Jan 25 2011
By: BlackIceLSC Uncharted Territory 1924 posts

lvl 30 Vettel Challenge. Me & my controller = WOW

40 replies 173 views Edited Jan 25, 2011

I really do suck at this game.

I've had a X-2010 for a couple weeks and have been practicing. But yesterday I unlocked lvl 30 and went to try my hands at the Vettel Challenge.

I am 15 seconds shy of bronze.

Must......practice.....more.....

what's amazing is, I do much better when it doesn't count.

I just can't get the steering input -to-throttle input down pat with my thumbs....

No biggie...like I said, I already have the car....but the challenge is a hurdle I wish to over-come.

so for those of you who are just about the reach that pinnacle in the game, fair warning

2:14 at Nurb short...sounds easy enough?....try doing 2 laps under that time. And that's BRONZE!

Haven't even ventured on to Monza or Suzuka yet.

My garage

http://www.mygranturismo.net/1724

Drafting? Draft this!

Message 1 of 41 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3066 posts

Re: lvl 30 Vettel Challenge. Me & my controller = WOW

Jan 25, 2011

Most people find Monza to be the easiest...and between Suzuka and N'Ring, probably 75% of people find Suzuka to be the hardest of all of them.

If you cut the corners, you should be able to get gold at Monza within a few hours.

Here's my gold video for all three.  Granted, I used a G27, but I hope they help.

PSN ID: U2EDGE

60/60 Gold Licenses
S. Vettel: All Gold

A: 40 - B: 40

Message 2 of 41 (173 Views)
Sackboy
468 posts

Jan 25, 2011

I also have been attempting this event with my DS.....I $uCk at it. I do not have the reflexes it takes to handle that vehicle. I am OK with that I guess, I still try several times a night, I still fail, but I will continue.

Message 3 of 41 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
322 posts

Jan 25, 2011

I can't wait till I'm level 30, then I'll be able to throw myself into this challenge.  Me, my red DS3, and our lady of blessed acceleration. 

Message 4 of 41 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1924 posts

Jan 25, 2011

sadly, I use the ARROW keys to steer my cars.

thiscannot be done with the X-2010...10% turn in ever tap of the arrow doesn't work on a car that requires faster input.

I need to practice using the toggle stick with my thumb.

U2EDGE...thanks for the vids.

I can see Monza being easier in a way because there are more straight-aways, and fewer tight corners except the first chincane.

congrats.

G27

me needs one.

My garage

Drafting? Draft this!

Message 5 of 41 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1924 posts

Jan 25, 2011

U2EDGE.....your MONZA video taught me so much! I didn't know about the 'cut across the grass' section of the 2nd chicances!

AWESOME man! this will help me BIG TIME!

thank you!!!

My garage

Drafting? Draft this!

Message 6 of 41 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3066 posts

Jan 25, 2011

I

BlackIceLSC wrote:

U2EDGE...thanks for the vids.

I can see Monza being easier in a way because there are more straight-aways, and fewer tight corners except the first chincane.

congrats.

G27

me needs one.

My pleasure.  The first chicane at Monza is pretty easy, IMHO. Once you find a visual point to brake, the rest is pretty much turn in behind the first white block and then accelerate across the green patch next to the other white block.  IMHO, the second-to-last turn is the hardest/most vital.  It's easy to DQ there by turning it too soon and cutting the grass too much/turning in too late or with too much speed and getting "beached" or slowing down too much to save your car and not being able to carry the speed down the long backstretch.

When you say "arrows", do you mean the buttons on the d-pad/directional pad?  If so, I can see how that would be really hard.

The G27 is a GREAT wheel.  The Driving Force GT should do the trick as well -- and it'll cost you about a third of a G27.  That being said, I've gotten a new/sealed G27 for under $200 on two different occasions (just re-sold one of them) from Logitech.com. 

60/60 Gold Licenses

Message 7 of 41 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3066 posts

Jan 25, 2011

BlackIceLSC wrote:

U2EDGE.....your MONZA video taught me so much! I didn't know about the 'cut across the grass' section of the 2nd chicances!

AWESOME man! this will help me BIG TIME!

thank you!!!

Glad to help. I knew it took me a long time to get gold on N'ring and Suzuka.  Watched a LOT of videos and ran a lot of laps.  Figured if I could "compile" my notes into a video and hopefully save somebody some time, it'd be worth my while.

60/60 Gold Licenses

Message 8 of 41 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1924 posts

Jan 25, 2011

yea...by 'arrows' I meand D-PAD.

tap tap tap is nothing like "turn" with a wheel.

it works for most races...but the SV Challenge isn't Most races!

I dont know what I'll be getting for a wheel. seems I only need one for this challenge, as the rest of the game has been ok without.

for me, it's a matter of where to mount it, as my TV room has a coffee table that wont work...and I wont go through the effort of building a rig/desk/seat to run one challenge.

so...we'll see.

but thanks again

My garage

Drafting? Draft this!

Message 9 of 41 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
907 posts

Jan 25, 2011

Like most people, I have remapped my 6-axis, so that the right paddle is the acceleration and the left paddle is the brake.  I left the default setting where the right toggle is the accelerator/brake.  From some experiments on Indy in the X2010, it appears that the right toggle will actually give me a few more mph than the paddle.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 41 (173 Views)
0 Likes