Lombax Warrior
124 posts

Re: PORT FORWARDING, TRIGGERING, & QoS SETUP FOR KILLZONE 2, PS3 & PSN

Jan 21, 2010
Hi all,
Sorry for not answering - been playing a lot of MW2 lately and been sick to boot, so haven't been online much. I'll try to answer the latest questions in one post. Something I've not mentioned either before now - though I do use the setups I've show in my original post, I'm also a Network Consultant. I don't just use the settings myself - what I've written here I also tell my clients. I spent a good bit of time with Linksys to get the proper setups and understand what works and what doesn't for gaming setups. If it doesn't work right for you, I'd be willing to bet it's something you missed. Virtually all support cases I deal with are user related - meaning people just don't understand how everything is supposed to work. For those who wish to do something different, more power to you - the rest of us always need bullet sponges online for our K/D and win ratios.

Virgosamp:

MW2 is using different servers than COD4, and hence they're also using different single ports and port ranges. Note that they also have had problems with some of the matchmaking servers in different regions, but that hasn't been a problem the past couple of weeks.

Here are the current Ports for MW2:

Call of Duty - MW2

TCP 27014-27050
UDP 1500, 3005, 3101, 27000-27030, 28960

Cereal/Ihopethisisfree:
You're not the first with this question/statement. UPnP (Plug 'n Play) is a network communication standard that allows you to plug it in to your network and have the device be recognized by the system or network it's connected to. In the case of Port Forwarding, it does not open any port it doesn't need, including PS3/PSN and individual OLG ports. It also does not prioritize data, which is what Quality of Service is for. Ports are normally closed for security reasons (an open port can be pinged by an intruder) which is why Port Triggering is preferable to ranging or single port forwarding. With Ranging/SPF, the ports/ranges are open all the time. With Triggering, the host application triggers the port upon request and is otherwise closed.

UPnP is normally enabled/disabled in the router's admin panel. While it's initially possible to have a NAT 2 when you start up, if your ports aren't set right, it'll change to a 3 in a flash, likely without you realizing it. It only happens when the specific ports are needed to access another PS3 or the PSN. As far as specific game ports, all OLG's have specific ports (SCEA games have default port ranges they use) that they use for their games. Having freeze issues recently with MW2, I remembered reading before the release that Infinity Ward was changing to a different server setup for MW2, and it occurred to me they might be using different ports than COD4/5. Sure enough, when I checked, the ports were different for MW2. Since I've added them, I've not had a game freeze since.

Badnews:
You're actually better off getting an N router and setting it to Mixed or G mode rather than getting another G. For one, you'll get the increased range and signal a DBN router will give you. Second, if you ever upgrade your network devices to N (and you will at some point), you won't be faced with buying another router. Dual-Band N routers have come down considerably in price since the N standard was (finally) ratified by the IEEE a couple of months ago. You can get one for about 130 bucks. Hook a WGA600N gaming adapter to your PS3 and connect it to the router's 5ghz network band, and your PS3 will connect at N speeds, while your G devices can be run on the 2.4ghz band. You can set both network bands up individually - one for N, and the other for G only devices.

Deathmagnet & Orca:
Static IP's and DMZ's are for firewall connection issues with your PS3, not any Port Forwarding or QoS issues. I won't even begin to discuss the security target a DMZ'd system is, since it's open to the internet at all times. Sure, it opens everything, but if your system is being repeatedly pinged on all open ports it'll cause a hell of a slowdown. No offense, but I've always felt that using a DMZ is the way out for those who don't want to learn Port Forwarding. It's great if you're dealing with firewall issues, but that's about it. As for your statement that your PS3 is the only target for a security attack, where do you think your financial info for the PSN is located? Personal Pics? Home **bleep**o Videos? Of course if you don't have a problem with that stuff being plastered all over the 'net, that's your call. If that's the kind of "advice" you're spreading, I can only pray for the poor souls who've listened. Caveat Emptor.

Also, not to rain on your IS degrees, but I've been dealing with computers and networks longer than you've been alive - damn near 40 years. I was a support manager for HP/Honeywell systems before people even knew what word LAN meant or they even created IS degrees. So if your "info" helps those who are willing to buy it, that's fine. I only deal with what I've learned in my career and what I've learned from Linksys Engineers. Not that they know anything about their own products and how to set them up optimally for gaming. No, I never finished my degree - never needed it, always hired on experience. Also, in my professional career, I know BS when I encounter it. I'm also blunt and to the point.
No offense.

