Jun 19 2003
By: happiermime~ Lombax Warrior 152 posts

Serious complaints about vice

21 replies 16 views Edited Jun 19, 2003

Hey guys before u start to bash, my friend and i have have played vice city for over 500 hours combined and probably 300 in GTA3 and we talked about and we both feel that major improvements can be made to deliver a much longer lasting and more satisfing gaming experience

we both feel that vice should have had a more complicated layout, the fact that i can drive from the north most point on the first island to the southern most point in 1 min and 30 seconds while being hit by oncoming traffic deeply saddens me. the street layout in 3 made the game play bigger than it was while the opposite can be said for the vice. while the improvements in gameplay are apparent in vice, they do not strive to out perform 3. well there are many more points for our complaints but we are going to write rockstar our thoughts on matters.

basically i just would like to know how other gamers feel about what vice is and what it could be.

"Sometimes people call you an idiot and tell you to shutup, so you stand back to see that they are the only idiots in the room."
Come chat on the boards http://joshingway.proboards21.com/index.cgi
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 22 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17939 posts

Re: Serious complaints about vice

Jun 19, 2003

,happiermime wrote:

Hey guys before u start to bash, my friend and i have have played vice city for over 500 hours combined and probably 300 in GTA3 and we talked about and we both feel that major improvements can be made to deliver a much longer lasting and more satisfing gaming experience

we both feel that vice should have had a more complicated layout, the fact that i can drive from the north most point on the first island to the southern most point in 1 min and 30 seconds while being hit by oncoming traffic deeply saddens me. the street layout in 3 made the game play bigger than it was while the opposite can be said for the vice. while the improvements in gameplay are apparent in vice, they do not strive to out perform 3. well there are many more points for our complaints but we are going to write rockstar our thoughts on matters.

basically i just would like to know how other gamers feel about what vice is and what it could be.

1 minute 30 seconds equals 1 hour and 30 minutes in the game remember. That's not bad. The island isn't THAT big, so I would guess that sounds about right for the game.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 22 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
152 posts

Jun 19, 2003

i take your point, what i was trying to say was that that drive could take up to, i dunno four minutes, if the layout of the island was different. they severely limited themselves with a beach that serves no purpose other that to hide from the cops who don't understand/are afraid of sand

"Sometimes people call you an idiot and tell you to shutup, so you stand back to see that they are the only idiots in the room."
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 22 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17939 posts

Jun 19, 2003

,happiermime wrote:

i take your point, what i was trying to say was that that drive could take up to, i dunno four minutes, if the layout of the island was different. they severely limited themselves with a beach that serves no purpose other that to hide from the cops who don't understand/are afraid of sand

Huh? The police are on the beach. Heck, I've seen the FBI on the beach when I had a wanted level. Plus, cops are walking around the beach all the time... They arn't afraid of sand
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 22 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
152 posts

Jun 19, 2003

okay, get a tank get a six star wanted level then cruise the beach with the turret facing the opposite direction blasting away, some police will get on the beach but most get stuck trying to get on the beach and those who do you crush,

thats how i got the stuff of legends criminal ranking 2743

they are too afraid of sand they hate it in thier socks 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 22 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10634 posts

Jun 19, 2003

happiermime wrote:

the fact that i can drive from the north most point on the first island to the southern most point in 1 min and 30 seconds while being hit by oncoming traffic deeply saddens me.

while the improvements in gameplay are apparent in vice, they do not strive to out perform 3.

personally I think gta vice city was a vast improvement over gta3, as the audio is more realistic (except for the vehicle horns, which are way too quiet) and I completely agree with the layout of the city ... unfortunately there isn't that much they can realistically do about that, I mean just for the city alone, there's probably just oh, maybe 380 Mb at max for textures and 3d models, but the thing ... and then you've got the audio and configuration files, and not to mention there's all the programming involved, but the thing that takes up the most space is the radio stations. if people want a huge city, they aren't going to have that much of a radio selection ... and I know quite a few people here would be upset about that ... unless you have a dvd for loading parts of the city, like each time you reach one area, maybe each area that gets unlocked after a certain point, then once you'd normally see the "Welcome to Vice City" screen you'd see a "insert world dvd" and then a "insert audio cd" screen ... and then more people would get frustrated at the loading times ... but maybe the ps3 will have two dvd drives in it so we could have that kinda system without huge loading times or something ...

anyway, that's hardly the point anymore ... the point you mentioned is that all of vice city and liberty city could fit in a few blocks of a city in real life... which is slightly disturbing if you think about it lol... but there's actually a term for that, which is selective compression, a model railroading term used for when landmarks and everything are still there, however the scale of the terrain and everything around it is no where near the way it is in real life, yet it is still somewhat functional... it's kind of like test drive 2 ... it had a route you drive on from south to north california in around 30 minutes or something... the route was exactly the same, the roads were all functional, but a mile was probably just a few feet lol
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 22 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
152 posts

Jun 19, 2003

i totally agree that vice improved i just think i could have been better, i looked at the maps of vice and liberty and i saw that the way liberty played big (i feel that liberty plays bigger than it really is) was that the designers used angles much more than in liberty, they made more room to play on where in vice they wasted half an island and made most of the roads very straight cutting down travel time and strategy involved to escape the mess u get yourself into.

all in all i think they could have fit more streets into vice, they had the space but left it open, the texture for more street isn't to big on space and more buildings in some areas was probably fesible.

other than that i totaly agree with what you were saying

ohh and hey my friend and i are emailing Rockstar with suggestions and we included your idea about fairer cops, it was to good to ignore

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 22 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10634 posts

Jun 19, 2003

happiermime wrote:

i totally agree that vice improved i just think i could have been better, i looked at the maps of vice and liberty and i saw that the way liberty played big (i feel that liberty plays bigger than it really is) was that the designers used angles much more than in liberty, they made more room to play on where in vice they wasted half an island and made most of the roads very straight cutting down travel time and strategy involved to escape the mess u get yourself into.

all in all i think they could have fit more streets into vice, they had the space but left it open, the texture for more street isn't to big on space and more buildings in some areas was probably fesible.

other than that i totaly agree with what you were saying

ohh and hey my friend and i are emailing Rockstar with suggestions and we included your idea about fairer cops, it was to good to ignore

lol ... yea, that's for sure, especially when you get to Shoreside Vale ... jeez, for a while I was too freaked to go through Cedar Grove since that's where the Cartel is, so everytime I wanted to get to the hideout or the other buildings I'd always be going through the tunnel lol ... that made shoreside vale seem really huge even though it's about 2/3's the size of portland excluding the airport ... heh
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 22 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
152 posts

Jun 19, 2003
that's exactly what i'm talking about, exactly, you had to think a little more in 3, you could walk from the bear's den into the lions den in an instant, something nearly non existant in vice, if you count yardies, but they were just fodder for my fender . . . ahh good times. .(a retrospective look back). . . . but any way that's my point man. They dropped the ball in land and street management.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 22 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5644 posts

Jun 19, 2003
500 hours combined and you want it to be longer?!?

Socom Name: Technologic*
Server: Canada West
Clan Site
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 22 (16 Views)
0 Likes