Mar 14 2009
By: casabolg Sackboy 460 posts

Assault ... IS BALANCED

75 replies 7 views Edited Mar 14, 2009

Earlier today I played some Assault on Salamun Market and Pyrrhus Rise on the Helghast side and looking though all the classes and I had to stop at the Assault class and say "That's a kick*bleep* overcoat" and clicked to play on that class. Luckily I had a game where all weapons are allowed and I got to try every weapon. I've originally heard that the Assault was unbalanced and generally unfair and I have to say that on paper, the class looks like it's a pain in the *bleep* to fight but I felt it much more balanced. The rocket launcher is slow, can be shot down, takes a while to load each shot, and mainly can only hold 3 shots at a time so if no one is repairing on your side you're pretty much screwed because of the lack of people who want to use the Assault class because of the lack of conventional weaponry and/or don't want to be whined at for, to quote those mad at me, having no skill at aiming. 

The rockets can be used very well to solve one of the game's biggest problems: spamming bottleneck areas. 7 people in one room with shotguns? *fires* Solved. It makes the enemies either whine or make their movements a little more planned and not "Lets all run up in here!".

While the rockets themselves can score kills to a decent effect, without support the Assault class can get screwed over quickly. With the low ammo and length between shots and reloading with the grenade launcher the class needs that body armour, though once it's gone it's never regenerating fully for you again, it makes the body armour something you want to ration the damage of. People have also said it's too hard to take them down... they need it, I think. Group of people run at you, you know you'd be aiming at the guy with the rocket launcher first.

As for the Grenade Launcher, it does make me laugh that no one thinks about what it can do. For those who want to run-n-gun with the assault it is a great weapon to use if you can take enough time to reload and stock up on ammo between. You do slightly less damage than the rocket and can fire more at a time so I do laugh when I see the rockets all locked and the grenade launcher my only choice because that just calls someone to run-n-gun. Though, if you want to use it properly, use it to rid the game of turrets and take pot shots into crowds. You can shoot around corners and even though you fired the grenades on the ground the enemies will think you've missed and walk right into it.

Now, finally, for Boost. Boost is by far one of the most useful secondary badges and can be used in two different ways. One fierce but easy to screw up, and one safe and efficient. The former of the two is running out into a battle to flank or surprise the enemy. The last thing they'd think is someone is an enemy is suddenly up close with them and definitely early on in the game. This idea can be messed up terribly by suicidal Assaults who want to run through the front lines and do as much damage as possible and is the hallmark reason the class is so bashed (that and the rocket launcher, a weapon that has been labeled unfair since day one). The other option to use Boost is actually to help something I've been mentioning quite a bit: Ammo. I've seen Assaults use their pistol more than any other class just because their out of explosives so use your boost as an escape tool. Get on the front lines and hurt their defense and when it becomes too tense and/or you have no ammo use the boost and get the heck out.

In general I believe the Assault class is a fair class that many don't know how to use correctly and while it's generally easy to get a kill, it's harder to get less deaths. Surviving as an Assault class is a skill few have.

I main Medic and Assault now, both with the repair secondary. 

Message 1 of 76 (7 Views)
Sackboy
460 posts

Re: Assault ... IS BALANCED

Mar 14, 2009
o_O Whoa! I actually got kudos!
Message 2 of 76 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
294 posts

Mar 14, 2009
Good post man.
Photobucket
Message 3 of 76 (7 Views)
Lombax Warrior
161 posts

Mar 14, 2009
Great post man, you're exactly right. Sometimes the class is annoying, but it IS balanced. It is annoying though when the assualt guys run around with the magnum.
Message 4 of 76 (7 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

Mar 14, 2009
fantastic post man, the class is balanced, and MLG hasn't come out with the official killzone 2 game rules yet. So you can't rule out the assault class just yet.
Photobucket
Killzone 2 Platinum Trophy >>Supreme Gamer>> PSN ID: J0hnNR3c0
Message 5 of 76 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5016 posts

Mar 14, 2009
That's EXACTLY what I've been saying. I don't use assault, but its balanced. Grass is just greener on the other side. When you use assault you actually envy people with regular guns especially when you run out of rockets. I love my medic class though. It's perfect.
Now playing: Gundemonium Collection (psn), Final Fantasy XIII
Message 6 of 76 (7 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
942 posts

Mar 14, 2009
The Assault does have a pretty significant advantage combat wise. You basically have to kill an Assault class twice because of their extra armor and you might even have to do even more damage if the boost is used because their health is regenerated. Their rocket launchers are slow, but they can wipe out half a team in a shot in tight rooms and you can easily switch to the magnum which is a beast of a gun. Not only that but you can easily pick up another gun that's lying on the ground. Assault with a shotgun=deadly.
Message Edited by Spham23 on 03-13-2009 11:33 PM
Message Edited by Spham23 on 03-13-2009 11:33 PM
Spham23 Trophy Card
Message 7 of 76 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
57 posts

Mar 14, 2009
assult is the easiest class to get kills with if your smart, tactic, 1. have a magnum, 2. kill somone with a shotgun or smg, 3. rape everyone on opposing team.
Message 8 of 76 (7 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Mar 14, 2009

it's definitely balanced. it's embarrasing when i start shooting grenade launcher rounds in a zig zag form, hoping to kill someone. xD

Message 9 of 76 (7 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
27 posts

Mar 14, 2009
Good post OP. I agree with you 100%. 
Message 10 of 76 (7 Views)
0 Likes