Fender Bender
4679 posts

Re: Wish GT5 would consider adding Formula 1 Racing Danica Patrick win in Japan

Aug 27, 2009

madSomnambulist wrote:

It's cars in the Indy series that are mostly spec and F1 cars vary wildly, even if 90% of the outer appearance looks the same. Codemasters has the official license for F1 titles coming to PS3 and X360 in 2010, so it would be highly unlikely GT5 would have it as well. It is true the F2007 isn't a current model-- however, when GTP5 came out in early 2008, the 2008 model wouldn't have been finalized early enough to be rendered into the game, thus we got the F2007. There are also major business/political issues regarding how Ferrari handles it's "obsolete" models, but I could waste an hour trying to talk about that.

In terms of what would be more 'fun'/faster to race, what the average player wants (even if they don't know it) is F1-type cars. They don't have the top speed of the Indy machines without massive aero modifications, but the handing charactistics are far better. There's a reason F1 is considered the pinnacle in motorsport and the highest level of open-wheel racing. In GT3 and 4 the "Formula GT" endgame event wasn't run with machines that were quite F1-type... they had the absurd power of the V12 F1 era but the handling of a GP2 series car. They were harshly unstable to drive and the F2007 acts a lot more like an open-wheeled car should.

As for Danica? She's claimed she has no interest in F1, and there have been no known talks with the new USF1 (or USGPE) team for 2010. Even the team principle says she's not the type of driver they're looking for.

It's been a long time since I've read a post this long and had to reply to different sections of it.

Indycar as a spec series:

Yes, in their current form they are a spec series. This would make one car with a lot of paint schemes very easy for PD to render. +1 for ease of application.

However, past models vary considerably, especially if you go beyond the simple Dalara/Panoz era. I wonder how many people knew what I was talking about when I mentioned the 200ci turbocharged stock-block Chevy?

What's more 'fun'/faster:

That will vary by track and personality. I have always been an advocate of choice. I would choose to have Indycars if it were up to me, but I would never be against F1 cars because I know that other people love them.

GT3/GT4 endgame F1 race:

In GT3 there were 6 very different F1 type cars that were clearly from different eras. The V12 handling like a GP2 car was only one of them.

GT4 only had one F1 car, and it was an unlicenced car made to look like a 2004/5 F1 car, and it handled the part.

Danica:

She was only mentioned because she is the biggest public figure that Indycar has right now. The OP must have been thinking that her winning in Japan (PD's country of origin) might have influenced PD's decision to include Indycar into GT5. I doubt that this is the case, but I'm sure it didn't hurt.

Message 21 of 25 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Aug 27, 2009

Pyro6000 wrote:

GT3/GT4 endgame F1 race:

In GT3 there were 6 very different F1 type cars that were clearly from different eras. The V12 handling like a GP2 car was only one of them.

GT4 only had one F1 car, and it was an unlicenced car made to look like a 2004/5 F1 car, and it handled the part.

My mistake entirely, it's been so ridiculously long since I played GT3 with that. All I remember of 4 is that you can lap the thing at Monaco faster than any actual track record, so I'll put it into the realm of "slight exaggeration", lol. ...And I know they're unlicensed, this being why it should (well, theoretically) be more exciting to drive an actual car for the series in GT5. I know it's asking a lot of PD, but I hope they put the game into the hands of talented testers who could get certain lap times on real circuits with the F2007 (or whatever other serious race car in the game) and have the times/results compared with real-world data collection. People are runnning Suzuka faster than the record at present even on the S2 tires, so I'm hoping for a bit of adjusting.

Message 22 of 25 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1436 posts

Aug 27, 2009
i have a bet and have heard, that more Racing lengends go in and outta PD's doors then they care to share about.
Listen to the lullaby
of carbon monoxide

Message 23 of 25 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8363 posts

Aug 27, 2009

madSomnambulist wrote:
All I remember of 4 is that you can lap the thing at Monaco faster than any actual track record, so I'll put it into the realm of "slight exaggeration", lol. ...And I know they're unlicensed, this being why it should (well, theoretically) be more exciting to drive an actual car for the series in GT5. I know it's asking a lot of PD, but I hope they put the game into the hands of talented testers who could get certain lap times on real circuits with the F2007 (or whatever other serious race car in the game) and have the times/results compared with real-world data collection. People are runnning Suzuka faster than the record at present even on the S2 tires, so I'm hoping for a bit of adjusting.

This has always been a "problem" with Gran Turismo, or any other racing game. A person can always drive a car faster when there is no actual physical strain or danger involved. Even if you had a 100% accurate physics model, you will still run faster than real track records because you can focus more on driving than on fighting g-forces, and you can push more to the limit without concern for injury or equipment damage.
Message 24 of 25 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1436 posts

Aug 27, 2009
but most the time people are on R tires and their reallife cars has bald econ tires/
Listen to the lullaby
of carbon monoxide

Message 25 of 25 (91 Views)
0 Likes