Uncharted Territory
1434 posts

Re: Will you buy Jak and Daxter: TLF if it turns out to be a flop?

Jul 7, 2009

I am a huge fan of Jak and Daxter back on the PS2 days. I'm gonna be honest here as always.

The design of the Lost Frontier by High Impact Games seems more Ratchet-like than Jak-like. Yep, you heard it here. Obviously HIG developed Ratchet Size Matters and Secret Sgent Clank. Ready At Dawn studios developed Daxter and God of War: Chains of Olympus. Daxter felt very Jak-like more than The Lost Frontier. Why wont RAD make TLF? They made shipped Daxter and the team is comprised of former Naughty Dog and Blizzard members. HIG is made of ex-Insomniacs. But there are talks that RAD is done with the PSP and are moving onto other platforms.

Now, TLF looks like Ratchet, you ask? Well, eco pirates? Hmm...sounds like space pirates from Ratchet Tools of Destruction. Also HIG seems to have a hangover from their Ratchet PSP titles. They mention if they had more time, they would implement more space combat. Seems this is going into TLF. Robots in the Lost Frontier?! < How is this not Ratchet...robots.... The enemies look more Ratchet-like too and also the visuals. Looks more like Size Matters' visuals than even Daxter's visuals...... 

Translation for those who arent from the hood of New York City

As an alternative to an adjective to describe a scene of surreal excitement, intense action, unexpected twists, or when something goes down, special terms and phrases are used after "Ooohhh!!!!!!", names of places in New York City especially BROOKLYN!!!!! and places within Brooklyn.
Message 21 of 62 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2517 posts

Jul 7, 2009

VIP_MVP_18 wrote:

I am a huge fan of Jak and Daxter back on the PS2 days. I'm gonna be honest here as always.

The design of the Lost Frontier by High Impact Games seems more Ratchet-like than Jak-like. Yep, you heard it here. Obviously HIG developed Ratchet Size Matters and Secret Sgent Clank. Ready At Dawn studios developed Daxter and God of War: Chains of Olympus. Daxter felt very Jak-like more than The Lost Frontier. Why wont RAD make TLF? They made shipped Daxter and the team is comprised of former Naughty Dog and Blizzard members. HIG is made of ex-Insomniacs. But there are talks that RAD is done with the PSP and are moving onto other platforms.

Now, TLF looks like Ratchet, you ask? Well, eco pirates? Hmm...sounds like space pirates from Ratchet Tools of Destruction. Also HIG seems to have a hangover from their Ratchet PSP titles. They mention if they had more time, they would implement more space combat. Seems this is going into TLF. Robots in the Lost Frontier?! < How is this not Ratchet...robots.... The enemies look more Ratchet-like too and also the visuals. Looks more like Size Matters' visuals than even Daxter's visuals...... 

Well, it definitely looks more linear, which how the Ratchet games were. But I wouldn't start knocking the game for that, as long as it turns out good. From what I've seen from the gameplay vids, it still looks and plays like a Jak game. It just has different twists to the usual design.

Message Edited by HeatLegs on 07-07-2009 04:34 PM
Message 22 of 62 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
531 posts

Jul 8, 2009

VIP_MVP_18 wrote:

Because this is true, and there aren't "talks." Ready at Dawn announced it themselves quite a while back. Here's the article:

The end of an era…
June 9, 2008

With Chains of Olympus going Gold in Japan (???????????), we’re now officially done with PSP development.

So today we sent all our devkits back and seeing all these boxes ready to be picked up definitely marks the end of an era here at Ready At Dawn.

Can’t wait to show you guys what we have in store….

Here is where I got the article (scroll down to it).

Message Edited by latinoman6 on 07-07-2009 06:23 PM

JAK IS BAK.......in HD
Jak HD forum

Message 23 of 62 (55 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
322 posts

Jul 8, 2009

latinoman6 wrote:

RisingSun13 wrote:
Thanks for the comments DVM. I think this is a great way to express fans opinions on what has been shown to us so far. Hopefully, HIG notices the fans calling.

Strongly disagree. If this (epic fail) is true then I am not a fan. Those comments did not express my opinions at all, and I consider myself a fan of the series. You know what? I am really tired of you and other people who have a problem with TLF saying that the only ones who are fans of the Jak and Daxter series, are people who have a problem with TLF. I have NO major problem with TLF, and I am a fan. High Impact Games is making the game. Naughty Dog isn't. Cry me a river. Some people will buy the game, and some people will not. People who believe that their own opinions matter more than the opinions of any stupid video game critic in any video game site (people like me) will at least rent (if it gets bad ratings), or buy (if it gets decent ratings) the game no matter what critics say about it, just to try it out for themselves. People who want to let their decisions be influenced by idiots who think they know what they're saying about a game just because they've played it and didn't like it or aren't fans of games with the uniqueness of TLF, even though their opinions may most likely differ greatly from most of the other gamers, will most likely turn their backs on this game. I'm not saying I'm going to love this game. I don't even know if that is true. All I'm saying is that everyone should just calm down and give TLF a chance.

