Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 27 2012
By: MastrGT MVP Support 41933 posts

"Help!" If you have a problem... Look here first!

[ Edited ]
181 replies 12916 views Edited 3 weeks ago

>>  Please, don't post bugs or problems here!  <<

>>  Post bugs and other problems in this thread.  <<

SONY's Help page

Whatever your problem is with GT, there are some things that you should attempt to do to help yourself resolve it before posting in the forum about your particular issue. Use this post as a checklist and evaluate each tip or idea, to see if any tip will help you. Read the whole document before posting about your issue.  (Current members can use a link to this topic when new members come looking for help.)

If you are trying to get GT5 Prologue on-line, the servers were taken off-line as of Sept 30, 2011.

Steps to take before a problem strikes:

Before you have a problem, be pro-active! As you work through a new version of GT, make a series of back-up copies of your game's progression file, before you get into trouble. If nothing else, you should be able to fall back to a good save-point and recover from there, but only if you have one that works. Do yourself (and everyone else) a favour and make a back-up now, and keep it safe on PlayStation Plus, on a USB stick or any other type of external storage that is not your PS3! Update your back-ups regularly and keep them in order and safe.

To repeat: before each GT update, make a fresh, incremental back-up copy of your progress file and don't over-write the last good one you saved.

Don't blindly update. You don't have to be the first to update GT, do you? If you can, elect to wait and read the forums, to see if any obvious problems surface before you start updating.

Read the in-game manual before posting about something that is documented.

If you buy GT at alternative stores, say on-line, or you buy a used copy, make sure you buy the proper version for your region. If you don't, DLC and other parts may not work as expected. The game should play OK on your console, but DLC and some on-line features are still regional.

Get a Blu-ray drive cleaning disc (the kind with an air-hole in it) and use it to clean the PS3's Blu-ray laser. If you never take your disc out of the console, it can still get covered in dust, burnt by the laser, or scratched if you jerk the console while it is turned on, so make sure you check it every now and then.

A big problem-magnet is using wireless, so, if you have any sort of install issues, connect the console with a good Cat5e (or better) cable. Lots of sluggish responses, install and connection problems are related to using wireless, so stop using it and bring GT back to life.

Also, do yourself a huge favour and use a properly sized UPS to protect your electronic equipment, protect against power blips during WRITEs to the hard drive (thereby not corrupting important files), and to help keep you connected during on-line races. Surge protectors alone can only protect against some power surges, and if they are still in good shape. Most importantly for this topic, the PS3's UFS2 file system cannot withstand loss of power during WRITEs to the hard drive. Every year, players needlessly take risks that UPSes can help prevent from occurring and we frequently see them come here looking for help after it is too late.

Steps to take after a problem strikes:

Generally, you have to figure out why or how you are having problems.

Issues are normally related to these six broad areas:

• a corrupted GT game update
  • a corrupted GT game progress file
  • trouble dealing with the PSN or PSN Store, including update files getting corrupted during downloading
  • trouble with the PS3 or from its services, such as interference from the media server
  • trouble with the Internet, your ISP or your home network
  • trouble with a controller, wheel / pedals; or interference from any other connected device

1: Make a back-up of your current game save (your game progression file) and don't over-write any other copy with it, otherwise you might wipe out a previously good file with a bad one.

2: If you don't know what you are doing or if this is a brand new problem to you, do a web search or a search of this GT forum, to try to locate solutions others have already found. Finding a solution with a search may be quicker than starting a new thread and waiting, and saves making more work for others. Take normal precautions about using bad advice from people you don't trust, though. If you seem wary about some odd advice, try to confirm the solution before acting on it.

Do the "normal", easy things, such as clearing GT5's own cache, and making sure the game disc is clean and unscratched. While it is difficult to scratch a Blu-ray disc, a dirty disc is quick to fix. Check the game disc by eye under a bright light, for scratches, laser-burn rings, fingerprints and dust.

Go to GT5/Options/Utilities and check the Salvage Files radio button, then select OK.

Is your Blu-ray disc flawed / faulty / scratched? Blu-ray discs can also be burnt by the powerful laser light - you will see one or more discoloured rings. Take the disc out of the drive and check it under good, reflective light conditions. Try using another disc to play or re-install GT5. You may need to rent GT5, borrow one from a friend or exchange your disc at your retail store.

Is there a bad sector on your hard drive affecting things? Finding the answer to that question takes a lot of recovery work.

3: GT5 seems to have a lot of one-off problems (only you got hit by it) that tend to get fixed by re-installing the game updates. However, for many players, this has not been a "sure thing" on the first re-install. You may have to re-install indefinitely (2, 3, 4, 5 ... times) until the updates do install properly.

If you have a second account, find out if that account is affected in the same way as your problem account. Doing so will help to focus in on where the problem lies. Before doing anything drastic, such as restoring the whole operating system (which rarely has helped resolve any issue with GT), try to pinpoint what exactly is affected.

