Treasure Hunter
5278 posts

Re: Jak and Daxter

Nov 17, 2012

jjand302 wrote:

Andresff19 wrote:
Do they ever explain on what happened to the other sages or the other colored ecos? I mean i played the game but don't remember if they mention anything.

Woh woh bud! Looks like we got an "On Topic" post here. I think you're looking for 7 threads that way lol. No but seriously thank you, and I honestly don't remember either 

they don't explain there absence just that they went through time so it is asssumed they are all dead except for samos

#ProtectorProgramme
Message 51 of 83 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
145 posts

Nov 17, 2012

BlueDiamond93 wrote:

Andresff19 wrote:
Do they ever explain on what happened to the other sages or the other colored ecos? I mean i played the game but don't remember if they mention anything.

Im am not coming off rude by saying this but its self explaintory when you play the sequels and if you pay attention. Im going to go ahead and tel you though. T he eco vents became outdated and were build on top of by the city. Jak II is 300yrs after the first game so yeah...

Nah man you're not coming off rude, like I said I don't remember if they mentioned anything, I probably just missed that part, but still doesn't exactly explain what happened to the sages Smiley Tongue

Message 52 of 83 (132 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1735 posts

Nov 17, 2012

Since this is getting out of hand, let me run down the PS2 Ratchet series:

Ratchet & Clank = good but not great. It was steller for the series introduction, but isn't as good in comparison to later games. Fun weapons and gadgets, but lacking alot of the originality of future w&g. No strafe ability. Funny, inventive characters. Overall solid game worthy of Greatest Hits.

Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando = Phenominal! Introduction of a strafe command greatly improved on the formula. More inventive weapons and gadgets, if a little overwhelming by the sheer amount. Level design wasn't as good as the first game. introduction of James Arnold Taylor as the voice actor was a step up. Still as amusing as the first game. Still had the boring race missions. Introduction of the battle arena was a plus. Story was lacking. Overall the best of the series

Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal = very good. Mostly unchanged from Going Commando. The hub level and having to go back every 8 minutes became a pain VERY fast. Still stellar voice acting, but the comedic value suffered somewhat in this game. Finally done away with those dumb Hoverboard/Hoverbike race missions from the previous games. Introduction of MP was a nice touch. Another new set of weapons and gadgets specific to this game. Overall not as good as the 2nd or as groundbreaking as the 1st, but very good and a fine addition to the series

Message 53 of 83 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7048 posts

Nov 17, 2012

ATOMB0Y_ wrote:

jjand302 wrote:

Andresff19 wrote:

Woh woh bud! Looks like we got an "On Topic" post here. I think you're looking for 7 threads that way lol. No but seriously thank you, and I honestly don't remember either 

they went through time so it is asssumed they are all dead except for samos

Basically this but the sequel was improvised and altered. The Sages are dead by the time Jak II comes because their 300yrs further from where they were in the first game. Sages cannot live that long so in terms of history they are dead.

photo 1-Xzveb9U_zpsedcf7d52.png
Only time will tell.
Message 54 of 83 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
145 posts

Nov 17, 2012

ATOMB0Y_ wrote:

jjand302 wrote:

Andresff19 wrote:

they don't explain there absence just that they went through time so it is asssumed they are all dead except for samos

Ah ok, too bad for them lol

Message 55 of 83 (169 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
145 posts

Nov 17, 2012
Lol, you guys reply so much faster than me, I'm used to just lurking!
Message 56 of 83 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7048 posts

Nov 17, 2012

Andresff19 wrote:

ATOMB0Y_ wrote:

jjand302 wrote:

Andresff19 wrote:

Ah ok, too bad for them lol

they went through time so it is asssumed they are all dead except for samos

Basically this but the sequel was improvised and altered. The Sages are dead by the time Jak II comes because their 300yrs further from where they were in the first game. Sages cannot live that long so in terms of history they are dead.

photo 1-Xzveb9U_zpsedcf7d52.png
Only time will tell.
Message 57 of 83 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
759 posts

Nov 17, 2012
Too lazy to go back and read everything, though I will in a little bit. I just want to make a point. Currently I'm on page 6 so if this point was made, excuse. Also, I'm not arguing with any Jak fans, and I don't have absolute proof, but no one has absolute proof to the contrary so stuff it.

To ignore the influence of the GTA series on the Jak series is foolish. Before GTA 2 for the original Playstation (that went largely unnoticed) and GTA3, there had been no such thing as an open world game outside of maybe the Zelda series, and even then, that wasn't an open world game in as much the same way that GTA and the Jak series is, especially with the option to hijack vehicles, attack and interact with pedestrians and so forth. In fact, many games at the time were attempting to emulate to some degree or another the GTA franchise and with good reason. They revolutionized video game environments such that it they felt much more alive and a lot less constrained and linear as many games were at the time. You can't say that Jak didn't bite that, even if only a little, because Jak 2 dropped years after GTA3. Hell, to be more precise, Jak 2 was released in 2003, a year after the release of Vice City (released in 2002), 2 years after GTA3 (released in 2001), 4 years after GTA2 (released in 1999) which is well enough time for developers to take notice of the influence the new genre was taking on the market, as well as the widespread mass appeal that it was bringing and the financial gain that many other games were acquiring by utilizing the free roam open world environment, mission based gameplay with complex interaction with NPC's. Denying that any game at the time or since that has utilized the same gameplay format (such as series like the Sly series (to a degree), inFamous, Mafia (i believe), Mass Effect (on a galactic scale), Assassin's Creed, the Arkham series, True Crime (more liberally than others), Sleeping Dogs (more recently than most) and in fact hundreds of others) was influenced by the styles and quirks that the GTA series and Rockstar in general coined is a lie and you are blinded and jaded.

