised with respect to clan support.

I suppose the good news is that the business community (ie investors and senior management) are not going to tolerate this sort of nonsense much longer.  Given the huge development costs of games such as Killzone 2 they're going to demand more and more accountability from developers for sales performance.  Deliver outstanding sales and profit and you'll be able to write your own ticket as a developer.  Fail and you'll "never work in this town again".

And even gamers are drfiting away from the "must buy on release day" attitude.  We've been burned too many times by hype spread on forums and publicastions such as IGN and Game Informer.  With speedier communications gamers might still pre-order from the likes of EB Games or Game Spot and then read the initial reactions before picking up their pre-orders.  The old days of "publish-n-patch" are likely going by the wayside as a result. 

Between Resistance, Killzone, and SOCOM I think PS3 gamers are getting tired of huge promises and incomplete delivery. 

"We did a lot of testing with the auto aim, and added it because it was too hard to track moving enemies."

Guerrilla Games' Hermen Hulst on KZ2's control problems
Game Informer, May 2009
Message 3 of 102 (20 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1911 posts

May 6, 2009

SgtSchwerpunkt wrote:

I've just traded Killzone 2 and your post cites most of the reasons for my trade and for the game's poor sales performance.  Kudos!  It's rare to see someone actually take the time to intelligently articulate their position in such detail.  Most posts are like ClinTon's...utterly empty of any conversational or analytical value.

KZ2 could of been a contender but like Frontlines, Battlefield Bad Comany, Gears of War 2, Resistance, and so many other games GG killed the MP aspect with their bugs, server instability, poor controls, and most importantly failure to deliver what they promised with respect to clan support.

I suppose the good news is that the business community (ie investors and senior management) are not going to tolerate this sort of nonsense much longer.  Given the huge development costs of games such as Killzone 2 they're going to demand more and more accountability from developers for sales performance.  Deliver outstanding sales and profit and you'll be able to write your own ticket as a developer.  Fail and you'll "never work in this town again".

And even gamers are drfiting away from the "must buy on release day" attitude.  We've been burned too many times by hype spread on forums and publicastions such as IGN and Game Informer.  With speedier communications gamers might still pre-order from the likes of EB Games or Game Spot and then read the initial reactions before picking up their pre-orders.  The old days of "publish-n-patch" are likely going by the wayside as a result. 

Between Resistance, Killzone, and SOCOM I think PS3 gamers are getting tired of huge promises and incomplete delivery. 

So does this mean we won't be hearing from you around here anymore?? 

Message 4 of 102 (20 Views)
Lombax Warrior
117 posts

May 6, 2009
bad color font
Message 5 of 102 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1558 posts

May 6, 2009
so long, don't let the door hit you in the ass
A Land Trout saved is a land trout earned.
Message 6 of 102 (20 Views)
Limit Breaker
28040 posts

May 6, 2009

Like my opinion or not but it is what it is. You can analyze and pretend to know what's going on behind the scenes at any game developer / publisher all you want. It doesn't change the fact that this guy went in solo claiming to speak for someone else and got put in his place for it- in a polite way too, might I add.

Let's see how relevant your complaints will be about a game you no longer own in the following days.  Peace.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Get your Portable ID! | Killer Bees on the Swarm
Message 7 of 102 (20 Views)
Sackboy
589 posts

May 6, 2009
Why so much RED? My freakin' eyes are bleeding now!!
Message 8 of 102 (20 Views)
Wastelander
714 posts

May 6, 2009

SgtSchwerpunkt wrote:

Hear ye, hear ye.

BJD66 wrote:

Dude...lighten up...it's a GAME.  Life is too short to expend this kind of energy on a product meant for entertainment.  Unless it directly affects your life..ie. health, finances, or relationships...then let it go. 

Put things into perspective.  I'm sure you are a heck of alot better gamer than I am, but I'm just in it for the fun and some of the people that I've become somewhat familiar with here on this forum.

I respect you position...but this surely isn't a priority in your life....right?

I play games for a living. I'm in school, and don't like to do anything else with my free time. Obviously it doesn't affect my health and money situations or relations- it is a game. I didn't say that in any shape. I'm in it for the fun too- but if a game is broken, where is the fun? Exactly...
Message Edited by GuitarrassDeAmor on 05-06-2009 07:23 PM
----------------------------------------------------

My Website: Wallpaper Euphoria

I play BF:BC2 a lot.
Message 9 of 102 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
28040 posts

May 6, 2009

GuitarrassDeAmor wrote:

SgtSchwerpunkt wrote:

Hear ye, hear ye.

BJD66 wrote:

Dude...lighten up...it's a GAME.  Life is too short to expend this kind of energy on a product meant for entertainment.  Unless it directly affects your life..ie. health, finances, or relationships...then let it go. 

Put things into perspective.  I'm sure you are a heck of alot better gamer than I am, but I'm just in it for the fun and some of the people that I've become somewhat familiar with here on this forum.

I respect you position...but this surely isn't a priority in your life....right?

I play games for a living. I'm in school, and don't like to do anything else with my free time. Obviously it doesn't affect my health and money situations or relations- it is a game. I didn't say that in any shape. I'm in it for the fun too- but if a game is broken, where is the fun? Exactly...
Message Edited by GuitarrassDeAmor on 05-06-2009 07:23 PM

I don't dismiss your right to complain. You think the game is broken...fair enough. But I think you're exaggerated a bit about getting upset over a short response. I don't think Seb or anyone else at GG for that matter has all the time on their hands to reply to what could potentially be hundreds of emails with suggestions and complaints on a daily basis.

In fact, I'm quite surprised you got a non automated email back from them. That's more than most ever get.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Get your Portable ID! | Killer Bees on the Swarm
Message 10 of 102 (20 Views)