Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 09 2009
By: WalkinDude91 Treasure Hunter 9131 posts

GH: Van Halen, Band Hero, Dj Hero, GH5 rumored for this year

13 replies 18 views Edited Mar 9, 2009

"What we heard: During a February 11 earnings call, Activision Publishing president and CEO Mike Griffith talked about the year's Guitar Hero titles. Those included Guitar Hero: Metallica (due out March 29), Guitar Hero: Greatest Hits for consoles, and a new Guitar Hero DS game, identified this week as Guitar Hero: Modern Hits.

Griffith also hinted that something bigger was in store for the billion-dollar rhythm franchise. "As we look at that back half of the year we expect to release the majority of our games," he declared. "Starting with the Guitar Hero franchise, we'll launch a major restage of the business, with all-new differentiated Guitar Hero products, plus the launch of DJ Hero, a line extension that enhances the franchise."

Today, Eurogamer cited "a source close to the publisher" as confirming that Activision is adding three more installments to its rhythm series this year. According to the British site, "Guitar Hero 5" will arrive in September, followed a month later by the already officially confirmed DJ Hero.

However, two previously unannounced games were also named: "Hard Rock Van Halen" in August and "Band Hero" in November. The former is not totally unexpected, as Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick name-checked the rock supergroup at a conference last March. (The "Hard Rock" subtitle is odd though--could a Hard Rock Cafe-branded game be in the works?) The latter, however, remains shrouded in mystery. Will it offer new types of non-rock music (funk, perhaps?) with new peripherals? Then again, for anyone who was part of a music class in high school, the title "Band Hero" evokes nightmarish flashbacks of brass instruments like those mocked by The Onion's Sousaphone Hero parody.

The official story: E-mails asking for comment about any unconfirmed upcoming music games got the silent treatment from Activision.

Bogus or not bogus?: Band Hero? Possibly. Hard Rock Van Halen? Likely. Guitar Hero 5? Inevitably"

http://www.gamespot.com/news/blogs/rumor-control/909119209/26803315/activision-rocking-out-van-halen...

Before everyone starts hating on Activision, let me just say this: GUITAR HERO FREAKIN' VAN HALEN W00T!!!!!

all of the other stuff is either expected or stupid though.

Message Edited by WalkinDude91 on 03-09-2009 05:42 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 14 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1816 posts

Re: GH: Van Halen, Band Hero, Dj Hero, GH5 confirmed for this year

Mar 9, 2009

The only reason I held back on posting this here is because it's written on a site of unknown reputation for me. 

Before getting all horny about a GH:Van Halen, note the real title in this article.  Also look at the number of titles of the article.  A name change and titles being pushed out monthly it seems both worry me in terms of the quality of the games.

Sigs are overrated and clutter up a forum. You just read my contribution to the clutter.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 14 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7184 posts

Mar 9, 2009

lordmalroth wrote:

The only reason I held back on posting this here is because it's written on a site of unknown reputation for me. 

Before getting all horny about a GH:Van Halen, note the real title in this article.  Also look at the number of titles of the article.  A name change and titles being pushed out monthly it seems both worry me in terms of the quality of the games.

gamespot has a good reputation for me, its where i always go lol

and i wouldn't call this confirmed, otherwise i would of posted it also. they did not confirm anything yet.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 14 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9131 posts

Mar 9, 2009

snakeman07 wrote:

lordmalroth wrote:

gamespot has a good reputation for me, its where i always go lol

and i wouldn't call this confirmed, otherwise i would of posted it also. they did not confirm anything yet.

i read through it again. yea, you're right. they didn't confirm it. i need to read through this stuff closer.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 14 (18 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1087 posts

Mar 11, 2009

lordmalroth wrote:

I agree with you.  Game developers are closing down because of the economy and they want to push out a bunch of GH games in a matter of months?  Quality is going to go down the toliet, not to mention their sales.  Who the crap can buy all those games and possible new peripherals?  Not me, my GH:WT stuff works just fine; and that was hard enough convincing the wife to let me buy that bundle for $200 when it first released, lol.  I don't see why they aren't banking on DLC more, it's working for RB like crazy.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 14 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1816 posts

Mar 11, 2009

SabinKenobi wrote:
  I don't see why they aren't banking on DLC more, it's working for RB like crazy.

I'd much rather them put work in making 1 epic disc title, and then just crank out the DLC for it for a couple years before making another title.  However, from my online GH3 experience, I'd say maybe 5% of the people I play against have some sort of non-free DLC, and it's usually only 1 or 2 packs at that.  People just don't buy DLC for GH it seems... granted there's nothing worth getting excited over with GH:WT so far, but GH3 has some really great DLC, that Virtuoso pack is better than the entire setlist

Sigs are overrated and clutter up a forum. You just read my contribution to the clutter.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 14 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9131 posts

Mar 11, 2009

lordmalroth wrote:

SabinKenobi wrote:
  I don't see why they aren't banking on DLC more, it's working for RB like crazy.

I'd much rather them put work in making 1 epic disc title, and then just crank out the DLC for it for a couple years before making another title.  However, from my online GH3 experience, I'd say maybe 5% of the people I play against have some sort of non-free DLC, and it's usually only 1 or 2 packs at that.  People just don't buy DLC for GH it seems... granted there's nothing worth getting excited over with GH:WT so far, but GH3 has some really great DLC, that Virtuoso pack is better than the entire setlist

AGREED! why those songs weren't on the setlist to begin with boggles my mind. they need more virtuoso guitarists in the GH games instead of crap like The Killers and Rise Against.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 14 (18 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1087 posts

Mar 11, 2009

WalkinDude91 wrote:

lordmalroth wrote:

SabinKenobi wrote:

AGREED! why those songs weren't on the setlist to begin with boggles my mind. they need more virtuoso guitarists in the GH games instead of crap like The Killers and Rise Against.

