May 11 2012
By: DAXRULZ Last Guardian 12402 posts

Do We REALLY Want Another 'Jak and Daxter' Game?

[ Edited ]
20 replies 6449 views Edited Jul 13, 2012

I just wanted to start this discussion by saying that I was once a hugely active contributor to the Jak and Daxter forum before PSU transitioned into PSN, when the Jak and Daxter forum (as well as many others) became broken, rendering it inaccessible.  Now that the forum has been integrated with Naughty Dog's main site and my busy-as-hell school year is over, I returned to this forum only to find that the forum is still tacked with multiple discussions regarding the fantasized debut of a Jak and Daxter game on the PlayStation 3...a topic that is just as common now as it was 6 years ago.

The question I ask is all in the title.  Do we REALLY want another Jak and Daxter game?

Like all of you, I grew up on the classic Jak and Daxter trilogy.  I spent countless hours (at least 100) on Jak X: Combat Racing.  I bought a PSP-1000 just to play Daxter.  This series constitutes much of who I am and how I live my life.  Even for years after Jak 3, I could only imagine how neat it would be to see the series make its way to the PlayStation 3.  Though considering how much time has passed, don't you guys think it's too little too late to see this fantasy to its fruition?

Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier.  The title just wants to make me puke, but not for its gameplay or its fantastic original score.  As fun as the game was to play, the story was horrific.  Plot holes existed at every corner, and so much of the logic defied the lore that was previously brought up earlier in the series.  Worst of all, Dark Daxter was introduced.  Though the game was developed by High Impact Games (and they have received harsh critcism as a result), few people are aware that Naughty Dog wrote the story.  Upon learning this, I had realized that Naughty Dog became a "noob" to their own creation.  Then most recently, Naughty Dog revealed that one of their branches was working on a new Jak and Daxter title, but ceased its production upon the immediate realization that it would not be well received by fans of the series (descriptions include a reboot featuring a "human" Jak and a mute, beady-eyed Daxter).  Taking both of these games into consideration, it's clear that Naughty Dog has long-since lost its touch on Jak and Daxter.  I can't help but wonder why we're still yearning for a new game in the franchise when it would most surely be another Lost Frontier-esque crapshoot (or worse).

Right now, Naughty Dog is primarily focused on its current Uncharted franchise along with a collaborative project on The Last of Us.  Now, I often see my fellow Jak and Daxter fans bash at the Uncharted series out of jealousy; this is unnecessary as well as childish, because there is no denying that Uncharted is a fantastic franchise, which I have grown to love every bit as much as the Jak and Daxter franchise.  Admittedly, I've held some disappointment in the past myself, as even though I took a great liking to Uncharted: Drake's Fortune after its release, I was let down in my hopes that Naughty Dog would pull a back-and-forth routine between Jak and Daxter and Uncharted (as Insomniac Games had done with Ratchet and Clank and Resistance) when Uncharted 2: Among Thieves was announced.  Regardless, I still bought and enjoyed Uncharted 2, and I even pre-ordered the Collector's Edition of Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception.  Depending on how future details of The Last of Us will look, I may hold interest in purchasing it as well.

Considering how much time has passed since Naughty Dog devoted full development on a Jak and Daxter game, added with the horrendous story they wrote for The Lost Frontier, do we want a new game in the series that badly that we may likely receive another game that just isn't worthy of the Jak and Daxter name?  True, the story of Jak 3 ends with many questions left unanswered.  Then again, so did LOST.  I'm only saying that Jak and Daxter strikes me as one of those franchises that should be left alone, even if the conclusion is open-ended (the bright side of this is that it's left up to fans of the series to write fanfiction to create their own ending, a hobby I have personally taken into for the last few years).  The prime reason for this is because Naughty Dog is no longer fit to produce an excellent game in the series anymore.  And the more time that goes by, the more "classic" the original games become, making it harder for a new game to live up to the series.  Right now, Uncharted is Naughty Dog's shining glory just as Jak and Daxter was on the PlayStation 2 and Crash Bandicoot was on the original PlayStation.  Jak and Daxter's prime was long ago, and for the series' sake, it should be left the way it is now: 5 marvelous games and 1 cruddy one.  At least this way, my love for the Jak and Daxter series can be left intact as long as no more new titles can contribute to the number of "cruddy" games in the franchise.  I feel that Naughty Dog holds good reason to stick to one franchise per system (remember, The Last of Us is not a series but a stand-alone title).  I have seen games, movies, and TV shows grow stale because they stretch on longer than they were meant to.  Jak and Daxter had a large fan base, and still has one now, because it hasn't had the chance to become stale yet.  Though I've grown much older since I first played Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy when it first released (I was 11), my love for the series has remained adamant and is likely to remain so, provided that the series is left untouched.                      

