Treasure Hunter
4992 posts

Re: Wheel vs. Controller

Sep 30, 2012

hellsoul0 wrote:
well i try. i read the descriptions of each tuning and try to adjust them accordingly but mainly it just blind tuning which is very bad

I don't know if you're doing this already but...

When you're tuning and don't really understand what's doing what to your set up, make sure you only adjust one thing at a time, See exactly what kind of change that made in the handling of the car. If you make multiple adjustments at the same time and then you don't like the changes, you don't know what adjustment/adjustments changed it for the worse.

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Message 31 of 47 (352 Views)
Lombax Warrior
222 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 30, 2012

hellsoul0 wrote:
i probably play 3-4 hours 5-7 times a week just trying to do seasonal and special and A spec and license XD yet i dont think im all that good Smiley Tongue

I have been playing since GT1, and I am still getting better. Plus, the current seasonal's are quite a bit harder than usual. As for wheel VS controller, I doubt one is faster than the other. Those who own a wheel tend to enjoy this game a lot, have a lot of time invested and probably know how to tune their cars properly. Simply implying that the top 50 have wheels, therefore wheels are faster is, in my opinion, wrong. Those in the top 50 with the wheels are dedicated, tune the car's to their likeing, and have lots of time on their hands, Smiley Wink Or they're just that good...

Message 32 of 47 (348 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Sep 30, 2012

I think the thing boils down to, are you a 'gamer' or a 'driver'? If you are old enough to drive, why would you want to control a car any other way?

For me, it's not about whether I'm a hair faster on one or the other, but that there exists a fairly affordable (DFGT costs about what 2 games cost) way of controlling an on-screen car with the same types of controls you do in real life. I've been driving for 40 years, give or take. Controlling a car any other way simply feels WRONG... Mind you, I have done it, but the minute I got my DFGT, that controller hasn't been used in over two years!

Message 33 of 47 (341 Views)
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Sep 30, 2012

i dont want to control a car any other way Smiley Tongue but its all i have since i dont have the money or the space to make a racing seat and add wheels/pedals so i practice my skill with a controller to the best of my ablitiles 

Message 34 of 47 (322 Views)
VP of Gaming
28552 posts

Sep 30, 2012

hellsoul0 wrote:

i dont want to control a car any other way Smiley Tongue but its all i have since i dont have the money or the space to make a racing seat and add wheels/pedals so i practice my skill with a controller to the best of my ablitiles 

You don't have to build a racing seat. You can rig a stand or fasten the wheel to a table and achieve the same effect. Fanatec sells stands, and you can find the Wheel Stand Pro on Amazon.com. Thrustmaster has a new Ferrari licenese wheel that folds up as part of it's own stand. If you're inventive, you can improvise a stand. It's all about being creative and not succumbing to what's known as function fixedness. 

Message 35 of 47 (309 Views)
MVP Support
44376 posts

Sep 30, 2012

hellsoul0 wrote:

Before I got the RennSport folding stand, I made a simple stand out of a scrap dresser and some L-brackets to hold it all together. The brackets (enough for two stands) and screws cost me less than $5, and the stand takes up hardly any room. Smiley Wink

The stand is simple enough that my young daughter put one together for herself, too.

Message 36 of 47 (296 Views)
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Sep 30, 2012

woo hoo for alternative equipment, on a side note, does anyone feel like they are cheating when they use the 2011 redbull protoype in a A spec race? XD

Message 37 of 47 (289 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 1, 2012

I refuse to drive it. If I wanted to play Ridge Racer, I'd play Ridge Racer!

You get a wheel, and let necessity be the mother of invention. I'm using a computer chair and a re-tasked piano bench! Whatever it takes, mate..!

Message 38 of 47 (274 Views)
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Oct 1, 2012
yeah but it is fun to give it the speed test Smiley Tongue the figures are quite amazing
Message 39 of 47 (266 Views)
Splicer
90 posts

Oct 1, 2012

I have used my GT Driving force, but the pedals seem to close together for me to drive comfortably. I'm in the process of selling it.

Message 40 of 47 (249 Views)
0 Likes