If you are having difficulty receiving gifts, then have another gift sent to your account. You can do this yourself if you have more than one account or you can ask a friend to send you one. The new gift seems to unblock the gifting system.

With stubborn problems, try to determine whether the issue is sourced in either your install or your game save file. Quit GT5 and copy your latest progress file and keep it safe, delete the progress file off of the hard drive. If GT5 works fine after rebooting, then you know the problem is in your personal game save file - it is likely corrupted and you will probably need to restart, hopefully by using an earlier back-up. If the problem persists, then chances are the hard drive install is corrupted and you will need to try re-installing updates until it works again.

There are two places where you can delete game files:

- GT5/Options/Utilities/Delete Installed Files (or Salvage Files)

- through the XMB

Try either or both to delete game files and updates.

4: Apparently, getting some PS3 firmware and GT updates is a problem because of poor Internet service and other network problems. For whatever reason, the PS3 does not always automatically manage these file errors properly leaving you with corrupted update files. Make sure you have the best possible network environment to do updates. If you have been having updating problems, such as getting #8002AE22 errors, take all unnecessary load off of your network and make the network as reliable as possible while updating. If this isn't enough to successfully update, test connecting your console to another ISP's service, such as at a friend's home, to get past a common corrupted update file problem.

Tips For Improving Your Network:

• don't connect to the Internet wirelessly while updating either the PS3 or GT
  • if possible, don't use wireless at all, especially if GT reacts slowly or has connection problems
  • if you turn off the PS3's media server, does your issue go away?
  • get rid of your ISP's lousy DNS servers and use an independent service, such as openDNS (change your router's default settings)
  • eliminate use of the router while updating; connect your PS3 directly to the modem
  • stop all other network activity, except the PS3's
  • after a new release, download updates during a quiet time for the servers
  • reset either your modem or router, or both (power down each device for at least 30 seconds; this also renews the router's handshake with your ISP)
  • clear the router's cache
  • update your router's firmware, if it isn't the most current revision
  • set your PS3 up in a DMZ on the router (how to set up a static IP address)
  • update while using a different ISP, such as at work or at a friend's home (this has been very helpful with stubborn problems)
  • update while using a PC proxy instead of only going through the PS3
  • check this networking FAQ for more info and problem solving ideas

5: If in doubt, call SCEA's Consumer Service and see if they can help. If nothing else and if your problem is truly unique, doing so should add your particular problem to their issue database and let them track how many players are affected by it, leading the GT team to look at the issue sooner. Ask for a service ticket number, to allow you to call them back and follow up on your issue more easily. Experience shows, however, that C.S. may often refer you to this GT forum for solutions, too, since even they frequently don't have all of the answers.

6: There are still some known issues for which we have no known solutions. Probably most of them, including the recurring "insufficient space" error will require help from the GT team or SONY itself, although a few people have recovered from the insufficient space error by either re-installing game updates or by using a good back-up copy of their progress file.

7: Remember that the forum members can only help you so much, especially if you have not yet made a back-up copy of a good game progression file. SCEA does not openly read these forums and offer help for problems, so it is up to us to look after and help each other. Please be tolerant when dealing with stubborn problems. Also, be very clear, and supply enough details of your problem when writing about them. Don't use emotion and keep focused on the issues keeping you from playing GT.

8: If you were successful at resolving your problem, please come back and post about your solution. That way others can learn from your experience.

Take a few deep breaths, stay calm, be methodical at resolving your problem, and good luck!

Message 19 of 182 (12,916 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
16259 posts

Re: Help! I've got a problem... look here first!

Sep 26, 2011

nice thread!

i have a problem getting to level 40 in apec, only fix i can think of is to just keep playing the game, which i will.

Message 1 of 182 (12,914 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8465 posts

Sep 26, 2011

thansk master!  hopefully this will keep the number of identical posts from appearing.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna (FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only)
GT Saturdays Event Thread
Ex's Racing VideosSupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 2 of 182 (12,914 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Sep 26, 2011

Hello Master GT. I don't know if you are actually from the GT team but its seem that you are the only one addressing this issue. Last week I posted about the error code: 8002AE22 at the moment of installing the update 1.10 of GT5, well now I have several friends that have bought the game new and others with new consoles and they are having the same issue. SCEA respond by saying that is a region issue, what's that suppose to mean?? that they are selling a game that can't be played online?? we all know that is BS. I absoultly belive that the problem its the update itself. GT5 its going to have a year on the market already and all the units that they are selling in my country CAN'T be played only for the same problem, I even try with a BRAND NEW PS3 and still get the error. Its been a month since we had this problem but I belive this is happening way before that. Please give us a solution to this problem the sooner the better. Thanks

Message 3 of 182 (12,914 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
218 posts

Sep 27, 2011

Nice post MastrGT.

Any way to keep this space less cluttered the better. Do you know how often the moderators come in and clear out old or inactive threads?

Thanks.