Nagadas:

The problem you're describing is consistent with a bad port setup. Mother666 (one of the KZ2 producers) sent me a personal thank you message for my original post, which has allowed them to route many people having similar problems here rather than try to talk them through it on the phone. Of course the other problem could be lag related - if you're using an Ethernet hookup rather than Wireless N, remember your best speed is only going to be 100mbps, lower if your incoming signal is lower than it should be (e.g., your street connection is a good distance from your modem), or if you've got multiple devices hooked to your incoming broadband line (several cable boxes, etc.) The more you have connected, the more voltage drop over that network is increased. Most people don't realize that Wireless (N anyway) is faster than Ethernet. For those who don't understand, it's simple - you can only move so many electrons through any given wired conductor. Your Router's wireless is essentiall a mini radio transceiver, connecting to your PS3. Radio moves at the speed of light, barring any local interference. If you took HS science, that should be enough for you to understand. Remember also that advertised speeds and actual speeds during play are vastly different.

"Age, Wisdom, & Treachery overcomes Youth, Skill, & Daring"

Former Sony G.A.P. Member
Linksys Dual-Band N Network
MOH, RDR, KILLZONE 2/3, COD 4/5,MW2, B'Ops, Battlefield 1943, BFBC2, BATTLEFIELD 3, BLACK OPS 2:

TSD_-RAVEN-

Clans: MoBn, NBK
Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 79 (645 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 25, 2010

Your post was very enlightening but IM sorry if I did not see it. My situation is my little brother just purchased a new ps3 and I have one as well. We bought killzone 2 together but it keeps kicking us off when we try to play it together. I have a linksys g router in my room. Do I need to buy a new router or better band. We can play separately online perfectly.

Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 79 (645 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1908 posts

Jun 28, 2010
If people are still having trouble switching from something like NAT 3 to 2 or 1 I got a good solution. I tried a lot of this port forwarding and never got anywhere. However it all depends on your ISP. What you can do is call your ISP and ask them to "Bridge your connection". I did this and it took like 5 minutes and it was fixed. If your having trouble, try this.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 79 (645 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
124 posts

Sep 28, 2010

You can play head-head PS3 - PS3 in the same home if you have external adapters for your PS3's - most newer Gaming Adapters and Routers already have setup instructions in their manuals for just this type of situation, assuming the game itself supports it. Essentially what you're doing is creating an internal LAN with your 2 PS3's at home (normally online you're part of a LAN that includes thousands of other PS3's) and gaming between each other. The key though, is having external wireless adapters, since you cannot customize the settings of the PS3's internal Wireless G adapter.

MOH, RDR, KILLZONE 2/3, COD 4/5,MW2, B'Ops, Battlefield 1943, BFBC2, BATTLEFIELD 3, BLACK OPS 2:

TSD_-RAVEN-

Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 79 (645 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1844 posts

Sep 28, 2010

I am still getting the 5021, 4512, and 8013 error codes that disconnect me from KZ2. I have a new Linksys E3000 router and I run wireless, and went on a live chat to have them port forward the router, yet I still get DC'd.  Very frustrated ...may need to contact my ISP ( I am sure that will be a fun conversation  and I am not even sure what they will be able to do ) Any ideas on the error codes I am plagued with?

.RATT   Clan

Photobucket.RATT CLAN....... KZ2 CIC......... KZ_VIP
Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 79 (645 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1853 posts

Sep 29, 2010

BJD66 wrote:

I am still getting the 5021, 4512, and 8013 error codes that disconnect me from KZ2. I have a new Linksys E3000 router and I run wireless, and went on a live chat to have them port forward the router, yet I still get DC'd.  Very frustrated ...may need to contact my ISP ( I am sure that will be a fun conversation  and I am not even sure what they will be able to do ) Any ideas on the error codes I am plagued with?

.RATT   Clan

Run a ping test to check your connection. One weekend I was getting a lot of 4512 errors and the ping test showed that my connection's jitter was terrible. It went away a few days later and I haven't had too many issues since, and my connection's jitter is back to normal now. If that's your problem then you have to talk to your ISP. You don't necessarily have to run the ping test on your PS3 -- you can just check your connection with another computer first if that's more convenient.

Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 79 (645 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
124 posts

Oct 4, 2010

Those error codes are directly related to PS3 port communication problems over the PSN.

