Sep 28 2012
By: dutchdmax Lombax Warrior 206 posts

getting serious about this.

26 replies 602 views Edited Sep 28, 2012

hello,  ive been lurking about here for a few weeks now, figured i'd say hi.

i'm in the beginning  stages of the whole sim racing scene.  ive been a gt fan since gt2  years ago. didnt do much for a number of years and just recently got hooked again with gt5.

this is the first time i've done anything online.  tried a few lounge races. started reading on here.  pretty much done as much in the game as i can forsee doing, 'cept maybe grind out a couple more endurance races.

now ive decided that a wheel is in my future,  ordered the g27,  should be here in a few days,  cant wait.

now,  the plan is to improve driving skill and to practice with the wheel.  so i can run with some of you guys on here,   i also need to break myself of the 'hard into the corner bump the AI out of the way' racing that ive grown acustomed to playing the game offline,

luckily, my son is also a big fan of racing games.  we've had some tremendous battles in two player, good practice for some clean racing.

he really wants me to get a second wheel.

anyhow, just wanted to drop a line, say hi,  and warn you about the noob coming to your online racing. lol.

i'm hoping to be adept enough  at racing non-AI's that i dont mess up a good run someones got going,  i've watched a few online races and they are tremendously fun looking. 

i'm looking forward to having some great slice an' dice racing with you guys, once i get good with the wheel.  hopefully that doesnt take too long.    i'll be building a racing rig for it as well in the near future.

any hints tips advice you have for me would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

and on that bombshell.....

Message 1 of 27 (602 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44904 posts

Re: getting serious about this.

Sep 28, 2012

The will to improve will drive you to new levels of excellence.

Never stop wanting to improve.

However, the quickest path to getting better is by racing with other humans. You are doing that now, but things will pick up even more once you run with a more diverse set of drivers. With that in mind, please consider joining the community races held here on Saturday afternoon's and Monday nights. There are other events, too, but these should be good introductions to the broad GT membership.

Message 2 of 27 (591 Views)
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
315 posts

Sep 28, 2012

dutchmax, Glad to hear you are getting a wheel. I got a driving force gt from logitech and its elevated my racing experience by a tremendous amount

As far as racing with other people.

The Saturday and Monday get together are all about running shorter races i believe. 10-20 minute races. Or at elast for sure the Monday events. Those are fun because you get to run with friends and just have some clean FUN racing.

Now, we here in the community do have longer races if you are interested.

Theres events that i race:

FF Series ran by eciracing has the cars set to 460pp. All front wheel drive. All assists are allowed in this one. We run on Wednesdays and the races run about 45-60 minutes. The cars are pretty low in hp and weight which leads to some crazy side by side racing lap after lap.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Gran-Turismo-Events/FF-Series-Season-3-Wednesday-Night-Online...

thats the link for the FF series.

Here's the link to the Event Page where you can browse the events we run here on the PSN forum:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Gran-Turismo-Events/bd-p/22682

Theres plenty of series that use no assists and ones that use "some" assists and ones that use all the asists.

It all depends on what you are into. We're always starting new series after the end so theres RARELY a week with out racing.

Get out there practice and  start competing. You wont regret it.

juandejuarezimage069
Message 3 of 27 (581 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44904 posts

Sep 28, 2012

The Saturday races were meant to cover an hour of racing, but that format has changed, to experiment and when appropriate, as needed.

I also wanted to mention that it takes about a week of regular usage to get comfortable with a wheel. It takes a bit longer to improve on your speed with it, but not that much. However, you will need that wheelstand.

Message 4 of 27 (575 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3586 posts

Sep 28, 2012

Greetings dutchdmax!!

Oh buddy you're going to love that G27 wheel, adds a whole new level of emersion into the game, more realistic.  I got the G25 model myself, still going strong.

Online playability I believe was a mile stone for PD with GT5 as we didn't have online capabilities like this in the past.  It defiantly makes the game more fun to be able to interact with others and actually race real people.

Also great that your son likes racing game too.  What a great thing to bond over and have fun with.  You guys have at least 2 PS3's so he can be playing on one and you the other and be playing in a online room together with other people?  That would be the ultimate fun, but of course you'd need some fast internet service to handle the data traffic.