Hmm... fair point you two.  I don't play online a ton (getting into it more), but yeah, if someone doesn't have the same DLC you can't play it.  It's funny that RB's thing is the DLC and that's how they keep going; while GH is basically just keep releasing disc games to keep everyone on the same playing field.  I guess it makes sense; plus after about 10 track packs @ 3 songs a pack for $5.49 ... you'd already spent almost the same amount for a disc game with more songs (30 DLC as opposed to even only 48 on GH:GH).  Holy crap!  I was just figuring that out as I typed it and it's like a revelation.  Kinda makes DLC a waste of time... unless it's awesome; but still, I guess you just picked my brain and brought me to the conclusion that more disc games = FTW.  Although exporting features would be nice too, though highly unlikely.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 14 (18 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1816 posts

Mar 11, 2009

SabinKenobi wrote:
  I guess it makes sense; plus after about 10 track packs @ 3 songs a pack for $5.49 ... you'd already spent almost the same amount for a disc game with more songs (30 DLC as opposed to even only 48 on GH:GH).  Holy crap!  I was just figuring that out as I typed it and it's like a revelation.  Kinda makes DLC a waste of time... unless it's awesome; but still, I guess you just picked my brain and brought me to the conclusion that more disc games = FTW.  Although exporting features would be nice too, though highly unlikely.

Yes, when you think about it, 60 bucks for 48-87 tracks vs. 55 bucks for 30 tracks of DLC makes the price per track of the disc option much more appealing.  However, when you look at the list of songs on the disc, how many of them do you like?  For me with WT, it's 20-25 songs, so I view it as 60 bucks for those 20-25 songs, and a bunch of other stuff is thown in that maybe I'll play once or twice. 

The beauty of DLC is that you can just buy exactly what you want.  If you only like 3 out of 10 DLC packs, buy those 3.  16.50 (or 18.75 if GH3) gets you 9 tracks that you specifically want.  You pay for the luxury/convienence... think of it as spending $1.25 for a cold 20oz. bottle of coke that you can drink right now, or $1.25 for a 2-liter of coke that's warm and you're going to have to chill it down somehow before drinking it.   

The more annoying thing to me however is no compatibility between games.  I can understand GH3 tracks not being playable as-is in GH:WT, but there's no rational justification for the inability to import GH:A and GH:M tracks into GH:WT.  GH:A doesn't have full band... so what?  drums and vocals just aren't an option when you select those songs, big deal.  GH:M has expert+ drums... again so what?  the expert+ option shouldn't appear for tracks that it's not available on.  It's just a simple patch for these 2 fixes, then coding up some import ability to make the GH:A and GH:M tracks appear as DLC or another menu option in the song selection... and given a staff of programmers, shouldn't take too long.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 14 (18 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1087 posts

Mar 11, 2009

lordmalroth wrote:

SabinKenobi wrote:
  I guess it makes sense; plus after about 10 track packs @ 3 songs a pack for $5.49 ... you'd already spent almost the same amount for a disc game with more songs (30 DLC as opposed to even only 48 on GH:GH).  Holy crap!  I was just figuring that out as I typed it and it's like a revelation.  Kinda makes DLC a waste of time... unless it's awesome; but still, I guess you just picked my brain and brought me to the conclusion that more disc games = FTW.  Although exporting features would be nice too, though highly unlikely.

Yes, when you think about it, 60 bucks for 48-87 tracks vs. 55 bucks for 30 tracks of DLC makes the price per track of the disc option much more appealing.  However, when you look at the list of songs on the disc, how many of them do you like?  For me with WT, it's 20-25 songs, so I view it as 60 bucks for those 20-25 songs, and a bunch of other stuff is thown in that maybe I'll play once or twice. 

The beauty of DLC is that you can just buy exactly what you want.  If you only like 3 out of 10 DLC packs, buy those 3.  16.50 (or 18.75 if GH3) gets you 9 tracks that you specifically want.  You pay for the luxury/convienence... think of it as spending $1.25 for a cold 20oz. bottle of coke that you can drink right now, or $1.25 for a 2-liter of coke that's warm and you're going to have to chill it down somehow before drinking it.   

The more annoying thing to me however is no compatibility between games.  I can understand GH3 tracks not being playable as-is in GH:WT, but there's no rational justification for the inability to import GH:A and GH:M tracks into GH:WT.  GH:A doesn't have full band... so what?  drums and vocals just aren't an option when you select those songs, big deal.  GH:M has expert+ drums... again so what?  the expert+ option shouldn't appear for tracks that it's not available on.  It's just a simple patch for these 2 fixes, then coding up some import ability to make the GH:A and GH:M tracks appear as DLC or another menu option in the song selection... and given a staff of programmers, shouldn't take too long.

Yeah, DLC is you get exactly what you want, but I dunno, I'll go back and look through the GH:WT songlist and figure out how many I actually like (I think it's more than 30 for me so I guess I win in that case).  In terms of exporting songs, yes it would be simple to do with a patch; BUT, and RB did this right, they will lose money in it.  People will go and rent GH:M or GH:WT, export the songs to the other game, and then get rid of it.  RB charged all customers $5 to do this which was genius but still upset their truely loyal fans.  Don't get me wrong though, I would love to just export songs and I think all DLC should work in them (not sure if this is the case); but just looking at it from their point of view, there's way too much money to be lost in doing something like that.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 14 (18 Views)
0 Likes