I'm also very sick and tired of people putting down the game based on what they've seen so far. All of these people get a facepalm from me. Did any of those people who are saying crap about the game go to E3? Did any of them actually play the demo of TLF at the Sony booth? Yeah sure, everyone is entitled to say what they think about the game and blah blah blah (probably something someone would reply to my post considering what I've said so far), but when people keep complaining the same thing over and over and over and over about the game, it starts to get really annoying. PM each other, start a "TLF haters" forum somewhere else (where you can have lots of fun ranting about and repeating the same things you have a problem with in the game over and over), or contact High Impact Games, Naughty Dog, or Sony about your concerns, but please...leave people who "get it already, you guys have these problems with the game based on the little that has been shown so far" alone. It's annoying and it's ruining the excitement some of us FANS have for the game. If something new about the game surfaces, comment on that. Again, I don't love the game. I can't! I haven't even played it! I'm just really excited for it. I think it looks amazing, at least considering that it is for the PSP and it's the first we've heard of a Jak and Daxter game since 2006.

Now I shall brace myself for the slew of flames on me that I'm sure will come from this post. I bet one of the arguments will be based on how "forums are for discussion and that's what we're doing." Whatever, I'm not even going to argue that one right now. BRING 'EM ON!!

Message Edited by latinoman6 on 07-07-2009 04:39 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself!!!
*Me standing in front of a game store* "Oh don't mind me....I'm just waiting for Naughty Dog to make the new Jak and Daxter game for the PS3."

Message 24 of 62 (55 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1434 posts

Jul 8, 2009
Yeah dude, Ready At Dawn released a Wii remake of Okami. What are they possibly up to now....hmmm....Wii or Xbox probably because PS3 is still to advanced for RAD to tacke at at the moment seeing they have no/minimal experience with PS3 hardware.
Translation for those who arent from the hood of New York City

As an alternative to an adjective to describe a scene of surreal excitement, intense action, unexpected twists, or when something goes down, special terms and phrases are used after "Ooohhh!!!!!!", names of places in New York City especially BROOKLYN!!!!! and places within Brooklyn.
Message 25 of 62 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1469 posts

Jul 9, 2009

ManWithGoodTaste wrote:

Well, from what I've seen in the few videos, I can conclude, that:

1. Air combat is perfect.

2. In "normal" levels camera is at the right angle (better one than in SM & SAC) and it moves at just the right speed.

3. Graphics ARE good. If you don't agree, play any of the previous titles and stop and look at the screen for a few minutes. You'll notice the graphics aren't as great as you think they are. Good gameplay & animation make graphics look better generally. 

4. Gunstaff is just a cool new look for a weapon Jak already had in previous games. YES, I DO think it's cool.

5. Level design is beautiful, just what I expected from a J&D game.

6. HIG are working in conjunction with ND on this one.

7. ND created the concept for the game and they came up with most ideas, so, it is basically their game developed by someone else. 

So, concluding...

Graphics are good, controls are decent and intuitive, levels(the only one we sen so farSmiley Tongue ) are interesting, animation is great, camera is fine, the story is original and written by ND.

I don't see the point of complaining any longer. 

I concur with you MWGT. Though it is my opinion, I think TLF will be decent.

Message 26 of 62 (55 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1469 posts

Jul 9, 2009

DAXRULZ wrote:

In all honesty, the Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier is beginning to appear to be one of the best games on the PSP.  Aside from the fact that flight missions consume 40% of the game, it'll certainly turn out to be a game worthy of the Jak and Daxter name.  Sure, High Impact Games made games that really could have been a lot better, but it's been told that HIG is receiving a lot of direction from Naughty Dog.  Besides, the game is only in the pre-alpha stage of production, so it's only bound to look better graphically.  By no means do I think this game will "flop".  It might be a different story for the PS2 version, but it will do just fine on the PSP.  Sure it's not on the PS3, but I have a pretty good feeling that Naughty Dog will get to work on that after the completion of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.  

To answer the thread title's question, yes I'll buy it.Smiley Tongue 

Message Edited by DAXRULZ on 07-07-2009 03:46 PM

Well said Dax. Is DAXRULZ your PSN ID on PS3, or is it something different?

Message 27 of 62 (55 Views)
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
6772 posts

Jul 10, 2009

I think it's too early to judge the game on a full scale, IMO, especially just by the glimpses of footage and brief coverage on weapons, platforming, and other aspects.

The graphics, IMO, are "meh." I'm stating this because the other two games that HIG has designed have more solid graphics so far. However, I agree with DAXRULZ on that it's still somewhat early. Perhaps HIG is adjusting to the J&D art style and other visual points (even though some of them are similar to other games).I expect HIG to do much better.

