Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 16 2013
By: WCArmy69 First Son 19 posts

GTA V Disc or through PSN

18 replies 2562 views Edited Sep 16, 2013

I'm unsure of it so I'm asking does it matter weather you get GTA 5 on disc vs PSN download or doesn't matter? I know the game is the same but will load times be slower through download than it will be on disc, Will there be lag in the downloaded version cause its running off the HDD? Should I download it or get it on disc?

Message 1 of 19 (2,562 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5768 posts

Re: GTA V Disc or through PSN

Sep 16, 2013
It's more likely to run better from the HDD than blu-ray..but the download is big and could take awhile..of course the disk probably will need a patch that the download might not...
"Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one"

-Benjamin Franklin-
Message 2 of 19 (2,556 Views)
Sackboy
604 posts

Sep 16, 2013

PSN your system will never freeze.

ADD stargatefan2 for home space tours i own 145 spaces
Message 3 of 19 (2,549 Views)
First Son
19 posts

Sep 16, 2013

I'm good on DL speed that isn't the issue, so I'm better of downloading it through the psn store than

Message 4 of 19 (2,547 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5768 posts

Sep 16, 2013

Yes the HDD probably reads a lot faster than the PS3 2x Blu-Ray drive..anyways the game will work for both and really there shouldn't be any difference in a good working system. If I had a working Blu-Ray I might have got it on disk but since I don't I'm going digital.

I'm happy with the way GTA IV ($7.49) and Red Dead ($9.99) run off my HDD as I bought both at the 75% discount..I had never played the addons for GTA IV (still have the disk) or the full Red Dead game and for that price I got all GTA addons and most for Red.

I probably would buy more digital games if I was going to continue gaming with Sony..but I've had enough of this company only here because I have no other place to play GTA V but PS3..I had to remove "2 years of dust" off my PS3 and restore it lol...

"Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one"

-Benjamin Franklin-
Message 5 of 19 (2,523 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Sep 17, 2013

I came here to ask this exact question. I'm not too concerned about the download speeds if I went off of PSN as I have no issue waiting a bit IF...IF the game happens to run better off of the HDD than the 8gb install from and with the disc. I prefer to own a physical copy of games but if there is going to be a difference in load times and pop-in, etc I just want the best experience possible.

The only thing that has kept me from going off of PSN is the concern that any future DLC would require the disc and, if there is no difference, I prefer to own the physical copy of a game as you can sell it later or let a friend borrow it and so on.

So, does anyone have any concrete evidence that the PSN version running completely off of the HDD would perform any better than the disc based version? 

Thanks.

Message 6 of 19 (2,396 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Sep 17, 2013

As for me guys I am never pre-ordering anything from the PSN store again. Im in Orlando I will have to wait until 3:01 am in order to download GTA V. Why do I need to wait three more hours to download a game I pre-ordered on PSN. This is crazy. 

Message 7 of 19 (2,374 Views)
Fender Bender
2507 posts

Sep 17, 2013

RDSCSTR wrote:

As for me guys I am never pre-ordering anything from the PSN store again. Im in Orlando I will have to wait until 3:01 am in order to download GTA V. Why do I need to wait three more hours to download a game I pre-ordered on PSN. This is crazy. 

it's been confirmed it will be available for download at 12 AM EST.

Message 8 of 19 (2,357 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Sep 17, 2013

Thanks for the info. 

Message 9 of 19 (2,348 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Sep 17, 2013

By chance do you have an idea how long the download will take?? I gauging about 6 hours. 

Message 10 of 19 (2,343 Views)
0 Likes