Oct 13 2012
By: tross88 PlayStation MVP 3979 posts

Finally got around to playing these games.

12 replies 488 views Edited Oct 13, 2012

I recently decided to pick up the Jak and Daxter Collection.  For whatever reason, I never ended up playing the Jak and Daxter games back when they were first released, but I have been meaning to for years.  The same goes for the Ratchet and Clank games actually, but given the number of entries in that series at this point in time, Jak and Daxter seemed like a much less intimidating series to try to get into.  Anyways, I'm finally playing the first Jak game, and it has not only lived up to my expectations, but has actually exceeded them.  Given that it's only the first game in the series, I'm definitely looking forward to moving on to the sequels.  I may purchase the psp title, Daxter, in either physical or digital form, and play that after The Precursor Legacy, but I'll have to decide soon.  According to my research, and by that, I mean wikipedia, a second hd collection would be awesome.  As it stands though, I will see about getting the best deal on Daxter.  Granted, it's not like I spent a fortune on the Jak and Daxter Collection.  It was only $20.  Anyways, I decided to share my affinity for the first entry in the series, and admit that I should have played these games years ago.  Oh well, a new opportunity arose to get my chance to play them, and I decided to take advantage of it, so here I am. 

Message 1 of 13 (488 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6998 posts

Re: Finally got around to playing these games.

Oct 13, 2012

tross88 wrote:

I recently decided to pick up the Jak and Daxter Collection.  For whatever reason, I never ended up playing the Jak and Daxter games back when they were first released, but I have been meaning to for years.  The same goes for the Ratchet and Clank games actually, but given the number of entries in that series at this point in time, Jak and Daxter seemed like a much less intimidating series to try to get into.  Anyways, I'm finally playing the first Jak game, and it has not only lived up to my expectations, but has actually exceeded them.  Given that it's only the first game in the series, I'm definitely looking forward to moving on to the sequels.  I may purchase the psp title, Daxter, in either physical or digital form, and play that after The Precursor Legacy, but I'll have to decide soon.  According to my research, and by that, I mean wikipedia, a second hd collection would be awesome.  As it stands though, I will see about getting the best deal on Daxter.  Granted, it's not like I spent a fortune on the Jak and Daxter Collection.  It was only $20.  Anyways, I decided to share my affinity for the first entry in the series, and admit that I should have played these games years ago.  Oh well, a new opportunity arose to get my chance to play them, and I decided to take advantage of it, so here I am. 

Hmm? So we got another late buyer huh? well its good you finally got around to buying this. Ive been trying for years to get ppl to buy this game series and HD collection. You see how it reached your expectations and how you actually ended up liking it. Im trying to get ppl to have that same experience that you are having. I warn you now Jak II is the hardest in the series and might make you rage quit. I still suggest you remain patient, beat Jak II and then hop onto 3 so the plot doesnt get confuse you. Btw 3 makes up for 2 in a big deal so like I said just get through 2 and youll be fine.

More people need to capture the awesomeness of Jak & Daxter. J&D are not like other games. J&D have quit the trick up their sleeves for beating other games of the same genre on PS3. Some are the whole series didnt have not 1 loading screen, the controls are crispy smooth, the powers are colorful & polished, the transportation is amazing and most of all the plot is epic, cinematic, twisting and other words in those categories. 

Theirs more I can say but it will end up being pages long :smileyhappy:

Continue to enjoy!!

photo 1-Xzveb9U_zpsedcf7d52.png
Only time will tell.
Message 2 of 13 (454 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3979 posts

Oct 14, 2012

BlueDiamond93 wrote:

tross88 wrote:

Hmm? So we got another late buyer huh? well its good you finally got around to buying this. Ive been trying for years to get ppl to buy this game series and HD collection. You see how it reached your expectations and how you actually ended up liking it. Im trying to get ppl to have that same experience that you are having. I warn you now Jak II is the hardest in the series and might make you rage quit. I still suggest you remain patient, beat Jak II and then hop onto 3 so the plot doesnt get confuse you. Btw 3 makes up for 2 in a big deal so like I said just get through 2 and youll be fine.

More people need to capture the awesomeness of Jak & Daxter. J&D are not like other games. J&D have quit the trick up their sleeves for beating other games of the same genre on PS3. Some are the whole series didnt have not 1 loading screen, the controls are crispy smooth, the powers are colorful & polished, the transportation is amazing and most of all the plot is epic, cinematic, twisting and other words in those categories. 

Continue to enjoy!!

Well, as long as it isn't Contra, I should manage just fine.:smileyhappy:  I didn't find Demon's Souls that hard.  Granted, that's a game of a different genre.  The point is, I'm a seasoned gamer with 20 years of experience, and dying doesn't phase me.  If anything, it makes me more determined.  What makes me quit more than anything else, is an unenjoyable experience.  As long as I'm enjoying the game I'm playing, I'll take out gods to make my way to the final credits.  If the first game is any indication, I should enjoy the sequels a lot too.  Thanks for the heads up though.  I'll keep in mind that Jak II is more difficult than the first game.  I intend to play the games in order.  I don't like being cannon locked, and I tend to wonder about things I missed. 

