First Son
15 posts

Re: options for hosts

Mar 1, 2012

This is the best advise i have ever gotten,  thank you very much. I am going to search the events section of the forum right now....No idea why that never occured to me.  You should be paid for what you just did to help me.

Message 11 of 20 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12271 posts

Mar 1, 2012

dirttdude wrote:

You should be paid for what you just did to help me.

You're welcome...

Where do I send the invoice?

DriverSports.org
Message 12 of 20 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Sep 3, 2012

I believe a text area that hosts can post room regulations and restrictions, and that automatically got posted on a splash screen while the race got loaded would be invaluable. I am tired to death of having to write the basic GTP OLR rules out to each and every new entrant to a rules room, get them to acknowledge it and comply.

I also think it unfair that a host has to exit a race to boot an obviously disruptive player. I do agree however, that an option to either kick from the room (with no re-entry) or kick from the race (with a one-race suspension) might be useful.

I would also like to see 'tight' and 'relaxed' track boundary options, with 'relaxed' being the current ones (with the exception of Fuji) and Fuji-like tightness for ALL tracks being 'tight'. GT5's online Time Trials show that  the game CAN be extremely strict, much stricter than online racing, when it comes to going off. Allowing hosts the options to choose those track boundaries (and have participants aware of it) ought to cut out a LOT of shenanegans that currently go on. Fuji is a FAR more enjoyable track to race since the Spec2 update tightened it. Imagine how good Nordschliese could become with the same degree of enforcement!

GT5 needs so LITTLE to become far more 'adult' and sim-like... to the point that it doesn't REALLY need to wait for GT6 to get stuff like this. Spec3, if it were about RACING, and hosting, could take this game's players happily onwards for enough years that Kaz might actually get GT6 right from the release, rather than several updates later!

Personally, I am content with the physics as is... sure, it could be better, but it presents enough challenge to be head and shoulders above its competitors already. So what is left? Yep.... RACING. And so much of what would make that better seems to be minor additions to the game, and ways for hosts to determine the level of realism desired in any particular room. I don't honestly see why more filters for race lobby selection (why there isn't one for Shuffle now beats me!) or the use of more characters in the room's title (sure is a boatload of empty space in that line) to allow better description, or greater host options for penalizing disruptive players needs a new game...

By now, a lot of the 'casual' GT5 players have played it and left. A far greater proportion of those left playing GT5 online are more serious racers. PD should concentrate on one MORE update, Spec3, that concentrates ENTIRELY on racing issues ONLY. If, as is likely, Kaz is going to take as long if not longer to get GT6 out (and personally, I think he would be wise to wait for the PS4, or the PC sims are going to kill him) as he took on GT5, making one more update that addressed the SERIOUS racers (and their hosts), and allowed easy creation of first class racing would keep all happy for as long as he took!

Make extra money with track DLC only (just how many cars do we NEED?!), and I dare say you won't hear a peep out of the core GT5 serious player no matter HOW long GT6 takes. But leave things in the current limbo and watch out! Let the whining commence!

Message 13 of 20 (228 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44618 posts

Sep 3, 2012

Yes, one more update taking care of all of our little niggles would be great.

I just wish that I could be confident that one more was coming our way.

I like your idea about posting an agreement of race rules before a driver enters an event.

There are user agreements for just about everything, so why not our own races?

Message 14 of 20 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Sep 4, 2012

I'd also like to see selecting 'Race for Real' as a room description and filter would automatically apply 'tight' boundaries, Autokick for reverse driving, no SRF or any aids other than ABS and TC. After all, what's the POINT of describing your room as 'Race for Real' with no tire wear, no damage, track cutting permitted, etc.?

Currently, the filters that PD DO include have little meaning. Track selection seems of little use. 'Race for Real/Fun has absolutely no meaning AFAIK.