The gameplay sounds slightly interesting, with the new eco portions, but based on the small coverage we have, it seems linear. In TPL, we had balls of eco at several parts, and plenty of eco vents, to the point where it was very startegic but also open. So far TLF's seems restricted. Yet again, we have hardly any information on this.

The gunstaff is, well, a gunstaff. As long as the weapons have generally the same components as the previous games (and maybe some innovation), I'm fine. I don't care about the cheesy name.

I don't like how the air combat takes up 40% of the game, accordingly, but oh well. If it turns out to have strong controls, variety, and balance, it might not be that bad after all.

There's practically no information on the environments besides "lava," "caverns," "sky," and "islands." There really isn't much that can be judged to that degree.

Whether or not I purchase it is based on my own analysis. I love reading the opinions of critics and all, but by no means am I swayed by what they say. I give Secret Agent Clank at least an 8/10, but most critics gave it less. Same is applied to several other games.

My only word of advice is that HIG improve upon their previous works. Secret Agent Clank, IMO, had a good variety, a little better than Size Matters, but the problem with it is that it was choppy and inconsistent. You'd play as Clank one second, and then all of a sudden you'd switch to the pointless Qwark. So keep SM's balance, and expand upon how close SAC was to the main franchise, and apply that to J&D the best they can.

I have a lot of other games in mind, most more appealing to me than TLF, but I'll probably purchase the game some time anyways.

Ratchet and Clank Community
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction-The chain reaction of evil — hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars — must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation." -M. Luther King, Jr.

Pay It Forward| E.O.L Site| ASD
Message 28 of 62 (55 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6772 posts

Jul 10, 2009

ManWithGoodTaste wrote:

DVM-501 wrote:

ManWithGoodTaste wrote:

Well, from what I've seen in the few videos, I can conclude, that:

1. Air combat is perfect.

* 40% of the game.

3. Graphics ARE good. If you don't agree, play any of the previous titles and stop and look at the screen for a few minutes. You'll notice the graphics aren't as great as you think they are. Good gameplay & animation make graphics look better generally. 

* Your opionion. There are plenty of people, like myself, who dissagree.

4. Gunstaff is just a cool new look for a weapon Jak already had in previous games. YES, I DO think it's cool.

* Again, I dissagree. I find the "gunstaff" to be a very lame excuse for simplifying the graphics of the weoponry. The guns in Jak 2 and 3 were perfect for Jak, there's no reason what so ever to change them.

5. Level design is beautiful, just what I expected from a J&D game.

* You can't possibly say that. We've seen, at the very most, a fourth of one level.

6. HIG are working in conjunction with ND on this one.

* And I still have doubts as to how much. 7. ND created the concept for the game and they came up with most ideas, so, it is basically their game developed by someone else. 

* You're assuming things here. No one ever said that the game's story/concept was designed by ND.

So, concluding...

Graphics are good, controls are decent and intuitive, levels(the only one we sen so farSmiley Tongue ) are interesting, animation is great, camera is fine, the story is original and written by ND.

* Graphics are bad. You've never played the game so don't tell me that the controls are decent/intuitive. Still not interested in the one level we've seen. The story as what has been released so far is one of the most unoriginal stories that I've seen, and I run a J&D Role-playing site so I see a lot of original/unoriginal storries. I'm serious, I've read stories of pirates and eco shortages written by 14 year olds.

I don't see the point of complaining any longer. 

* I don't see the point in you telling us not to complain. If we don't like it we're going to say so. End of story.

* My Comments

Alright, from now on, until the game is released, the only opinion about it that counts will be yours. Happy now?

You don't need to plug up your opinions just because someone disagrees. DVM is simply placing his two orbs into the discussion. 

Some people are simply wanting you to support your opinions a little more. Some of the points you listed were fine opinions, but others were based on the tiny bits of information we have, hardly making them valid.

Nobody here (as far as I know) is bashing the game. Some are disappointed, some are excited, some are not sure. That happens a lot. 

Ratchet and Clank Community
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction-The chain reaction of evil — hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars — must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation." -M. Luther King, Jr.

Pay It Forward| E.O.L Site| ASD
Message 29 of 62 (55 Views)
Wastelander
811 posts

Jul 10, 2009

Andy-McK-4ever wrote:

DARKCLAW_6 wrote:

Andy-McK-4ever wrote:

We wait 3 years for a new Jak game

I've been waiting three years for another good Jak game and would rather wait longer for a PS3 game with better quality than this. 

I'm only renting because I'm a fan of J&D and want to follow the story.

How do you know it's a bad quality game? You have no way of knowing unless you played it at E3. We should wait for a demo or a more comprehensive hands-on

I didn't say it was a bad quality game
Message 30 of 62 (55 Views)
0 Likes