Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 11 2010
By: meetah First Son 8 posts

You think I could set up a wheel here?

27 replies 25 views Edited Aug 11, 2010

I've never owned a GT game and I've never used a racing wheel for any games. I've been following this game for a while now and want to get the best experience out of it. The pictures below are my tiny setup in my room where I'll play it. I just want to know from people who know the size of the wheel if I could set it up here and which way would be the best way to set it up.

http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad75/Meetah13/008.jpg

http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad75/Meetah13/007.jpg

http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad75/Meetah13/006.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 28 (25 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41201 posts

Re: You think I could set up a wheel here?

Aug 11, 2010

meetah wrote:

I just want to know from people who know the size of the wheel if I could set it up here and which way would be the best way to set it up.

If you use something that is not designed to hold a wheel, you will be making a compromise (or more).

If you are thinking of attaching the wheel to the stand, then you will be sitting very closely to the TV and the height of the wheel may be pretty low (I'm guessing here...).

On the other hand, you can make something customised to hold a wheel and, when using an appropriate chair, it won't take up a lot of space.

Something like this:

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 28 (25 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Aug 11, 2010

Yeah, the stand is two feet high and I am 6' 2". The wheel goes at an upward angle though and I have a chair that goes pretty low. I figured I could put the pedals in the bottom with the games keeping them in place.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 28 (25 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41201 posts

Aug 11, 2010

Remember that you will probably be sitting without moving for quite some time, so you want to make sure that you are also comfortable.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 28 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
435 posts

Aug 11, 2010

Your pictures don't really help any guy. It's just showing your entertainment area for the most part. We'd need to see the whole room in order to get a better idea of what you can and cannot fit in there.

EMPIRE STATE OF MIND
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 28 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2636 posts

Aug 11, 2010

So the wheel would be attached to that entertainment center? Well first you should test how sturdy it is by wobbling it a little. If your TV and everything shakes quite a bit then it's probably not a good option. If it is sturdy then the big problem I see is that the bottom the the entertainment center isn't open so your legs, feet and pedals would have to be almost directly underneath you which would probably be uncomfortable. If you put the pedals in the stand I kind of doubt you'd be able to keep them still (tried something like that before) and it seems like you'd be hitting your shins on the middle shelf. Also it looks like it could be too short. Having the wheel on something too short sucks, I've tried that as well.

Your best bet is it make a stand like MastrGT said. But if you just want something playable and temporary you could try to find a nice table around the house. My temporary solution was to put a decent and fairly tall table in front of my entertainment center, put the TV on it, attach the wheel and sit in a chair. It was very ugly if you care about home aesthetics but it was comfortable and worked great.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 28 (25 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6633 posts

Aug 11, 2010

I found these tables at Walmart online. They are $49 for 4 tables plus the stand. They seem tall enough for a guy your size, and are inexpensive. They also fold up for storage. One of these with a DFGT Logitech would do just fine. It's no Obutto, but with your limited space, it is a valid choice.Pedals would sit on the floor, and have "teeth underneath the pedal assembly to grip the carpet.

TV Tables

photo Can-AmRacingFerrari350SWERVSig3_zps05defb05.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 28 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
674 posts

Aug 11, 2010

MastrGT wrote:

meetah wrote:

I just want to know from people who know the size of the wheel if I could set it up here and which way would be the best way to set it up.

If you use something that is not designed to hold a wheel, you will be making a compromise (or more).

If you are thinking of attaching the wheel to the stand, then you will be sitting very closely to the TV and the height of the wheel may be pretty low (I'm guessing here...).

On the other hand, you can make something customised to hold a wheel and, when using an appropriate chair, it won't take up a lot of space.

Something like this:

MastrGT do you have more info on this stand? I had an opportunity to test drive one just like it this past weekend, but the owner didn't have any specifics on it at the time.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 28 (25 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41201 posts

Aug 11, 2010

It's called the WheelStation Pro and is still be available for only $50US, but it could also be home-made fairly easily.

For $50, help out the economy.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 28 (25 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24409 posts

Aug 11, 2010

SWERV_GRIFFIN wrote:

I found these tables at Walmart online. They are $49 for 4 tables plus the stand. They seem tall enough for a guy your size, and are inexpensive. They also fold up for storage. One of these with a DFGT Logitech would do just fine. It's no Obutto, but with your limited space, it is a valid choice.Pedals would sit on the floor, and have "teeth underneath the pedal assembly to grip the carpet.

TV Tables

I've tried using those tables. The problem is they aren't very stable. When you start to steer the table will go in all sorts of directions. If you're willing to spend a bit more money, a company called Fanatec has a wheel stand to fit the Driving Force GT.

Fanatec.De Rennsport Wheel Stand.

Set it up, then when you're done playing you fold it up and tuck it away.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 28 (25 Views)
0 Likes