First Son
12 posts

Re: Ps4 pro supersampling performance issues

[ Edited ]
Feb 13, 2017

Please do that. I bought a pro so I can play a games with higher performance and better framerate, which was also promised by sony. I've been disappointed with how this game runs on the new console, and starting to regret trading in my old ps4 and getting a pro. I realize Arrowhead does not have the personnel of a AAA studio but it's been 3 months since the last update and it was brought up on other forums and gaming news sites. Not all were for this game specifically but other gaming studios offered solutions like adding an option to set the resolution back to standard 1080p which fixed this issue. 

I'm not a game developer but adding a standard 1080p resolution setting in the options doesn't seem like a very difficult thing to implement. I don't think this is something that should be put on the backburner. It's a serious performance issue on the ps4 pro and should be patched. 

Message 11 of 27 (441 Views)
0 Likes
Arrowhead Game Studios
466 posts

Feb 14, 2017

I spoke with some people today and this is something we will take a look into, but if we were to put it in a patch it most likely won't be for a long while.

Message 12 of 27 (430 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3368 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 14, 2017

ForeverAPeon wrote:

I spoke with some people today and this is something we will take a look into, but if we were to put it in a patch it most likely won't be for a long while.

@ForeverAPeon  How long is long while? Like a month or a few months or a year? I don't want to upgrade to PS4 Pro until I know Helldivers which is my favorite game on the PS4 continues to run optimally.

Edit: In related news, Rocket League will be officially getting PS4 Pro support February 21st. I hope whenever such support comes to Helldivers, there is a PS Blog article about it too.

Helldivers for Democracy Community on Steam & PlayStation 4

YouTube Channel: cusman
Message 13 of 27 (425 Views)
I Only Post Everything
865 posts

Feb 15, 2017

@cusman

Helldivers 4K quick summary by Digital Foundry at 10:36 minutes on the youtube video

Message 14 of 27 (408 Views)
0 Likes
Arrowhead Game Studios
466 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 15, 2017

@cusman Please don't quote me on this as times can vary greatly due to patch times and resources here, but my best guess would be 2/3+ months. We patch bugs that pop up, but we normally have to wait until we get quite a few gathered and fixed, as it is not possible to patch for every single small thing every week. My guess would be that we would most likely put out another patch within 9 months. Again don't hold me to this!

Message 15 of 27 (395 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3368 posts

Feb 15, 2017

Thanks for that reference link  @wilier

So I don't really understand what the issue is with Helldivers on PS4 Pro because it is still 60fps and using checker-boarding technique to make to produce 4k resolution screen. Is the issue mainly with using Helldivers on PS4 Pro when not using a 4k UHDTV?

I am still on a launch PS4 so this doesn't affect me yet, but I do plan to get a 4K UHDTV with HDR (hopefully an OLED) and at that time I will be looking to upgrade the PS4 to the Scorpio equivalent.

Message 16 of 27 (391 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Feb 15, 2017

It's 60 fps but only with limited enemies on screen. Once the battle gets really hectic, you have to make split second decisions with the game running choppy. losing a couple of frames is the difference between life and death in this game.  It's frustrating. It's even more frustrating that I spent all this money on the pro for a poorer experience on one of my favourite games and the current solution to this can be summed up by "it MIGHT be fixed some time far in the future." 

Message 17 of 27 (388 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3368 posts

Feb 15, 2017

@JoeJoeMcTwist  Ouch. Well, glad that you are pressing for a solution then.

Since it is a Sony Published game and game seems to be in low-cost maintenance / support mode, I think Arrowhead can't commit but based on their history I do have reasonable expectation that they will eventually fix it. It is nice that they have at least acknowledged even if they aren't able to give it immediate / urgent attention. I mean at least they are being upfront that they are putting issue on their to-do list, but don't expect a patch in near term.

Message 18 of 27 (385 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Feb 16, 2017

@cusman

Yeah, I'm trying to find a solution to this. I called the sony playstation technical support line the other night but they just gave me the standard run around. I told them what the problem is and they said they will take my compaint into consideration. I asked the lady what they had written down as my complaint, and she just gave me some standard answer like, "we will take your complaints and those of others for future patches." No details or time frames. So I'll take that as a complete waste of time. 

Message 19 of 27 (373 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3368 posts

Feb 16, 2017

@JoeJoeMcTwist  Look if your problem is already on the PS Share Blog where people get to put in problems / suggestions / ideas, and others get to vote up / down those things. If you find the issue there, add your + vote, and if not submit the topic. Then try to drive more people there to + vote for issue to get looked at.

It is one of the mechanisms by which PlayStation initiatives get prioritized. You can also try getting into the beta next time they are looking for more participants for PS4 firmware updates (current window to sign up might already be closed). Once in, you have access to private beta forums (within the PS Community forums) where you can report problems like you have found with Helldivers and report it as a defect (or as on-going defect).

Message 20 of 27 (368 Views)
0 Likes