Message 41 of 47 (350 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Re: Wheel vs. Controller

[ Edited ]
Oct 1, 2012

Wanda_Lust wrote:

I have used my GT Driving force, but the pedals seem to close together for me to drive comfortably. I'm in the process of selling it.

Different cars have the pedals in slightly different places too. You just get used to it. Same with controllers. Let's face it, few driving controllers have wheels the same size as real cars, too (or at least the street cars). Somehow we manage.

But no-one drives a real car with a joystick. Not even in the Nintendo age! Your biggest obstacle to using joysticks in real cars comes in emergency maneuvers. As you get thrown about by sudden direction changes, the small movement of moment a joystick has compared to a wheel to go full lock to full lock makes it much more likely you will make erratic moves involuntarily.

Try this... play GT5 with a stick, and then have a friend jerk your upper body around and tug on your arms. Best of luck!

But a wheel allows greater control in extreme maneuvers. Driving a game car with a stick just makes you accept too much computer help as the game tries to smooth your motions. Me, I want ONLY my input to drive the car!

Message 42 of 47 (328 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1034 posts

Oct 1, 2012

Destinkeys wrote:
Driving a game car with a stick just makes you accept too much computer help as the game tries to smooth your motions. Me, I want ONLY my input to drive the car!

By this do you mean that when using a controller you need computer help from the driving aids (active steering and wotnot) in order to drive smoothly, or are you just trying to highlight the difference in range of motion between a stick controller and a wheel where the PS3 may compensate for the lack range by controllling the "sensitivity" of the stick input?

Photobucket

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"
"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.. "
Message 43 of 47 (319 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Oct 2, 2012

Even with no aids actively switched on, GT5 is still doing some background 'smoothing' and predictive coding to your input, I believe. After all, no real wheel can go from extreme lock to lock in the fraction of a second you can do it with a stick! Try doing it and watching from outside... The wheels lag your input a bit, as code slows down unnatural input.

There's simply no way that a half inch of travel can be as sensitive as 900 degrees of rotation, and for you to not careen uncontrollably around the track if a straight 1:1 movement was implemented, some kind of smoothing needs to be done. So I have heard, anyway! Makes sense if you kind of think about it, no?

Message 44 of 47 (292 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Oct 3, 2012

indeed soemthing to think about

Message 45 of 47 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
907 posts

Oct 4, 2012

I have both a wheel and controller, but find myself using the controller a lot more simply because I am used to it (and because I like having my nose up to the screen).  You can win these races with a controller.  In fact, I know people who can beat almost everyone else just using the d-pad.

But if you really want to use the full potential of the game, you should get a wheel.  A couple of examples:

• When exiting a corner, the optimum technique is to increase your acceleration as you "unwind" the wheel.  That is very difficult to do on a stick with only 1" of spring-centered travel.  But it will gain you seconds if the turn is at the beginning of a long straight.
  • One way to deal with excess wheelspin (due to slippery tires or a wet road) is to upshift.  You can use manual with a stick, but it is more difficult and few people do it.

Sure, a wheel has some drawbacks.  It is much easier to whip the back end around with a stick.  And it is much easier to get in trouble in a corner with a wheel due to bad driving technique.  But once you correct that, you will find that you can take corners a lot faster.  

So, you can do okay with a stick (or a d-pad).  But if you are in this for the long haul and have the money and the space, you should definitely get a wheel.

Photobucket
Message 46 of 47 (236 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Oct 8, 2012

About the only advantage a pad gives you would be easily removed if PD would implement variably steering geometry. There are a FEW cars in GT5 that don't work on a 900 degrees rotation model, but unlike several other racing games, they do not implement the variable stops that prevent the wheel from being rotated past the set limit, so it's of dubious value. But for drifting in particular, and cars that the back end steps out a lot and you want swift counter-steering, having to have rotation fixed at 900 degrees is a distinct disadvantage over the much faster response of the pad.

Even the much maligned Shift series, if you set the wheel to 360 degrees (at least on my DFGT), or 450, or whatever you felt comfortable with, stops engaged and prevented the wheel from rotating past that point. So obviously the code exists to do this (and easily, apparently, if even EA/SMS can achieve it!).

Why this is not available as an upgrade is beyond me (as are most of PD's headscratchers!). If you can replace the suspension in a car, bolt on turbos or superchargers, change out the LSD, driveshafts and many other parts (some of which are fairly inconsequential), why not the ability to drop in a custom steering rack?

I have a feeling that some of the pad users might take a second look at a wheel controller if rotation could be made variable...

Message 47 of 47 (206 Views)
0 Likes