It's important to have the PSN ports required for PS3-PS3 communication over the PSN set up on your Router -

ROUTER NAT AND UPnP MODES - ENABLED

*Note: Make sure to enable these TCP/UDP ports in BOTH directions (i.e, for Routers that have TCP, UDP, and Both for settings, set them to Both. If your Router doesn't have that type of setting, set the Port to either TCP or UDP as indicated, and enable the pass-through in both directions (full duplex))

TCP Ports: 10070 - 10080
UDP Ports: 10070 Voice Chat: UDP 6000-7000, 10070 (for headset operation) Remote Play via Access Point: TCP 9293

PLAYSTATION Network: TCP Ports: 80, 443, 5223 UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, 3658

TSD_-RAVEN-

Please use plain text.
Message 46 of 79 (645 Views)
Splicer
48 posts

Oct 10, 2010

Ok I'm having a bit of an issue here.

I currently have 2 PS3's at home, one of which I set to a DMZ server, and the other which i simply forwarded all the necessary ports to. I recently downloaded the Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Beta and attempted to play on either system. The system that I have ports forwarded on seems to do perfectly connecting to the game servers and matchmaking. On the other hand, the system I have set to a DMZ has issues connecting to any matches whatsoever in the game. I even went ahead and switched the two PS3's static IP's so that the DMZ server and forwarded ports were switched from system to system. I had the same issue, the system that was on the DMZ server would not connect to a match and the system with the forwarded ports had no issues at all.

I was wondering if there's any way to set up the network and ports properly for BOTH systems to be able to connect without issues. Because right now I can only play the Beta on the system with the forwarded ports and not the other. 

I also had another question:

I went into my router settings to switch from port Forwarding to port Triggering but the interface here seems to differ from your instructions. When I choose to add a new service under port Triggering I get two sections. the first section asks for the service name, service user (any or single address), service type (TCP or UDP), and Triggering port (only one number slot). Then the second section is labeled "Required inbound Connection". under this I'm asked the following: connection type (TCP, UDP, or Both), starting port, and ending port. How would I properly set this up? Would it be safer to set this triggering up rather than forwarding? And would I be able to set this up for BOTH PS3's?

I appreciate any help you could give me with this.

Please use plain text.
Message 47 of 79 (645 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
124 posts

Oct 11, 2010

Stop using a DMZ for one of your PS3's - aside from being a security issue, DMZ's usually result in the Router getting a ton of unwanted incoming traffic since it opens and exposes all ports to the Internet for that IP address.

You only need to specify an IP address for any given specific PS3 when you're using Single Port Forwarding or Port Range Forwarding - for Port Range Triggering, the application (in this case the game) is what triggers the Port to open as needed from the system being used. The Router knows which system/application  triggered the request it comes from automatically.

I normally have all of the required PS3/PSN ports setup for Port Triggering, and then add specific game ports to SPF or PRF as necessary.  In your case, setup PRT with the necessary PS3/PSN ports, then use SPF and PRF to forward single ports / port ranges to each PS3 as necessary. You only need to change the name, which can be anything you want - you can enter the same ports using two separate service entries and forward them to the different PS3 IP addresses.

For example:

Service/Application Name: PS3-1   Range: 10000 - 10000  IP: 192.168.1.29

Service/Application Name: PS3-2   Range: 10000 - 10000  IP: 192.168.1.30

The reason I use PRT for the main PS3/PSN ports is that they're constant and don't change, However, the games and their specific ports do, and I often wind up having to remove old Port Data I've entered from an older game I'm not currently playing to make room for a new one.

Let me know if you still have problems with this.

TSD_-RAVEN-

Please use plain text.
Message 48 of 79 (645 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
48 posts

Oct 12, 2010

Well that cleared up a few things, thanks.

The only issue I have right now is properly setting up Triggering on my router settings.

As I said before, when I click the option to add a service under triggering I get two separate sections. They are as follows:

Service Name : ______

Service user:  Any (or) Single Address

(Here is a section to input an IP address if I choose Single Address)

Service Type: TCP (or) UDP

Triggering Port: ______

"Required Inbound Connection"

Connection Type: TCP (or) UDP (or) Both

Starting Port: _________

Ending Port: _________

I understand that I should use Single Addresses for specific games and "Any" for the constant PS3/PSN ports, but what I don't understand is why there are two sections to input the data and I am confused as to where to put what data.

Also, I wanted to know if there would be any conflict with the port triggering if I am using both PS3's simultaneously and possibly on the same game or service. If so, would it be better if I just set the ports to only one system and left the other as is?

Thanks again for all your help, it's very appreciated

Please use plain text.
Message 49 of 79 (645 Views)
0 Likes