First Son
16 posts

Re: *Official* Controller input

Feb 6, 2009
I've played FPS games since Wolfenstein 3D, 18 years ago.  I've seen a few games experament with controller lag and they were all terrible.  It hurts the gameplay.  There is a tremendous difference between the game having a weighty, realistic feel and your aiming.  Even with the XY sensitivity turned all the way up, Killzone 2 still lags really bad.  It's unnessessary and hurts the game experience.  I can't even imagine how aggrivating this problem is going to be online vs other humans.  Everyone is going to be moving fast, everyone is going to be firing and peeking around corners.  The controls need to be TIGHT for quick reaction time.  I primarily play online and the more I think about it, the more I think the controller lag is going to be a severe problem.  I haven't preordered yet (got the demo from the EU store), but if the control lag hasn't been fixed by launch, I don't think I'm going to be buying this game.
Message 150 of 3,072 (0 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 6, 2009

Demos are in no way a representation of the final product.  If they want to leave it the way it is that is fine with me, if they want to make it more responsive that is fine with me also.

This is Guerrilla Games' game, not ours.  It is up to them to determine how they want to make their own game.

Message 151 of 3,072 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
613 posts

Feb 6, 2009

archpsyker wrote:

Demos are in no way a representation of the final product.  If they want to leave it the way it is that is fine with me, if they want to make it more responsive that is fine with me also.

This is Guerrilla Games' game, not ours.  It is up to them to determine how they want to make their own game.

It's also up to them if they want the game to sell even better.

Message 152 of 3,072 (0 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Feb 6, 2009

I like the game's controls a lot. I didn't enjoy CoD4 because of it's twitch style and extremely quick response time, played the campaign through and dropped it, same with resistance1 and GoW1/2. Give me a game that is tactical and is not like Gears of War. I don't want to click a button and go into the wrong damn cover (this happened to me all the time in GoW 1 and 2. I think the ability to control  where and how you go to cover in addition to the weighted feel make this fine. I bumped up the sensitivity a little bit and the game felt very comfortable. I think if you max it out to prove that you are 'uber gamer no.1' you will just get frustrated.  Not only that, but because of the improved atmosphere it really did 'feel' just fine. I remember the original KZ was very sluggish and weighty to me but I'm pretty sure that was because:

1. I  Played Counterstrike all the time at that point which is very 'twitch based' (which is more stressful but not necessarily 'realistic')

2. The graphics or modeling could not convey the realism or 'weight of the gun' in the original KZ and as a result the paper model of a gun we were holding shouldn't have weighed as much as it did

In any case, moving aside from the difference of the original to this, the twitch environment is not what "I" want in my ideal Killzone 2 fun and bloody  FPS experience.  If you change the feel of the controls, you change the pacing, if you change the pacing, you ruin the campaign and possibly balancing in multiplayer. That would take a great deal of time to fix, and no one wants that. This is only one vote in the community, but in some ways I think they deserve to put the game out there as they want it. To many of these designers I'm sure this is more of their 'masterpiece' to them than a job.

Hell, why not give random people on the street a chance to play it for the first time and see how they feel about it? I mean, hardcore FPS fans are a huge part of this too but so is the rest of the gaming community.

Message Edited by GNGJohnnieWalker on 02-06-2009 11:39 AM
Message 153 of 3,072 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2543 posts

Feb 6, 2009

Starfleets wrote:
I have a question for those who defend the control sensitivity. If there was a poll sent to every one who played the demo about whether or not to take some weight off the game and add responsiveness to it, would you welcome the poll if it meant changes would happen if enough people wanted that change? Are you confident enough that those who are complaining about it truly are a minority?

Any imporvements that GG decided to implement into the game are more than welcome after having such a great experience with the demo...do I think they should listen to complaints that aren't fully substantiated and that could potentially wreck the structure, mechanics, and movements within game because it has a weight to it and people aren't familiar to it nor willing to try and become accustomed to it? NO!!! Their efforts could be better spent elsewhere imo. Like DLC

You will be ministers of death praying for war!!! -R.Lee Ermey
Message 154 of 3,072 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
641 posts

Feb 6, 2009
Unfortunate decision.
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1019 posts

Feb 6, 2009

I have the only solution.  Seb, I want Sony/GG to fly you across the pond to my house, where I will have a 12 pack waiting.  You will play my demo and tell me if it plays the same way as yours.  Then we will go from there whether we figure out if their is actually a problem or not.

MonsterHog
Message 156 of 3,072 (0 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 6, 2009

So the masses like twitchy games (ie Unreal Tournament, Call of Duty, Resistance, Halo, the list goes on), why can't theY accept not every FPS has to be a fast paced run and gun game?

If an RTS plays different then Starcraft people still play that RTS, if an RPG plays different then Final Fantasy then people still play the RPG, so why is it such a problem for a shooter to be different then the standard run of the mill gameplay? 

Message 157 of 3,072 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
142 posts

Feb 6, 2009

My biggest problem due to frustratingly sluggish controls is going to occur in the multiplayer. If you watch the KZ2 Multiplayer videos you see people doing the exact same thing during close quarter combat.<Running> <Running right past an opponent><*horribly slow* 180degree turn> (you can see the other opponent slowly turning as well, to geta bead on you)<commence shooting>. A game with good controls this should not be an aggravating maneuver, but I guarantee people coming from any FPS within the last year will be throwing their controllers against the wall, as turning and shooting become exaggerated tedious task.

Watching every multiplayer video you can see that peopleplaying pass opponents constantly, and then try to turn around extremely slowly. Mark my words if I pass another opponent in KZ2 multiplayer I am goingto just keep running. I could be halfway through the map before a 180 degree spin could be executed.

I've said this previously:

I almost wonder if the sluggish movement was more than anaesthetic decision and not a force change due to a technology limitation.Anyone that plays twitch shooters will tell you that fast turning can cause,significant framerate drops, screen tearing, texture pop in. The KZ2 developers have stated that they are pushing the PS3 and that the framerate teeters just above 30fps@720p. Reducing the turn rate could be due to tuning their FOV mechanic in their engine to eliminate the previously mentioned issues. (just a theory)

Message Edited by xenovis on 02-06-2009 11:43 AM
Message 158 of 3,072 (0 Views)
Lombax Warrior
144 posts

Feb 6, 2009

Do you guys remember the camera footage of KillZone 2 at CES? The guy who was playing it immediatelly complained about the weight of the controls and changed them. He was asked by the cameraman "Is it tight"? He responded "kinda".

I don't care anymore. I'll make a decision on whether or not I'll buy the game when it comes to release. This is months after having it on pre-order. I am heart broken by this 'design' decision but that's just the way Guerilla want to go. Hopefully it doesn't damage the game's reputation.

Message 159 of 3,072 (0 Views)