Message 2 of 21 (6,449 Views)
Last Guardian
11733 posts

Re: Do We REALLY Want Another 'Jak and Daxter' Game?

May 8, 2012

The Jak and Daxter franchise began on the PlayStation 2 and pretty much ended there for me, after feeling unimpressed by the PSP spin-offs. To this day the first game remains the most remarkable. It was new, inspiring, engaging and all around wondrous. As the series went on, it stayed a lot of fun but also grew more in line with twists that were uncharacteristic of where the story felt like it was going to begin with.

Never thought we'd see Jak actually speak. Never thought we'd see him temperamental. It was with the Grand Theft Auto influence and a Teen rating that the series took on a darker approach. It kind of makes you wonder what could have been if Naughty Dog originally had planned something else.

Though it's been years since Naughty Dog tampered with their creation, I wouldn't want to see a completely different entity handling the product. That's an element that goes wrong with some games. We see this happening in the Silent Hill series as an example. Konami's team has been traded with American studios on a number of accounts only to leave out the dignity the franchise once beared.

While we probably don't need to open the storybook on Jak and Daxter again, it would be up to Sony or whoever to make that decision. If a future game were to be handled properly instead of carelessly as we've seen, a tremendous revitalization would certainly get fans wanting to play a game like that.

Message 1 of 21 (6,449 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

May 23, 2012

even though the series has been great when they were in the mood to make it but even if it went downhill since The Lost Frontier Naughty Dog still have what it takes and i know that if they accually put effort in it like their past four games it could be a great game especually on a newer console and even if it was a spin off for the ORIGINAL jak series it could link to The Lost Frontier and then Naughty Dog could make the second game to The Lost Frontier series FOR PS3 then every one could be happy

Message 3 of 21 (6,449 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jun 15, 2012

For me you're just saying a bunch of nonsense.

I believe that a new Jak and Daxter made ​​ENTIRELY by Naughty Dog, can be like its predecessors, it would be fantastic and at the level of past games of the franchise.

Moreover, with the experience gained from Uncharted, could get out of a game even better than the previous ones, the important thing is that the team does not focus on things like "extreme realism" (also relative to the characters) and do not purport to all costs of having to change the characters as they were made​​, in short, I want a continuum of this history, perhaps with new weapons, worlds, or lands to explore, new powers, etc. .. but without upsetting (or remove completely) the groundwork laid by the previous 4 games of the franchise.

Message 4 of 21 (6,449 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jul 1, 2012
You, my man should be a Gaming Article Writer (If you are not one already). But anyway, every single fricken E3 I wish for a new Jak game... And I believe they could make a wondrous Jak game if they put their mind to it. Naughty Dog have split up into two teams now, one who is making The Last of Us and the other one... Who knows, it could either be an Uncharted game for PS3 or a release title for PS4, a Jak game for PS3 or s release title for PS4, or even possibly a new IP for the PS3 or as a release title for PS4 (which wouldn't surprise me as the PS4 is likely to be revealed next year). Major Gaming Companys have now been given the creation kit for the PS4 so Naughty Dog could possibly be using it for their new game.
Message 5 of 21 (6,437 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1235 posts

Jul 6, 2012

I don't know about "we," but I would love a new Jak game. As long as Naughty Dog developed it, i'm sure they could recapture the same charm the series had on the PS2. It would be very interesting to see the characters in a true current gen game.

