Sep 23 2013
By: MysteryPerson Treasure Hunter 5294 posts

Need tips for losing 4+ stars. Helicopters constantly spawn in my face and spot me.

10 replies 127 views Edited Sep 23, 2013

The cops in this game are unbelievably frustrating. They're not as bad as GTA IV with the giant 80 mile radius I had to escape each time but still frustrating. 3 stars I can handle but the helicopter doesn't leave me alone if I'm not in a fast car so I have to stop and shoot it down then shoot down the cop cars that caught up and end up with 4 stars. Then I almost always end up getting wasted.

If I lose the cops and build a campfire somewhere while I hide for half an hour until they finally give up, they either magically know I'm in the area (how do they know I didn't just keep driving away?) and get out of their cars and look for me (this i'm ok with since it makes the game feel more realistic), or they never spot me but MAGICALLY know where I am.

Ex 1: I had 4 stars and went into an empty underground parking lot. Nobody even tried to come inside then about 10 seconds later my radar just lit up for no reason. I was all the way in the back taking cover behind a support beam. No windows around me. No holes above me for choppers to spot me. Nothing. I guess the smoke from my campfire gave me away.

Ex 2: Again 4 stars so I went into a little underground tunnel I found. AGAIN about 10 seconds later the AI got tired of walking around in circles above me pretending not to know where I was and my radar flased out of nowhere. I moved forward in the tunnel a few meters and lost them again then actually lost them for good. No windows obviously. No holes above me. Nothing. Again.

If I try to drive away helicopters constantly spawn in my face over and over and over again. Whether I shoot them down or outrun them doesn't matter. More always pop up with their little blue cones inches away from me. Oh and if it's not the helicopters then cop cars magically know im behind them (once theyre looking for me with blue cones) and decide to make a sudden U turn and head towards me.... even though my last known location was 5 blocks in another direction.

Message 1 of 11 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2910 posts

Re: Need tips for losing 4+ stars. Helicopters constantly spawn in my face and spot me.

Sep 23, 2013

either be in a fast vehicle and when the radar isnt flashing red and blue and the police have lost sight temorarly...thats your cue to ditch the car and hide! Yes hiding works if you can stay out of sight.

photo 557c3c40-b625-4286-ad5f-95b19a50b165.jpg
Message 2 of 11 (105 Views)
Lombax Warrior
129 posts

Re: Need tips for losing 4+ stars. Helicopters constantly spawn in my face and spot me.

Sep 23, 2013
Totally agree. I like the fact that the cops are smarter, but they seem to be a little psychic.
I hit a bunch of people with my car, the cops starting moving in, so I ditched my car and stole a new one and they still chased me. How do they know it's me in the new car?
They also seem to see through hills...
Message 3 of 11 (99 Views)
PlayStation MVP
51195 posts

Sep 23, 2013

Zeelot wrote:

either be in a fast vehicle and when the radar isnt flashing red and blue and the police have lost sight temorarly...thats your cue to ditch the car and hide! Yes hiding works if you can stay out of sight.

I'll have to try this out for sure then.  I stayed hidden for a while but one guy, somehow, saw me way up on the roof lol.

Message 4 of 11 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
43 posts

Sep 23, 2013

I've managed to hide in bushes before, not at 4 stars but I've gotten rid of 3 by hiding in bushes.

If you're arro is grey I think it means you are hidden. I tested this by walking in and out of a bush @ 2 stars and wwhen I was in the bush my arrow was grey, when I walked out the arrow went white again, but the entire time I was doing this the wanted indicator was flashing. So I know the cops didn't see me, and I wasn't in their LOS so I came to the conclusion that if you're totally hidden your arrow is grey.

HOWEVER, This hasn't actually worked 100% so I really don't know.

Message 5 of 11 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5743 posts

Sep 23, 2013

Subways are a great place to get away

Message 6 of 11 (81 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10634 posts

Sep 24, 2013

does switching cars while out of sight help you hide? or is your simple presence still enough to retain wanted status?

Message 7 of 11 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5294 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 24, 2013

Entering (if they last saw you on foot) a vehicle or switching vehicles makes your arrow turn gray/grey. This only means that if they see you they won't recognize you right away, but if you linger around too long they will spot you again. This is nice but still glitches (or maybe it's just poor design on Rockstar's part) every now and again if I'm driving behind a cop and their cone is facing in front of them.... they somehow spot me. Nice. Sometimes I can smoothly drive in and out of their cones and other times they spot me within 3 seconds of entering their line of sight. Maybe it has to do with how the windows on the cars are tinted.

Message 8 of 11 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
129 posts

Sep 24, 2013
I never thought about window tinting... You think Rockstar put that level of detail in? I suppose it's possible.
I'll have to test that when I can get some free time to get back to the game. Stupid work messing with my Gta time...
Message 9 of 11 (59 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
51195 posts

Sep 24, 2013

I lost 4 stars and almost drowned in the process.  I ended up in a river with waterfalls every like 100 yards, no roads nearby, at some point I finally lost the heli and stayed under water, popped up and hid under some trees for a few min.

I have to admit that PLYMCO_Firefly actually told me about the river while he watched me keep trying to get away Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 11 (43 Views)
0 Likes