Oct 30 2012
By: Destinkeys Uncharted Territory 1712 posts

Wheel use and reverse gear

32 replies 329 views Edited Oct 30, 2012

Is there any particular reason that the button that you have to select for reverse gear can't simply select the gear, and then the pedal for throttle control it? \\I have the hardest time backing out of stuck situation in a hurry in a race, as the button seems to put all the horses down in a hurry and the wheel just spins like crazy!

Did anyone ever give an explanation from PD as to why this is the way it is?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 33 (329 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1033 posts

Re: Wheel use and reverse gear

Oct 30, 2012
I had noticed / wondered about that myself especially after playing certain other games and also since I acquired a wheel. I think it's to do with the way PD has coded sequential shifting in GT5 Vs. other games:

GT5
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8

iRacing / Race 07
R - N - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6

Where R = Revers and N = Neutral, I think those other games in the example also have cars with more than 6 forward gears but I haven't used them personally.

In GT5 the only time I've found Reverse as an actual gear is using the H-pattern shifter (with or without clutch), so it's definitely selectable as a gear. Not sure why PD didn't code it into the other shifting options though.
Photobucket

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"
"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.. "
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 33 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Record Breaker
8301 posts

Oct 30, 2012

i've heard that reverse in GT5 is merely 1st gear backwards

so you may have more success by manipulating the 1st gear to be longer, especially since 1st gear is useless (causes nothing but wheelspin) on cars with much power at all and then the remaining gears are what you are in for the entire track except for the starts.

manipulating the 1st gear to get better launches is one of the things I do in organized races to make sure I don't spin but also get a good launch.  these are races where a tiny bit of tire wear could decide the race, so even that one time gonig red can hurt you.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna (FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only)
GT Saturdays Event Thread
Ex's Racing VideosSupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 33 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3529 posts

Oct 30, 2012

I'm assuming you have a wheel but not a gated shifter, you have a squencial shifter?

Have you tried pressing the Start button to let the game help try and get you back on track?  Or once you start getting loose hurry and press the Start button and let the game quickly straighten you out before you start spinning too much?

photo PSForumSigPic1_zps15f972f0.png
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 33 (296 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2171 posts

Oct 30, 2012

I guess it's just the way PD has set up reverse in this game. I have reverse mapped to the square button on my DFGT. I rarely have to use it in a race but if I do I have no problem holding the square button down and steering the car to get back on the track. I think it would be cool if a H shifter wheel had a reverse gear like cars do. Does the G27 or another H shifter do this? Just wondering..

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 33 (289 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3529 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 30, 2012

Yes, I have the G25 wheel.  The G27 as well has a 6 speed gated shifter with seperate reverse gear.  So when you put the shifter in reverse, you still have full throttle control just like the forward gears.  That's the benefit of having an actual gated (H-pattern) shifter over just a up and down sequencial shifter or the controller.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 33 (287 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2171 posts

Oct 30, 2012

That's some sick info there. I've been wanting a G27 for awhile just haven't gotten around to getting one.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 33 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3529 posts

Oct 30, 2012

You should check out some YouTube videos, just do a search on Logitech G27 if you haven't already, you'll want one even more.

Logitech's website sells them for 300 bucks, but Amazon.com currently has it for $210.  I'm hoping the price will drop a little more due to holiday sales, I plan on buying it.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 33 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Record Breaker
956 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 30, 2012

With the paddle shifter, I guess it is like driving one of those WRC rally cars (when paddle shifter was still allowed), there is no reverse gear from the paddle shifter.  I remember Peta Solberg had to reach down the turn a switch on the centre console in the rally car in order to back up.  (It was as if the designer was telling the race driver:  "You are supposed to point the front of the car to where you want to go, so this feature for reversing is only an add-on, for emergency use only."  :smileyvery-happy:

On my G27, I set the top button above the gate-shifter as reverse when I raced with the paddle shifter.  It was not hard to get accustom to the configuration.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 33 (275 Views)
Fender Bender
3529 posts

Oct 30, 2012

I think the triangle button by default is reverse, so when I drive cars in the game that are meant to be driven via paddle shifters I do as well and then use that button to reverse.  If and when I get a G27 I'll assign reverse to a button on the wheel as I'll have more than I currently do with my G25.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 33 (271 Views)
0 Likes