Feb 18 2017
By: michaeljedi First Son 17 posts

Helldivers NEEDS AN OFFLINE MODE!

13 replies 755 views Edited Feb 18, 2017
Why doesn't this game have an offline mode?... If you play it online with your PS4, PS+ will run out and you could be literally stuck with just fighting 1 or 2 factions and not get to face the other faction again. Or if you are on the go with Vita and are taking a trip and you can't connect to Wi-Fi because of places not wanting to give free public Wi-Fi. This almost feels like an online only game to be honest. I don't see why an offline Galactic Campaign doesn't get added. It's there if you need it, and you can play regular multiplayer. I would think this would be next to nothing to add to the game. This would be simple and very liked. I guess others have asked for this too. Why hasn't it happened yet? The game is eventually going to get less and less people playing the online Galactic Campaign. I've seen those defend events and home world assaults. It takes a good solid thousand people to focus primarily on liberating them. What happens when the game gets down to just 500 people that's on and everyone wants to play different planets? The home worlds will never get conquered. Every game eventually dies, and I can see myself playing Helldivers even when everyone else is long gone (if the Vita version gets improved).
Message 1 of 14 (755 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3368 posts

Re: Helldivers NEEDS AN OFFLINE MODE!

Feb 20, 2017

You can still play Helldivers offline. The issue some can have is if you were last online while some enemy faction was eliminated, then even during offline play, they stay eliminated. You then have to wait for the online Galactic War to progress to point where War resets and factions return.

Alternatively you can delete your local save file to get all 3 factions back. Just don't go online with the game after that and you never need worry about state of Galactic War.

Helldivers for Democracy Community on Steam & PlayStation 4

YouTube Channel: cusman
Message 2 of 14 (716 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
142 posts

Feb 21, 2017

This game will never die.SuperHeart will not allow it!

Message 3 of 14 (674 Views)
First Son
17 posts

Feb 23, 2017
@cusman No offense, but that's a terrible way to have to play. Those unlocks take FOREVER to get. I want to jump online and offline as I please without needing to delete anything. Like I said, I think this wouldn't take much on the game makers part to do, and this will extend the life of the game for future reference. For now, we don't have to worry about the online dying. But I'm not going to wait any longer to ask for this when we can ask now because it will eventually be too late. So please, agree with me on this and lets fight for this to happen.
Message 4 of 14 (643 Views)
0 Likes
Arrowhead Game Studios
466 posts

Feb 23, 2017

We most likely won't be adding an offline mode any time soon, sorry Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 14 (635 Views)
Fender Bender
3368 posts

Feb 23, 2017

michaeljedi wrote:
@cusman No offense, but that's a terrible way to have to play. I want to jump online and offline as I please without needing to delete anything.

@michaeljedi  You can play online or offline as you please without any need to delete anything. If you connect online and the Galactic War has factions elimited, that will carry into the offline play until you sync back up with the online happenings.

Considering many games nowadays designed / expected to be played with others will not work at all unless you connect online (like Destiny), even if you are not playing any multiplayer mode, I think the way Helldivers still works when offline is something to be happy about.

I have never felt the need to delete my save file. I don't have problem if some faction is available or not for limited time. I like the way the Galactic Campaign endless loop works. It is part of what makes Helldivers what it is.

michaeljedi wrote:
@cusman Those unlocks take FOREVER to get.

The unlocks don't take any longer to unlock in solo than online. If you are desparate to play factions that are eliminated in the online war and can't wait a few days for them to be back, you have choice to delete your save file to reset the campaign and stay offline until war is at point where your favorite faction is back. When you go back online, it will sync you back up to your last standing. Nobody is asking you to delete anything. You are simply being informed of your options.

Message 6 of 14 (629 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3368 posts

Feb 23, 2017

michaeljedi wrote:
 I've seen those defend events and home world assaults. It takes a good solid thousand people to focus primarily on liberating them. What happens when the game gets down to just 500 people that's on and everyone wants to play different planets? The home worlds will never get conquered. Every game eventually dies, and I can see myself playing Helldivers even when everyone else is long gone (if the Vita version gets improved).

@michaeljedi  At peak the PS+ free war reached 1,000,000 regiment size. Nowadays the participation is around 20-40k. During the review press war (War 1), it was in the 100's.

The Galactic War scales to number of people actively playing dynamically. It will continue to function as designed even when the playing population gets even as low as how it started during War 1. If at some point the Galactic War servers are taken out, and it no longer is supported for PSN / Steam matchmaking to play with others, people will still be able to play it completely offline with local multiplayer (or solo).

This is not a game that will be dying (think like Pac Man) as long as you have the hardware (PC, PS3, PS-Vita, or PS4). It is not an online-only game like Destiny which will be permanently dead the moment Bungie pulls plug on the servers.

Message 7 of 14 (627 Views)
First Son
17 posts

Feb 25, 2017
@ForeverAPeon I understand. I am very patient and since the last patch improved connection, I can wait even more. Offline would be a very nice addition to the game. I hope it happens eventually.
@cusman Thanks for the rellies. I appreciate it. I'm trying to say though that if you play going against a faction online and it gets eliminated, and you have to go offline for several days, you can't fight that faction anymore. The only way is to connect back to internet. So in a way, the game kinda does need internet. Plus, you can't do city defend events, or homeworld attacks. I understand you are trying to be positive and let me know of the bright side, but I'm already aware of most of that stuff you mentioned. Though I didn't know about how the online campaign adjusts like it does. That's cool and thank you for sharing that. I'd just like to see an offline campaign happen because it would be nice knowing you can fight all 3 factions whenever you want reguardless of how the online campaign is going. And reguardless if you have internet or not.
Message 8 of 14 (592 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3368 posts

Feb 26, 2017

michaeljedi wrote:
I'd just like to see an offline campaign happen because it would be nice knowing you can fight all 3 factions whenever you want reguardless of how the online campaign is going. And reguardless if you have internet or not.

@michaeljedi  I think more accurately, you are just requesting option to play any faction regardless of what is happening in the Galactic War. This has been requested many times over by many different players in varrious approximations of each other over the nearly 2 years the game has been released.

I don't think Arrowhead will be doing something to basically remove that sense of community and all the other positives that come from the central shared Galactic War Campaign desing which is unique to Helldivers.

Even giving it more thought, what you are asking is certainly not a need. Anybody that can get online, can get online again, and anybody that can never get online, never has to.

Message 9 of 14 (577 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Mar 6, 2017
@cusman Certainly not a need?... You aren't a game developer of this game, so it's not your place to say something like that.
You spend a lot of time out of your day to reply to this topic, but only with negativity. You don't see any of the positives to this, and I'm starting to think you don't want to for whatever reason. It's easy to say all of that when you are sitting there with a good solid internet connection. I'm guessing you do have fast internet, otherwise you wouldn't be being so negative about my request for an offline mode, am I right? Anyway, I'm done replying to you. If you want to continue spending time posting your negative stuff, why don't you make a topic is to why you think the game doesn't need an offline mode, since you bashing my request is so important to you.
Message 10 of 14 (471 Views)
0 Likes