First Son
8 posts

Re: You think I could set up a wheel here?

Aug 11, 2010

Thanks so much to everyone, this has really helped me out a lot. I didn't know there were so many cheap options to hold the wheel.

Message 11 of 28 (182 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
461 posts

Aug 12, 2010

CaptainAlbator wrote:

SWERV_GRIFFIN wrote:

I found these tables at Walmart online. They are $49 for 4 tables plus the stand. They seem tall enough for a guy your size, and are inexpensive. They also fold up for storage. One of these with a DFGT Logitech would do just fine. It's no Obutto, but with your limited space, it is a valid choice.Pedals would sit on the floor, and have "teeth underneath the pedal assembly to grip the carpet.

TV Tables

I've tried using those tables. The problem is they aren't very stable. When you start to steer the table will go in all sorts of directions. If you're willing to spend a bit more money, a company called Fanatec has a wheel stand to fit the Driving Force GT.

Fanatec.De Rennsport Wheel Stand.

Set it up, then when you're done playing you fold it up and tuck it away.

I started out with those tv trays.  I "C" clamped a patio paver on it and it worked just fine.  You will have to do some fine adjustments to it to get it to your liking,  but its a cheap start.

I now own the Rennsport Wheel stand.  I like it.  I was room space challenged so I couldn't get a cockpit where I needed so the wheel stand was the way to go.

If you are handy, one can be made in just a few hours.  There are lots of designs out there to follow if you are so inclined.

boston77

Photobucket

Message 12 of 28 (182 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
674 posts

Aug 12, 2010

MastrGT wrote:

It's called the WheelStation Pro and is still be available for only $50US, but it could also be home-made fairly easily.

For $50, help out the economy.

Much appreciated. Thanks.

Photobucket
Message 13 of 28 (182 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6680 posts

Aug 12, 2010

CaptainAlbator wrote:

SWERV_GRIFFIN wrote:

I found these tables at Walmart online. They are $49 for 4 tables plus the stand. They seem tall enough for a guy your size, and are inexpensive. They also fold up for storage. One of these with a DFGT Logitech would do just fine. It's no Obutto, but with your limited space, it is a valid choice.Pedals would sit on the floor, and have "teeth" underneath the pedal assembly to grip the carpet.

TV Tables

I've tried using those tables. The problem is they aren't very stable. When you start to steer the table will go in all sorts of directions. If you're willing to spend a bit more money, a company called Fanatec has a wheel stand to fit the Driving Force GT.

Fanatec.De Rennsport Wheel Stand.

Set it up, then when you're done playing you fold it up and tuck it away.

Obviously the TV tables are not real stable or ideal. The Wheelstand Pro is great, but costs 3 times as much, and is far from an ideal solution itself. The cost alone is often a huge bone of contention for many racers. Myself, I designed and built a custom Racing Station  that has a real car seat, and works either with my DFGT or my G27. The OP was looking for an inexpensive solution that would fit in a very limited space. I think that we all answered that very well. Whatever solution he uses  will be a compromise due to inadequate room to race properly. Racing Station with G27- Unpainted

photo Can-AmRacingFerrari350SWERVSig3_zps05defb05.jpg
Message 14 of 28 (182 Views)
Wastelander
630 posts

Aug 12, 2010
my first question is who shares the space with you?
Message 15 of 28 (182 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
42670 posts

Aug 12, 2010

SWERV_GRIFFIN wrote:

The Wheelstand Pro is great, but costs 3 times as much, and is far from an ideal solution itself. The cost alone is often a huge bone of contention for many racers.

$50 for a good folding stand designed to do the job right shouldn't be ignored, though. As I said, for that kind of money vs TV tables, just buy one.

Now, if the OP wants really cheap, too, then how does $5 or less sound?

Message 16 of 28 (182 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1670 posts

Aug 12, 2010

I use a folding table bought either at Lowes or Walmart. It is only 4ft wide so it doesn't take up a lot of space. It is very stable when playing. Cost around $40. You just need to find a comfortable chair. Petals fit nicely underneath and I can sit things on the table while I play. Also Easy to store.

Folding Table

Mom can I have another quarter, pleeezzzzzzzz!!!!!
Message 17 of 28 (182 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
17388 posts

Aug 12, 2010

nice rig you got there dude !! 

+1

GTA V FTW !

PSN : Stackcluster
Born young, not dead yet !
Message 18 of 28 (182 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6680 posts

Aug 12, 2010

Thank you very much!!

Between the sliders on the seat and the adjustable bolt holes, my rig fits every size driver imaginable. I purposely designed it that way. The style of adjustability on the seat's backrest( knob vs. lever style) makes it very customizable for extreme comfort. That helps in the Endurance races we run each month ( lately).

Message 19 of 28 (182 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6680 posts

Aug 12, 2010

MastrGT wrote:

SWERV_GRIFFIN wrote:

The Wheelstand Pro is great, but costs 3 times as much, and is far from an ideal solution itself. The cost alone is often a huge bone of contention for many racers.

$50 for a good folding stand designed to do the job right shouldn't be ignored, though. As I said, for that kind of money vs TV tables, just buy one.

Now, if the OP wants really cheap, too, then how does $5 or less sound?

MGT, I was referring to the Wheelstand Pro, not the Wheelstation Pro. The Wheelstand Pro is a nice option , but is around $150 shipped or more.

Message 20 of 28 (182 Views)
0 Likes