Apr 09 2010
By: Dark_Lord_Null Uncharted Territory 1853 posts

What's wrong with the controls?

6 replies 17 views Edited Apr 9, 2010

For awhile I've seen a lot of people complain about Killzone 2's controls. But, I don't see anything wrong with the controls. I haven't changed them from the defaults and I do fine on both the campaign and Warzone.

Now, I haven't played CoD MW or MW2 but I'm no stranger to the FPS genre -- I've played some of the older CoD games, Goldeneye 64, Perfect Dark, Black, Ghost Recon, SOCOM (sort of a FPS), Killzone, etc. Obviously, the controls are at least slightly different for each game, but I've never felt the controls were a serious problem for any FPS game I've played.

So, I really don't understand why so many people complain about Killzone 2's controls. Is it just that I'm versatile enough to adapt to each games' controls and I don't care enough about the controls? Or do the complainers just have a problem because Killzone 2 doesn't "feel" like MW2?

Message 1 of 7 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
461 posts

Re: What's wrong with the controls?

Apr 9, 2010

All personal preference. I agree the original controls were fine. Theres just a lot of complainers that wish every shooter game played the same and you didnt have to adapt to different controls.

Thats what makes Killzone different and unique. Theres not a shooter out there that looks and feels like KZ2. I'm thankful for that. Any hardcore/veteran gamer I hope would feel the same way.

Message 2 of 7 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1558 posts

Apr 9, 2010

It has a considerable amount of input lag than any other shooter has.

Now, we could argue all day about this being a design choice (pseudo-weight) or not, but personally, I like it because you need that much more "skill" to master it by knowing how to plan your aim.

A Land Trout saved is a land trout earned.
Message 3 of 7 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
376 posts

Apr 9, 2010

Same, I can adapt to and go back and fourth between games. No problems

Message 4 of 7 (17 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1300 posts

Apr 10, 2010

dkramer wrote:

Now, we could argue all day about this being a design choice (pseudo-weight) or not, but personally, I like it because you need that much more "skill" to master it by knowing how to plan your aim.

Therin lies the difference of opinion.  I think we can all agree that KZ2 has some of the most input-lag infested controls we've ever seen in a FPS.  But we differ in how we interpret this fact.  Some people choose to interpret this as a sign of realism, like you.  These people cite that not everything happens automatically in real-life so there must be a "waiting" period between every movement. 

While others choose to interpret this input lag as the antithesis of realism because they don't actually perceive any "waiting" period when doing normal human tasks.  For example, when one raises their hand, do they have to "wait" for it to happen?  Not perceptually.  The brain fills in that millasecond of lag between thought and action so the movement feels like it's taking place instantly.  They see any more artificial lag placed between actions as adding a lag that is actually never perceieved in real-life.  I obviously hold the latter belief.  I can't stand KZ2 because the controls feel like there always a step behind my commands.  It feels like I'm walking in a pool of molasses - something I never experience in real life.  And I play a lot of sports.  Perceptually, everything feels instant - even though I realize that technically, that's not the case.  And while I "get" the concept of adding input lag to compensate for this reality, I just think Guerilla's "solution" adds as much problems as it solves.  Personally, I don't believe we even have the technology to address this problem yet.  I think the PS3 controller is far too simplistic for any realistic solutions.

Message 5 of 7 (17 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5687 posts

Apr 10, 2010

dkramer wrote:

Yes, I agree, controls are perfect, just not as responsive as other FPS.

Message 6 of 7 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
456 posts

Apr 10, 2010

dkramer wrote:

In that case why not just use our feet to control the game? That would make the game much more skill orientated.

--------------------------------------------------------
SgtSchwerpunkt once wrote:
Fan Boy Definition: one who undermines your product by blinding you to its flaws
Fan Boy Solution: ignore them and focus on market-driven success

----------------------------------------------------------
Message 7 of 7 (17 Views)
0 Likes