To be honest, if I had to choose a favorite gen, it wouldn't be the 7th.  I'm between the 5th and 6th gens, actually.  I am quite fond of the particular period when Jak games came out, because it was just when games had finally reached a good level of cinematic quality, and the majority of devs still put a lot of love into the games they created.  I have a hard time believing a game like The Precursor Legacy would be made, simply because devs these days seem more hung up on sales, than creativity.  I have no idea if the modern Ratchet and Clank games are any good, but like I said, that series is kind of intimidating to get into at this point.  I'll definitely play through the Jak and Daxter games though. 

Message 3 of 13 (446 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6998 posts

Oct 14, 2012

tross88 wrote:

BlueDiamond93 wrote:

tross88 wrote:

Continue to enjoy!!

Well, as long as it isn't Contra, I should manage just fine.:smileyhappy:  I didn't find Demon's Souls that hard.  Granted, that's a game of a different genre.  The point is, I'm a seasoned gamer with 20 years of experience, and dying doesn't phase me.  If anything, it makes me more determined.  What makes me quit more than anything else, is an unenjoyable experience.  As long as I'm enjoying the game I'm playing, I'll take out gods to make my way to the final credits.  If the first game is any indication, I should enjoy the sequels a lot too.  Thanks for the heads up though.  I'll keep in mind that Jak II is more difficult than the first game.  I intend to play the games in order.  I don't like being cannon locked, and I tend to wonder about things I missed. 

To be honest, if I had to choose a favorite gen, it wouldn't be the 7th.  I'm between the 5th and 6th gens, actually.  I am quite fond of the particular period when Jak games came out, because it was just when games had finally reached a good level of cinematic quality, and the majority of devs still put a lot of love into the games they created.  I have a hard time believing a game like The Precursor Legacy would be made, simply because devs these days seem more hung up on sales, than creativity.  I have no idea if the modern Ratchet and Clank games are any good, but like I said, that series is kind of intimidating to get into at this point.  I'll definitely play through the Jak and Daxter games though. 

Alright um I dont understand how you can enjoy games while your constantly dying lol but um Jak II and I are....... Its harder then you think. Its nothing like the first game when it comes down to difficultly lol, but like I said Jak 3 will make up for it. Btw, you can be the smartest guy on this universe but honestly your not going to understand everything about Jak even if you play the whole series in order. You ether will have to have multiple PTs which is FUn to me! or you'll have to ask me questions. J&D are a heavy based, cinematic plot game experience. Jak I TPL has nothing on Jak II & 3 when it comes down to story telling and cutscenes. J&D is a unique game series. Starting in Jak II you could even re watch cutscenes by re talking to your mission giver outter lol. Honestly these game series store so much history and infomation that your going to miss out on certain things. As you noticed. J&D TPL was the first open world game and into a series without loading screens which is badass. Honestly J&D is not just an amazing experience througout the series but outside the series too. How it was made, developed, designed, came to be etc...

Your most likely going to have a lot of questions after your done through the series so you can ask me anytime. Im always up here on the J&D forums because im a hardcore, true and dedicated fan so yea. Trust me, I know almost everything their is to know about J&D from their development to their departure... which will be revived by ND someday, most likely after TLOU like they somewhat said...

Only time will tell.
Message 4 of 13 (444 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3979 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 14, 2012

BlueDiamond93 wrote:

Your most likely going to have a lot of questions after your done through the series so you can ask me anytime. Im always up here on the J&D forums because im a hardcore, true and dedicated fan so yea. Trust me, I know almost everything their is to know about J&D from their development to their departure... which will be revived by ND someday, most likely after TLOU like they somewhat said...

Sure thing.  It sounds like you're really passionate about this series, so I'll be sure to bring my questions to you. 

I can tell you that I've died a lot in games over the years, as any seasoned gamer has, if he or she were to add up all the times they've ever died in a videogame.  However, I've also played games where dying too many times, means that the player has to restart the game from the very beginning, and, in more recent years, I can say that even dying, and having to redo the last half hour of gameplay is a frustrating experience.  All I meant, is that I've been around the block, as far as games that test your patience go.  If the story, and gameplay, and other aspects of Jak II are solid, and I'm assuming they are, then I should be able to power through the difficult parts.  I'm sure it has a reputation as a hard game for a reason though, so I'm going to anticipate a challenge.  I may be a little rusty too, since it has been a good while since I've played a platformer like Jak and Daxter.  I take it the abominable snow lurkers are just a warm-up to the enemies in the sequel.  Difficult platforming is a whole different beast, and one I'll anticipate too.  I should also work on my puzzle solving skills.  I can't believe a couple of the quests in Snowy Mountain stumped me.  Maybe I am rusty. 