Welcome to the forums!!  Please be a regular out here and chat with us.  This is a good place for all things GT information related, a lot of helpful people out here if you have questions or problems.  You're welcome to send me a friend invite if you like, I'll gift you some cars, your son too if he has his own account to help get you guys started.  Smiley Happy

photo PSForumSigPic1_zps15f972f0.png
Message 5 of 27 (563 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Sep 28, 2012

hi and welcome.

sounds like you have the rigth attitude to approach the sport of driving, as you've discovered that merely "playing the game" is getting too old too fast.

for the record, most of the GT Satudays races are between 45 to 1 hr in length.  That would be termed by most people out there is a mini-enduro, but in reality, is a fairly normal race when one is organized rather than just being a "pickup race".

i'm working on having the ability to post more race videos and pictures, but that takes a lot of work unfortunately.

sometmies the saturday races involved a few shorter races, but most of the time 45min to 1hr.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 6 of 27 (559 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1089 posts

Sep 28, 2012

It might not take you a week to get used to the wheel at all. I believe that applies to some but not all. Case in point, me. When I bought my Logitech Driving Force wheel it took me seriously  an hour to adapt to it and get used to the feel of how it worked for GT5. So much so  that I went back and obtained every gold in the license segment of GT5 all in the same day. Because it was such a blast and became to me a whole new experience. It might happen to you and how soon you can adapt. One thing for sure is that when you get it and hook it up I wish I can see the smile on your face and say " oh yeah baby!"

Oh, and welcome to the forum. We have a miata TC race this Saturday if you want to join? Just send a reply and I will give you details.

" A defeat is good for the character if you take it the right way."

Who said it?
Message 7 of 27 (533 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1621 posts

Sep 28, 2012

Ahh, Now that you have the Wheel, you should want to build a driving Sled, Cockpit, Seat.. whatever they are calling it now..
Check out this thread about the Sounds..
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Gran-Turismo-Series-General/Are-car-sounds-getting-much-bette...

I started with just a wheel.  Sat at a Table with the wheel and the pedals on the floor.

I thought it was great at first,  then on long 1/2 hour or more races, the fatigue sets in and the Leg cramps..
I just wasn't set up in a comfortable position...
So the wheel has evolved in to a driving sled..

Much more comfortable to say the least.

Not including the Wheel, PS3, and TV I put mine together for under $200

I've got $100-$125 in wood and hardware ( I used 2x3's not 2x4's)

The Seat is from an Auto Salvage U-Pull it. $25

I found an "Open Box" sound bar $55

It's a never ending experience...

I just recently add a $100 Amp and Bass Shaker though..
And I got a G27 off Ebay, should get it next week..

I ordered 2 new copies of GT5 2.0 version

I have Bids on 6 different  PS3 consoles going, I'll let some of them go, if I get at least 2 of them

and I have 2 more identical 32" TV's on Lay away..

I want the 3 Multi-Screen Setup, but it will take me a few months to get all of that together..

It's just too bad that GT5 / PS3 doesn't have Pitch, Roll, and Yaw outputs to build an Actual Motion Seat..

Message 8 of 27 (517 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
206 posts

Sep 29, 2012
hey guys, thamks for the replies. what a fantastic wecome!

in response.....yes ive seen some of the online regular races listed here, im thinking monday and wednesday are gonna work best for me as saturday the internet hear is usually pretty slow.
i picked up the miata TC the other day, what a great little car! looking forward to racing that one.
also watched a monday race, think you were all running the mp4-12c. you guys are good! looks like a lot of fun. not only the driving fast part but the comaraderie.

i've started designing a cokpit, i think i may be getting a bit caried away with the design though, i'm a cabinetmaker and ive got everything going on...hiden hinges, slides, dowel pin adjustment holes, diferent layouts so one can go from a more upright passenger car type to the reclined f1 type. thats just gonna take way to long and im not quite that patient. so it'll probly end up being pretty simple. the first one anyway.

man, a second ps3, means another tv, and another racing setup.....hey i'm taking donations! lol. my son works for me in the shop occasionaly, so he can buy his own, or ill buy it and get some free labour! would be seriously sweet though. connection speed is a worry, have to see what i can do about that.

i've read about taking a week or so to get up on the wheel, i cant really see that, maybe 3-4 days. depending on how much i get to race i guess .and yes, the first time on it will definately be a "Oh yeah baby!" moment.

thanks again for the welcome, really looking forward to some fun clean side by side battles with y'all.
Message 9 of 27 (460 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44904 posts

Sep 29, 2012

Yes, the amount of time that it takes an individual to acclimatise to a wheel varies, but, I say a week based on comments from members who have posted their stories here and elsewhere. That was my own experience, too.

Good luck on your wheelstand. We would love to see the finished product. Heart

Message 10 of 27 (440 Views)
0 Likes