Treasure Hunter
4988 posts

Re: getting serious about this.

[ Edited ]
Sep 29, 2012

Hi dutchdmax. Smiley Happy

LIke the others, I'd like to welcome you to the forums. There are some good people here.

I agree with MastrGT. Please share pics of your finished racing rig. Being a fellow woodworker/cabinetmaker, I'd love to see your work. Smiley Wink Shoot, ya might even inspire me to finally make one for myself. Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 27 (412 Views)
Lombax Warrior
206 posts

Sep 30, 2012

thanks Dave.

will definately share pics of the project.  my shop is pretty busy right now though so i doubt i'll be getting started on the 'good' one right away.

plan for now is just to slap something together interim.  so i can at least use the wheel somewhat comfortably.   it aint gonna be pretty, just using scraps ans leftovers,  function over form in this case.

and on that bombshell.....
Message 12 of 27 (384 Views)
Lombax Warrior
206 posts

Oct 5, 2012

well guys, here it is.

suprising what 20 min.  will get you when you are really excited to try your new g-27.

as mentioned,  this one is just interem.  once i track down a good cheap car seat i'll get around to putting a better one together.  besides, the new house isn't quite ready yet,  we're still in the fifth-wheel.  oh well,  priorities,  finish my house,  keep up with shop work,  practice with the wheel.

some things that i can improve now with the wheel....

roll into the throttle out of corners

light to medium brake pressure is now possible coming into corners

more precise lines,  more apexes hit properly.

one thing i cannot get a handle on yet is recovering a slide,  if the back steps out im almost certainly going all the way around.  once in a while i can catch it,  but i think that is more luck than skill.   getting a little better tho.   not quite as good as before yet,  but good enough to win a couple of the muscle car seasonals.  only had a few hours so far,  pressure is on to finish house before really cold weather hits.

overall, the best thing to happen to this game since i got it, what a blast!

and on dirt.... holy man ,  awesome!

my son has now new motivation to save up and get his own.IMG_0257.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

Message 13 of 27 (354 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1086 posts

Oct 5, 2012

Looks good duthcdmax! Hey, if it is solid and doesn't move around much then it will work. We all gotta start somewhere, right? I wanted a rig and came close to getting one too. But I didn't want too much stuff in my room and wanted to keep my  precious desk top space. So on my classic STEELCASE all steel desk there is this perfect space underneath the front drawer that my Logitech Driving Force could clamp too and with the height adjustable chair and perfect peddle placement it was a perfect setup! The only thing thatcan  move this desk is an earthquake!

With winter around the corner I do hope you get settled in fairly quick. There's no fun when you're on a time crunch and things get done haphazardly.

" A defeat is good for the character if you take it the right way."

Who said it?
Message 14 of 27 (341 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
206 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 14, 2012

little update:

my times using the wheel are now compareable to my controller times. some are even faster, its so fun beating your best lap when you know how hard it was to get that time previously.
cant quite get the gtr record on nurb yet that i got with the controller, but im getting close.

my stand is sturdy for sure, chair is not that comfy tho.

oh, and my son now has a DFGT, due to space limitations hes just using a tv tray and a kitchen chair, works well enough but not too stable.

we've bee having qiute a few of good battles, particularily with the wrx and the evo. well matched cars. another set we use for close racing is the gtr and the zr1 vette, just had some fantastic slice and dice on suzuka last night.

was pretty bummed i missed GT Saturday yesterday. forgot about the time difference, (duuhh!) was all ready with pink wheels and everything, Hopefully next week. gonna try for monday though.

house is coming good(ish), should be in in a couple weeks.

ttyl, guys

Message 15 of 27 (309 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Oct 15, 2012

If you want to get clean in preparation for racing in good rooms, I can suggest that you apply clean racing rules to yourself even when racing the AI... That is, if you make contact on them, either return position if you pass, or don't use the contact as an aid to get past. Admittedly, after about a lap or so, you will pretty much get used to what line they are going to take, so you can pick either outside or inside to pass, depending on the corner.

But the main thing to do is be sure to remember that, once you are racing real people, you will almost completely have to wean yourself off of late braking (or more accurately, not EARLY braking, like the AI do!) the turn and taking easy passes. You won't find too many good drivers that you'll be able to pull that off on..! Rather, concentrate on trying to take a non-racing line turn as quickly as you can, so doing over-unders don't put you on a line you are completely unfamiliar with.

Try to familiarize yourself with some good League rules (I use the GTP OLR as a basis in my rooms) and practice head to head with your son using those. Getting used to self-penalizing for infractions takes a bit of getting used to, if you have been relying on the game's penalty system (a waste of time, IMO) to decide what is clean and what isn't. But it will help you integrate into good clean rooms easier than simple lap speeds...

Message 16 of 27 (291 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
206 posts

Oct 15, 2012

Thanks dk ;

what are the GTP OLR?  Where can I read/see them?

Yes, I was doing some of what you mentioned last night in arcade mode with the AI on pro.  Its kinda easy to know where they will be.

They take the racing line shown in game...always... no matter what,  and will bump you out of the way to stay on it.  But it was fun beating them while keeping my car as untouched as possible,  finding a way around them off the racing line became easier when I turned Driving Line off.

My son and I always are careful about not crashing eachother,  close quarters battles are more fun!  We wait for eachother if one crashes, even it it wasn't our fault.  We warn each other "on your left!"  or  " inside"  etc.  Not as easy to predict where he'll be though, LOL.  And we always give position back when warranted.

Message 17 of 27 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Oct 15, 2012

Just Google GTP OLR. It will come up.

Just concentrate on the racing etiquette and contact and concession rules, and you are good to go in pretty much any well organized room or series.

I agree that the racing line is a distraction. Part of racing is having to find lines OTHER than the racing line to pass on, and having that line on screen is distracting, IMO.

A good exercise for you and your son might be to try to deliberately drive side by side as fast as you can without contact through something pretty twisty (but at least two cars wide) so you both get used to not turning in or washing out into the overlapped car and knowing how fast you can get away with it! Try it with identical cars...

Message 18 of 27 (278 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1621 posts

Dec 9, 2012

WyldAnimal wrote:

I want the 3 Multi-Screen Setup, but it will take me a few months to get all of that together..

And Finally I have all the Pieces 
20121208_213021.jpg

Message 19 of 27 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1621 posts

Dec 9, 2012

Another View..

20121208_212514.jpg

Message 20 of 27 (236 Views)