Message 5 of 13 (439 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6998 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 14, 2012

tross88 wrote:

BlueDiamond93 wrote:

Sure thing.  It sounds like you're really passionate about this series, so I'll be sure to bring my questions to you. 

I can tell you that I've died a lot in games over the years, as any seasoned gamer has, if he or she were to add up all the times they've ever died in a videogame.  However, I've also played games where dying too many times, means that the player has to restart the game from the very beginning, and, in more recent years, I can say that even dying, and having to redo the last half hour of gameplay is a frustrating experience.  All I meant, is that I've been around the block, as far as games that test your patience go.  If the story, and gameplay, and other aspects of Jak II are solid, and I'm assuming they are, then I should be able to power through the difficult parts.  I'm sure it has a reputation as a hard game for a reason though, so I'm going to anticipate a challenge.  I may be a little rusty too, since it has been a good while since I've played a platformer like Jak and Daxter.  I take it the abominable snow lurkers are just a warm-up to the enemies in the sequel.  Difficult platforming is a whole different beast, and one I'll anticipate too.  I should also work on my puzzle solving skills.  I can't believe a couple of the quests in Snowy Mountain stumped me.  Maybe I am rusty. 

Yes I am very very passionate of the series. I know you haven't noticed, but im always up here making fully detailed post about J&D.

Alright so I see youve been through the worst of the harder games around.. but like you said if the story and gameplay is good then it will be worth it. In Jaks case it is worth it. And yea those snow lurkers are nothing compared to the harder enemies you face in the sequels. Snowy Mountain is actually a tricky level so I understand when it comes down to platforming.

Another heads up is so far their are 3 new little glitches in the HD collection. One is in Jak II is um lets just say torwards the end of the game you'll go to this construction site level and your enemy will drop down and as you talk to him his face color will be different then usual but just for that scene.. But its not like that when you re watch the cutscene in the secrets tab. Because starting in Jak II & 3 you can re watch all the cutscenes you want after you buy them in the game using precursor orbs. Another glitch in Jak II is the ending credits, there was a song that played at the end of the credits on PS2 but it doesn't on the HD collection. No need to worry though because the song that does play is actually the song that was already used throughout the game in a level. To go into detail, this song is the song you'll hear when you catch certain flying creatures in a forest. And the last glitch is... In Jak II and 3 they were known to be one of the fewest games where you can actually pause the cutscenes, yes pause the cutscene!.. however in the HD collection it has a duration to it meaning when you pause it you only have about 2mins in half to leave it paused before it skips the whole scene and just go's back to the gameplay. The skipped scene doesnt mess with gameplay, you just miss the cinematic when paused for over 2mins and a half. All HD collections have new glitches though, all of em. Luckly Jak came out as one of the few to have major problems which is great!

As you can see I tried my best not to spoil you. Since I didnt go into detail about enemies and levels your fine. Like I said im a true fan so as you can see I listed all those things above. If you played the series on PS2 or played half of it, it would have been easier to explain though, but its good. Make sure you explore the in's and outs of the sequels. Your going to love that new feature *secrets* especially. 

*Hint hint* The series starts getting important in Jak II at the *very very beginning cinematic*. Jak II gets personal. You learn more about Jak and why certain things happen and happened. Like I said heavy based plot game. OMFG I cannot stop talking! Your making me want to play again and I already had 7 playthroughs in all 3 games in the HD collection! :smileyhappy:

Only time will tell.
Message 6 of 13 (433 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3979 posts

Oct 14, 2012

Noted, noted, noted and noted.:smileyhappy:  I'm going away on a two day trip, and am leaving tomorrow morning, so I won't get to play Jak and Daxter again until Tuesday, but that's just one more thing to look forward to when I get back.  By the sound of things, you're excited to have someone new to discuss this series with.  I'll be sure to share my impressions with you as I get further into the series.  In the meantime, I guess I'll leave you to playthrough number 8 of the HD collection.:smileytongue:  

Message 7 of 13 (427 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6998 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 14, 2012

tross88 wrote:

Noted, noted, noted and noted.:smileyhappy:  I'm going away on a two day trip, and am leaving tomorrow morning, so I won't get to play Jak and Daxter again until Tuesday, but that's just one more thing to look forward to when I get back.  By the sound of things, you're excited to have someone new to discuss this series with.  I'll be sure to share my impressions with you as I get further into the series.  In the meantime, I guess I'll leave you to playthrough number 8 of the HD collection.:smileytongue:  

Alright and yea I love discussing the series. Its my favorite number 1 series and Jak is my number 1 favorite character. The type of character he becomes inspired me and still does lol :smileyhappy:

Jak will always remain as my top 1 video game and overall series(even with all these new PS3 games I already experienced).

Only time will tell.
Message 8 of 13 (424 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1582 posts

Oct 15, 2012
Glad you are enjoying it!
Message 9 of 13 (409 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Oct 17, 2012
hay its very intersting,,,,,,,,,,,
Message 10 of 13 (394 Views)
0 Likes