Feb 02 2017
By: JoeJoeMcTwist First Son 12 posts

Ps4 pro supersampling performance issues

26 replies 971 views Edited Feb 2, 2017
Please add an option for players with ps4 pro who play on a 1080p display to turn off supersampling. The game runsure well 95% of the time but when there's a lot going on the frame rate dips belown 20 fps. Two examples of this are when placing hellfire napalm, or against bugs when the tenticle creature uses its testicles, the game becomes extremEly choppy and the game looks muddy. I recently bought a ps4 pro and it's running worse that my original ps4 did! Please add an option to disable supersampling.

No other game that I own underperforms like this. I've resorted to changing my ps4 settings to 720 just so the game can run smoothly. Please patch this.
Message 1 of 27 (971 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
127 posts

Re: Ps4 pro supersampling performance issues

[ Edited ]
Feb 2, 2017

JoeJoeMcTwist wrote:
Please add an option for players with ps4 pro who play on a 1080p display to turn off supersampling. The game runsure well 95% of the time but when there's a lot going on the frame rate dips belown 20 fps. Two examples of this are when placing hellfire napalm, or against bugs when the tenticle creature uses its testicles, the game becomes extremEly choppy and the game looks muddy. I recently bought a ps4 pro and it's running worse that my original ps4 did! Please add an option to disable supersampling.

No other game that I own underperforms like this. I've resorted to changing my ps4 settings to 720 just so the game can run smoothly. Please patch this.

I've not played the game in a wee while so I must have missed some freaky DLC.

Anyway, how does the game look on the Pro? Aside from those issues.

Message 2 of 27 (962 Views)
First Son
12 posts

Feb 2, 2017
I play on 1080 display. Its got a muddy/blendy look to the graphics. I wouldn't mind it if the performance would keep up. But the loss in frames is not worth the improvement
Message 3 of 27 (957 Views)
Fender Bender
3368 posts

Feb 3, 2017

@JoeJoeMcTwist  Sounds like what happens on PC when playing Helldivers on a laptop (sensitive to gettting framerate drops when Hellfire is used).

It is a little strange to read that the stronger PS4 Pro is underperforming while on PC it is the weaker gaming machines that suffer performance issues. Thanks for coming here to report the issue. I will eventually be getting a 4k PS4 (whatever they do after the current Pro), so it would be good if my favorite game for PS4 is sorted out before I do Robot Embarassed

Helldivers for Democracy Community on Steam & PlayStation 4

YouTube Channel: cusman
Message 4 of 27 (931 Views)
First Son
12 posts

Feb 4, 2017

Glad to see people are reading the forums. I hope the message gets to Arrowhead developers. I looked up this supersampling issue. It has happened in other games aswell like Shadow of Mordor and The Last of Us: Remastered. Both of those games were fixed by adding an options for 1080p displays. You can choose between better graphics (Supersampling) or better performance (standard 1080p display). Arrowhead developers, can you please patch this?

Message 5 of 27 (920 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3368 posts

Feb 4, 2017

@JoeJoeMcTwist  The Arrowhead people are pretty good about monitoring the threads and especially the Support Thread because they are subscribed to that and get notification emails while a new post like the one you made would only cross their eyes when they do their routine look and see on other posts / discussions.

Helldivers for Democracy Community on Steam & PlayStation 4

YouTube Channel: cusman
Message 6 of 27 (914 Views)
0 Likes
Arrowhead Game Studios
466 posts

Feb 6, 2017

Yup, we've seen it and noted the request Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 27 (849 Views)
First Son
12 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 7, 2017

Awesome, thank you guys and gals at Arrowhead for the feedback. Hope it gets patched soon. 

Edit: Whoops, I meant to say TENTICLES!!!

Message 8 of 27 (827 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Feb 13, 2017

Hey ForeverAPeon, It's been 3 months since the game was patched, and the framerate issue on PS4 Pros is still ongoing. Other games that had similar issues were patched with an option to select standard 1080p (no resolution upscaling) for better performance. 

Is this problem being worked on? If yes, do you have a timeframe of when it will be fixed? 

Message 9 of 27 (718 Views)
0 Likes
Arrowhead Game Studios
466 posts

Feb 13, 2017

I don't have any updates for you regarding this and no timeframe Smiley Sad It depends on our studio's resources and when/where they can be allocated. I can poke the devs again to see if I can get a confirmed answer on whether it will be worked on.

Message 10 of 27 (706 Views)
0 Likes