Message 4 of 182 (12,914 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
41933 posts

Sep 27, 2011

I don't know what the GT team knows about this because it sounded as if they thought the above solution actually worked. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. I tried to make it clear today that it didn't always work (if it worked at all...).

Drako, I don't believe you have said yet which country you are in.

I am not sure the country you are in will cause such an error (that seems to be stretching things a bit), but then we don't know the definition of the error itself yet, either. Other games have the same erro, so I feel it is more network related. I tried to find out the definition today, but my question didn't get a reply. I think the answer to this is very important.

Message 5 of 182 (12,918 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
41933 posts

Sep 27, 2011

NewYorkNative28 wrote:

Nice post MastrGT.

Any way to keep this space less cluttered the better. Do you know how often the moderators come in and clear out old or inactive threads?

As far as I know, they don't do this. The original forums had threads go back to the opening of them back in April 2003. We lost that very useful database of messages, including some rare, original information.

Old threads should just die natural deaths and get buried deeper and deeper, that's all.

Message 6 of 182 (12,918 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
41933 posts

Oct 5, 2011

The top post has been updated to link better advice about resolving the 8002ae22 error.

Message 7 of 182 (12,918 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Oct 5, 2011

Drako2420 wrote:

Hello Master GT. I don't know if you are actually from the GT team but its seem that you are the only one addressing this issue. Last week I posted about the error code: 8002AE22 at the moment of installing the update 1.10 of GT5, well now I have several friends that have bought the game new and others with new consoles and they are having the same issue. SCEA respond by saying that is a region issue, what's that suppose to mean?? that they are selling a game that can't be played online?? we all know that is BS. I absoultly belive that the problem its the update itself. GT5 its going to have a year on the market already and all the units that they are selling in my country CAN'T be played only for the same problem, I even try with a BRAND NEW PS3 and still get the error. Its been a month since we had this problem but I belive this is happening way before that. Please give us a solution to this problem the sooner the better. Thanks

Hello Draco and welcome to the forums. I will try to answer some of the questions that you ask here in your post and also get some other information from you about your problem and the steps you have taken to rectify it.

I do not work for SONY or PD but do have considerable experience with the game.

1) You stated that this is happening to both you and "several" friends, have you done as MastrGT suggested and made a backup of your game save and reinstalled the game?

2 ) "SCEA respond by saying that is a region issue" This means that it is an issue that is only affecting certain areas that SONY supports, not that the game cannot be played online.  "we all know that is BS" Really?? Do you think that SONY is only out to lie to you and that they never have problems with anything (ie: systems, networks, software,etc)? Do you work for SONY? I don't think so, so to make a statement that basically says they are lying to you is pretty ignorant on your part.

3) Where do you live? because if you live outside of the Americas then SCEA will NOT have specific information on problems related to your region, This is why there are support numbers and centers around the world not just in the US.

4) You state that "all the units that they are selling in my country CAN'T be played only for the same problem", This is another extremely broad statement to make regarding this matter, UNLESS your "country" is less than say 1000 people how would you know what is going on in the entire country?

5) Being involved in both the computer industry and customer service for the gaming industry I can assure you that if you had to try to find 1 line of code in a software program that could potentially be causing a problem, it would take you much longer than one month. You do realize that there is more than likely over 1 billion line of code for the game don't you? I can assure you tho that both SONY and PD are working diligently to correct the problem on their end, what have you done on your end to make sure that the problem does not lie there?

Now lets see if maybe there is an issue on your end.

1) what kind of internet service are you currently using? high-speed cable? DSL?

2) are you connected wireless or with an ethernet cable? this does matter here.

3) Have cleared the cache and deleted any unneeded files from your console?

4) which console are you currently playing on? the Gen 1 console (phatty) or the Gen 2 console (slim)?

5) what country do you live in?

Making a statement that it is the update itself would be correct IF everybody was having the same issue,but, since this is not a system-wide problem that is affecting everyone  then it may take a little longer to get corrected ONCE they find the problem.

The one other thing I would like to mention is that PD is the developer of the game and SONY is the publisher. IF this is a game issue then PD will be the one fixing it, if it is a system issue, then SONY will be the one doing the fix (they do not always go hand in hand).

To close, Finding and fixing issues with both a game and a  console is not a 5 minute job, as I stated earlier looking thru every line of code in a video game to find one error in the coding can take months (even with a team of people looking at it).

As MastrGT pointed out in another post on this thread, we lost a massive amount of information and knowledge when they changed to the new forum software.

Sorry for the long post, and if you have any other issues please feel free to post them here and we will do our best to help you solve them.

Original username: Redrkt
Original reg date: 12/30/03

Redrkt RacingTPRA ForumsCustoms Sigs
Message 8 of 182 (12,918 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Oct 5, 2011

I live in Kuwait always updated the game previously and I use the same gen 1 console I always used.

now how do I fix this stupid problem!

Message 9 of 182 (12,917 Views)
0 Likes