Message 6 of 21 (6,393 Views)
Gaming Beast
1934 posts

Jul 6, 2012

I love Jak&Daxter more than any other franchise created for the PlayStation but I guess you're right about Naughty Dog losing  it's touch for this franchise. Uncharted is also a great game honestly, but the gameplay is pretty basic and the puzzles and platforming are so much easier it doesn't take skill to jump from platform A to B or the climbing. It's a shame that games got so casual these days.The multiplayer experience with Uncharted is fantastic though... The PS1 and PS2 days were all about platforming  and funny cartoony characters which I loved about these generations. I bet even if Naughty Dog would love to make a new Jak&Daxter game Sony would most likely not allow them to make one since this new generation only cares about shooting games like CoD, Battlefield etc.. It's all about what sales best I guess. And I'm actually okay with the open-ending. I just hope developers will make a return one day to make platforming games again just like Jak&Daxter because games like this do give a fantastic experience.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 7 of 21 (6,389 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7051 posts

Aug 4, 2012

Wow out of all this time ND wrote the LF story, i didnt know that Smiley Sad

Anyways, Im a huge J&D fan as well. I disagree with your perspective on the J&D matter though. You kind of contradictd yourself also. You was talking about the original 3 games staying with you as classics and your fav and you not wanting any future games to destroy your love for the story. The LF you didnt like but your love for JAk never died, so giving J&D one more shot wouldn't be a bad thing. I mean they did write it during the times UC2 was coming out years later. May'be they wasnt ready and focused back then. J&D deserves its spotlight. Do ppl really think its fair how we still see Sly and Ratchet games still being made. I thought the Jak HD collection was a sign of a new Jak game coming out, i thought it was hope. Then the LAst of US was announced and my heart was broken and my hope was greatly decreased. If you love Jak as much as you say wheres your support, they can still make a successful game. Remember companies can make games so that the plot was before its previous, meaning they can make a jak 4 with the timeline or events being before Jak Lost Frontier. Like of of the guys said here, as long as they dont focused on realism, muted daxter and most certainly no human ear jak the game could be great as the others. I cant give up on Jak, its  a part of me. Ive been so dedicated and had so much faith for so long that I still believe in another successful game with enough supporters. The problem is we dont have enough supporters. So many ppl want a UC4, we dont need anymore uncharted's. After 3 introducing his past history, the ideas and expansion were limited. Uncharted needs to just die or just be on a long term break until ps4. Jak 4 is needed and wanted! I would give anything for a Jak 4. Seriously I see so many open paths, and possibilities for jak on ps3, how does ND not.  Jak 3-

Ottsel Leader-  "Together we will win this war".

Ottsel Surfer-  "But dude there are like way more challenges in the future".

Ottsel Dummy-  "Duh.... or was it the past?"

Ottsel Leader-  "Yes! Yes! I was getting to that."

Jak-  "More adventures, where have I heard that before."

Ottsel Leader-  "We need heroes like you to help us protect the universe, Jak".

Jak-  "Then you can call me by my first name, by what my father called me, Mar."

Ashelin-  "Wait, Jak is Mar? the Mar?"

Ottsel Leader-  "Come then Mar, no time like the present".

skipping a couple of unnecassary lines............

"Our Hero!"

Jak-  "Aw I couldn't leave you dax. With all our adventures ahead, you wouldn't last a second without me".

Pecker-  "What a team we are.

Daxter-  "Yeah? Well the next adventure I call the shots"

I believe in those words^

photo 1-Xzveb9U_zpsedcf7d52.png
Only time will tell.
Message 8 of 21 (6,259 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
367 posts

Aug 5, 2012

Down the line i want another one. 

Right now? No. 

As much as i want a new jak, i want to see what they can do with The Last of Us and Uncharted.. 

On the PS4, they definitely need to revisit Jak. Take him and Daxter to some incredible world, not the city, Sig, the metal heads again. They go all across the world in uncharted for different reasons. They need do that with Jak and use some of these incredible writers.. 

Message 9 of 21 (6,254 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7051 posts

Aug 5, 2012

Right now yes, or after the last of us yes. We have 4 uncharted games, and you seriously want another rather then jak? Its been years since the last good jak game came out. We dont need anymore uncharted's, ppl like you keep supporting uncharted and a J&D would never come.

photo 1-Xzveb9U_zpsedcf7d52.png
Only time will tell.
Message 10 of 21 (6,250 Views)
0 Likes