Message 15 of 20 (200 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Sep 4, 2012

until we get that miraculous update that gives us everything we need for hosting, I suggest entrants to a room who are confused by the mis-matching of "race for real" and then seeing things like SRF and no tire wear, should just be vocal about it and then leave in protest.

I think what I would do is enter the room, see that SRF was on, and not just leave, but say WHY I was leaving.

I was in a room once that said "No cutting" or the host instructed us or something... It was at Deep Forest, and they all cut the non-road surfaces and used the side-walky areas ad naseum.

I said, "I thought you said NO CUTTING?" and then just left.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 16 of 20 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Sep 5, 2012

You can't always blame the host if the room doesn't obey...

TBH, I have little regard for those that complain about race etiquette, but think the solution is to simply flame out and leave. You are either a part of the solution, or a part of the problem.

If you WANT clean racing in a room, if you WANT race instructions and track boundaries respected, the way to get it is by NAMING NAMES to the host. The least you can do before rage quitting is to TRY and see whether the host will enforce his own instructions. Getting a room clean, getting a room to follow common instructions is the job of EVERY SINGLE DRIVER IN THE ROOM.

Not the host's.

He can't see everything. He can't be everywhere. It is YOUR job as a clean racer to report any and everything you see that is dirty. Not even just to YOU. In fact, you are in a better position to see the driver in FRONT commit infractions, either on the track boundaries or on the car in front of HIM than you are on yourself.

If everyone in the room takes it on themselves to not only drive and race clean, but to remember and report those they saw that didn't, it is the easiest thing in the world for a host to keep a room clean

And, if he doesn't, THEN he deserves your scorn and flameout for not doing his job. But flaming and rage quitting before you have given him the opportunity to show his worth is a bit premature, surely?

Message 17 of 20 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Sep 5, 2012

you don't get it. the host was c utting too. that's why I left in protest. that is the only solution.  I said they were all cutting, not everyone but the host was cutting.   big difference.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 18 of 20 (166 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1088 posts

Sep 5, 2012

I agree with Destinkeys. Just the other day in a room with the majority of drivers being excellent and just a couple being wrecking balls. I spoke up and gave my two cents because nobody could really tell who did exactly what to whom. Anyway, my reply was to quiet everyone for a couple seconds and suggested in the next race we give everybody the benefit of the dought and keep a watchfull eye on the "exact" offenders. Guess what? It worked and we weeded out the offenders.

So yes, I do think a verbal warnings  ahead of time can be stated. It took me awhile to find those drivers/racers that have the same mentality I like to have when "hosting". It has paid off and at the same time i no longer have to go through so many rooms in the lobby to find a descent one. Be patient for this forum has some really good drivers and is getting better as time goes.

Later fellow "gearheads"

" A defeat is good for the character if you take it the right way."

Who said it?
Message 19 of 20 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Sep 8, 2012

exXboxFan wrote:

you don't get it. the host was c utting too. that's why I left in protest. that is the only solution.  I said they were all cutting, not everyone but the host was cutting.   big difference.

Just a thought, but perhaps you missed a host instruction..? Deep Forest, the game itself doesn't penalize the use of the concrete, and it gets to be a nightmare when some cut and others don't, and they all funnel together before the tunnel.

In all honesty, to prevent a morass of 'he said, she said', I make a point of posting (in caps!) that the concrete is in play much of the time. But there are times when drivers either don't see, or don't look at race instructions, being already out on track and oblivious to the text box. And that can lead to things going wrong, and accusations of cutting. Now, I'm not saying that this happened to you, but it is a possibility, and always woth a quick question before you flame out!

TBH, the GTP OLR actually allows this, stating that hosts can make track boundary adjustments pre-race (although it is discouraged at full League level)

Bottom line is, if the room, on the whole, has been clean and fun, flaming out after one thing going wrong is pretty pointless. It will probably take you longer to find another clean room (clean enough for you!) than it will to simply post a couple of texts trying to get a clear definition of acceptable track boundaries...

Message 20 of 20 (137 Views)
0 Likes