HOWEVER,

This does not mean that these games are bad or are carbon copies. Each has their own merits and quirks that make them unique. More often than not, these differences are just the story, world, and combat (Cole has lightning, Ezio has melee weapons, Tommy Vercetti had guns...and a tank), but they are still differences that change the game nonetheless.

It is worthy to note that it took years for developers trying to emulate the formula to get the balance between copying/reskinning vs emulation while remaining unique right. Hence, in the beginning, many games became much more similar to GTA3 and Vice City than developers would have liked and many were criticized for "plagiarizing" and out right copying the GTA format.

This includes the True Crime series (again, much more liberally) and Jak 2. If you deny this, then it is your opinion. I doubt you'll find many here that disagree with this post though. I'm not saying that Jak 2 was a copy. I am saying that before the GTA series, it probably leaning more towards the style of Jak one and after the widespread appeal of the GTA series, decided to go for much more edgy tones.

I have no proof to back this up.

However, you have nothing to prove otherwise.

I know this because there is no official statement on the internet that says that they did or didn't. AGAIN, THIS IS MY OPINION. YOU HAVE NO FACTS OTHERWISE. IF YOU CAN, PROVIDE THEM, IF YOU CAN'T GO AWAY.

/Post

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us--- The Colossal King
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us--- The Gravity Queen
Message 58 of 83 (161 Views)
Lombax Warrior
212 posts

Nov 17, 2012
Man, can the arguing just stop? I hate opening up the page just to see another argument involving BlueDiamond...
Message 59 of 83 (147 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6850 posts

Nov 17, 2012

Fear4TheHero47 wrote:
Too lazy to go back and read everything, though I will in a little bit. I just want to make a point. Currently I'm on page 6 so if this point was made, excuse. Also, I'm not arguing with any Jak fans, and I don't have absolute proof, but no one has absolute proof to the contrary so stuff it.

To ignore the influence of the GTA series on the Jak series is foolish. Before GTA 2 for the original Playstation (that went largely unnoticed) and GTA3, there had been no such thing as an open world game outside of maybe the Zelda series, and even then, that wasn't an open world game in as much the same way that GTA and the Jak series is, especially with the option to hijack vehicles, attack and interact with pedestrians and so forth. In fact, many games at the time were attempting to emulate to some degree or another the GTA franchise and with good reason. They revolutionized video game environments such that it they felt much more alive and a lot less constrained and linear as many games were at the time. You can't say that Jak didn't bite that, even if only a little, because Jak 2 dropped years after GTA3. Hell, to be more precise, Jak 2 was released in 2003, a year after the release of Vice City (released in 2002), 2 years after GTA3 (released in 2001), 4 years after GTA2 (released in 1999) which is well enough time for developers to take notice of the influence the new genre was taking on the market, as well as the widespread mass appeal that it was bringing and the financial gain that many other games were acquiring by utilizing the free roam open world environment, mission based gameplay with complex interaction with NPC's. Denying that any game at the time or since that has utilized the same gameplay format (such as series like the Sly series (to a degree), inFamous, Mafia (i believe), Mass Effect (on a galactic scale), Assassin's Creed, the Arkham series, True Crime (more liberally than others), Sleeping Dogs (more recently than most) and in fact hundreds of others) was influenced by the styles and quirks that the GTA series and Rockstar in general coined is a lie and you are blinded and jaded.

HOWEVER,

This does not mean that these games are bad or are carbon copies. Each has their own merits and quirks that make them unique. More often than not, these differences are just the story, world, and combat (Cole has lightning, Ezio has melee weapons, Tommy Vercetti had guns...and a tank), but they are still differences that change the game nonetheless.

It is worthy to note that it took years for developers trying to emulate the formula to get the balance between copying/reskinning vs emulation while remaining unique right. Hence, in the beginning, many games became much more similar to GTA3 and Vice City than developers would have liked and many were criticized for "plagiarizing" and out right copying the GTA format.

This includes the True Crime series (again, much more liberally) and Jak 2. If you deny this, then it is your opinion. I doubt you'll find many here that disagree with this post though. I'm not saying that Jak 2 was a copy. I am saying that before the GTA series, it probably leaning more towards the style of Jak one and after the widespread appeal of the GTA series, decided to go for much more edgy tones.

I have no proof to back this up.

However, you have nothing to prove otherwise.

I know this because there is no official statement on the internet that says that they did or didn't. AGAIN, THIS IS MY OPINION. YOU HAVE NO FACTS OTHERWISE. IF YOU CAN, PROVIDE THEM, IF YOU CAN'T GO AWAY.

/Post

very long but trueSmiley Tongue

http://xat.com/the_brotherhood_of_gaming

Message 60 of 83 (143 Views)
0 Likes