Highlighted
Jan 14 2008
By: esksfan First Son 14 posts

Guitar wont connect to ps3 for guitar hero 3

26 replies 126639 views Edited Jan 14, 2008
Hey there, I cannot get the guitar to respond the the ps3.  I have tried what I think is everything, but hoping someone who had this problem repaired could help me out!!!!!  I have hooked the guitar up the same way it tells you to in the booklet.  I have tried unplugging the phones, moving the ps3 (which is no easy task in my house).  My ps3 stands on its side.  I have tried taping the dongle thing flat.  I there anything that I am missing?  Bought this game for my son for christmas and he really wants to play this game with the guitar.  Almost a month and red octane won't get back to me.

Thanks for you help.
Leah
Message 1 of 27 (126,639 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1823 posts

Re: Guitar wont connect to ps3 for guitar hero 3

Jan 14, 2008
Are there fresh batteries in the guitar? Is so, try taking it all the way apart, then put it back together again.
SMB/CUPS ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A PlayTV for U.S.
Message 2 of 27 (126,639 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
298 posts

Jan 14, 2008
Is this the first time you've tried to connect it up?

I had a hard time with it initially, and the instructions downright stink. 

To get it connected, I plugged in the dongle and turned the PS3 "on" with the power button on the face of the unit (not using the controller). Then, I pressed the button on the dongle until I saw the slow flashing light go to quick flashing. I then pressed the "PS" button on the guitar twice (like a mouse double-click). When you see one light on the guitar stay lit (right above the strummer), and it's the first light that's on, you should be OK.

That is, assuming there isn't a problem with the guitar itself, or the aforementioned battery issue.

Good luck.

Message Edited by gman68 on 01-14-2008 09:40 AM
Message 3 of 27 (126,639 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jan 14, 2008
thank you for your response, unfornately I tried quite a few times in different positions, and laid my ps3 flat but nope still not working, I have replaced the batteries a few times actually.  I guess that I will just have to hope that red octane will get back to me.  Or wait until I  can buy a new guitar......crazy they don't sell them separately yet.

Leah
Message 4 of 27 (126,639 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

Jan 14, 2008
You also have to make sure that the Guitar is assigned to controller slot 1. Mine was initially assigned to slot 2, so with your playstation controller hit the PS button and assign your controller to slot 2 then with the Guitar do the same hit the PS button and assign the Guitar to slot 1. That's what i did hope it helps.
LK2064 - brought to you by Triple Tags
Message 5 of 27 (126,639 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jan 15, 2008
the ps button does nothing but make the lights flash and flash faster
Message 6 of 27 (126,639 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
765 posts

Jan 15, 2008
i had loads of troulble when i initially tried to connect it up, thought it was faulty. I had some controllers connected via usb. I disconnected them. turned off the console and it suddenly worked
http://ex-ray-specs.blogspot.com/
Message 7 of 27 (126,639 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jan 15, 2008
thanks for all the ideas, I have tried and failed with them all.  So I just hope redoctane is not ignoring me, if so I have learned a big lesson.  And will replace the guitar when you can buy them separate.
Message 8 of 27 (126,639 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6762 posts

Jan 15, 2008
I posted this in another thread where someone couldn't connect their controller:

I had some trouble first connecting the guitar too. First, turn off the system, and plug in the USB connector. Then press the PS button to turn on the controller, and turn on the system using the button on the system, not a controller. Press the button on the connecter, and it will flash. Finally, press the PS button on the guitar. If this doesn't work, you may have a defective guitar.

Follow me on Twitter
Message 9 of 27 (126,639 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jan 15, 2008
I posted this in another thread where someone couldn't connect their controller:

I had some trouble first connecting the guitar too. First, turn off the system, and plug in the USB connector. Then press the PS button to turn on the controller, and turn on the system using the button on the system, not a controller. Press the button on the connecter, and it will flash. Finally, press the PS button on the guitar. If this doesn't work, you may have a defective guitar.

I actually saw that before and tried it, I don't quite understand the part where you say press the PS button to turn on the controller (guitar right?) then also the part about pressing the button on the connector......it is already flashing as soon as the system powers up, so lets see....

1. plug in usb connector with system off
2. press ps button on guitar
3. turn on system using button on system
4. press dongle button
5. press ps button on quitar again?

Message 10 of 27 (126,639 Views)
0 Likes