Nov 16 2016
By: Wingfrog Arrowhead Game Studios 93 posts

Patch 5.0 Connection Issues

[ Edited ]
30 replies 2367 views Edited Feb 1, 2017

Update 2: It appears that the PSN maintenance (sometime between 27/01 - 29/01) has resolved a lot of the connection issues you were all experiencing. Please let us know how you are finding your connections since the maintenance. Leave your comments in this thread Smiley Happy

Update 1: We are bugging people everyday for updates and there are definitely technicians looking into it.

I know how frustrating these ongoing PSN connection issues are when all you crave is to spread Managed Democracy to your favourite reaches of the galaxy, alongside your comrades in arms. I mean – I just wanna drop in and shoot some alien scum with you as well!

Unforunately we cannot yet give an expected time for a solution as we don’t know exactly what is causing the connection problems.

What we do know is that it seems very unlikely it is within the game itself. None of the changes we implemented for the PS4 Pro optimization (patch 5.0) are capable of causing the issues – you can read more about them below. We are also only seeing these problems in the live version of the game, not when using the same version in a testing environment.

Just because we can’t do anything about it ourselves, that doesn’t mean we’re dropping the ball on the matter. We are right now working actively with Sony to find the cause of the issue. They are performing detailed connection tests and we hope that they can help us figure out where the problem is – and a solution for it.

We will keep you posted as soon as we have more news, just wanted to let you know we are around, we listen, and we care about the state of the game.

Below is the previous information on the topic (from Support thread):

We have looked into the reported PlayStation connection issues which players have been experiencing. It is definitely unfortunate that these problems coincided with the 5.0 patch, but after looking into the issue – as well as having external QA testing – it’s clear that the issue is not within the game itself.

Helldivers relies heavily on many of PSN's matchmaking and multiplayer services. Helldivers also uses P2P (there are no dedicated servers), meaning players connect directly to each other over PSN. Our own servers don’t handle anything regarding player to player connections.

We have seen suggestions on the forums that it was the “PS Pro optimization” which has affected connections. This is not correct. The PS4 Pro changes added Checkerboard rendering and higher resolution support for the game. While we also did some updates to adapt to the newest Playstation™ SDK, none of those are capable of causing the issues we are seeing.  

We are continuing investigations with Sony into these issues and doing all we can to improve the situation. We are passing on any additional information we can find to them.

Malin - Arrowhead

http://arrowheadgamestudios.com/
Message 1 of 31 (2,367 Views)
Lombax Warrior
94 posts

Re: Recent connection issues (since 5.0) - official thread

Nov 16, 2016

Thanks for the update! My game list updates after 10-20 seconds of waiting, so it's not that bad, but I have way less connections losses during missions now than before. Because of that, I probably get even more playing time than before.

Message 2 of 31 (2,345 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3368 posts

Nov 16, 2016

I think this has happened before as well

An update took place, and then the time lag between what shows up in the public list became greater and then people end up trying to join games that are already finished and get fails. After a length of time it returned to normal.

This time around it is a bit worse, and taking longer to return to normal

• The list itself takes a while to show up
  • The missions shown on the public list are definitely lagging by more than a few minutes so avoiding frustration is about trying to join those missions that have multiple slots option and not near end
  • The friend list is broken on PS4 and PS-Vita
  • The game lets me commend / report friends, because it doesn't know they are friends (I have 150+ friends)
  • I have verified the PS4 / PS-Vita friend list is also broken on my wives account (she has < 20 PSN friends)

Once already matched in a group, things remain stable as before. Certain players seem to drop in/out, while others stay stable. Hosting myself remains stable. I think that is as before.

Helldivers for Democracy Community on Steam & PlayStation 4

YouTube Channel: cusman
Message 3 of 31 (2,310 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
865 posts

Nov 16, 2016
@Wingfrog
You are all doing a great job! Appreciate your efforts!
Message 4 of 31 (2,214 Views)
Splicer
30 posts

Nov 17, 2016

Not to belittle other's problems, but I have to say, there seems to be an overreaction from some people to these problems. Yes they are inconvenient, but in no way has the game become unplayable. I don't know if it's because I have a fast internet connection, but I haven't disconnected once whilst on an actual mission. My only issue is lag on the joining screen and problems joining friends. But again, I've never had a problem actually joining, just that it takes a while and there are workarounds. I think it's clear to say that most of us appreciate your work in trying to fix this and while it's unfortunate that both patches have failed to address the main issues, I wanted to make it clear that the game is in no way unplayable and that these problems are more of an inconvenience than anything game breaking... You should probably prioritise fixing the friend's list features. While it doesn't affect me personally, I could see how it would be annoying not to see friends who are on different consoles. I wish all of you at Arrowhead the best of luck getting to the bottom of this.

Message 5 of 31 (2,048 Views)
I Only Post Everything
865 posts

Nov 18, 2016
@Wingfrog Do let us know if you need any of us to help on testing or taking videos to help diagnose the issues. Within this community we have many players from different regions with different PlayStation devices.
If you have a structured test plan we can help to provide you with data from the wild 😜
Message 6 of 31 (1,999 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Dec 4, 2016
So glad to know I'm not the only one! I'd even reinstall the game!
Message 7 of 31 (1,663 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Dec 17, 2016
1 Month has passed so far. any update on the solution of this issue? don't want the issue to stay pass year, since i'll play with friends a lot at that time.
Message 8 of 31 (1,479 Views)
Splicer
58 posts

Dec 18, 2016
Its also nearing Christmas and I've managed to persuade 2more friends to take up the cause, unfortunately the connection is appalling for the last month and I don't want them to get a game that doesn't really work. Any news?
Message 9 of 31 (1,428 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 26, 2016

Hello,

any updates yet? I cannot join any games at all :-(

Message 10 of 31 (1,306 Views)
0 Likes