Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Re: Or one of the default colours of the car could be used, s...

Oct 24, 2012

Would there be a problem with custom skins if they didn't EXACTLY match the dimensions of the original car..? For instance, fender flares, little front downforce planes, stuff like that. I imagine collision detection is based around a set of data that refers to the GT5 version of the car. We might find ourselves in a situation where parts of cars could drive through other cars...!

Message 261 of 509 (413 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4670 posts

Oct 24, 2012

We already do.....

The Top Gear Test Track_4.jpg

Message 262 of 509 (402 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1034 posts

Oct 24, 2012

Destinkeys wrote:

Would there be a problem with custom skins if they didn't EXACTLY match the dimensions of the original car..? For instance, fender flares, little front downforce planes, stuff like that. I imagine collision detection is based around a set of data that refers to the GT5 version of the car. We might find ourselves in a situation where parts of cars could drive through other cars...!

Custom skins don't work like that, basically a custom skin is nothing more than an image that that is layed onto the 3D model, they don't affect on the size or shape of a car at all.  That's all built into the 3D model which is not something we'd have control of, the skin just applies the outer coating that makes it look pretty.

If the skin is the wrong shape / size for the 3D model is being put on then the worst that can happen is it'll look funny, like if you try and wear pants that are too short, the image just rides up and looks silly.

When it comes to actually creating a skin there are plenty of console games that already have the tools to make them, though the ones I've played only allow you to share the painted car with the skin applied rather than the skin itself (though I do think you can then edit the car and save the skin locally and reuse it).

So PD would either have to include those tools within GT6 (like other games do) or provide us with generic template files that can be edited on a PC and then imported to the game via USB stick or uploading to our accounts on an official website to be downloaded in-game.

Photobucket

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"
"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.. "
Message 263 of 509 (401 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Oct 25, 2012

So essentially, you are talking more about a livery editor?

If the skin can't add visual detail outside of the basic skin, what's the difference?

Message 264 of 509 (389 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1034 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 25, 2012

Destinkeys wrote:

So essentially, you are talking more about a livery editor?

If the skin can't add visual detail outside of the basic skin, what's the difference?

Yes essentially it's the same thing, I guess just a difference in terminology because on a console you have the programme built into the game that allows you to "draw" directly onto the 3D model (i.e. a livery editor).  However on PC for the most part you have a 2D skin file that is edited using an external graphics programme, such as Photoshop, then saved in the appropriate file format / location for the game to find and wrap around the 3D model.

Photobucket

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"
"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.. "
Message 265 of 509 (382 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1131 posts

Oct 26, 2012

How about a cumulative total of all trophies earned, i.e., A & B Spec, Online, Seasonal, etc.  Would be interesting to display "ALL" of the trophies we earned in GT6.  Not a biggie but just an idea.  If this has already been posted I apologize and will put myself in the penalty box.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.
Message 266 of 509 (368 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Oct 31, 2012

How about throttle control of reverse gear, no matter how you select it?

Message 267 of 509 (300 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3264 posts

Nov 9, 2012

Probably wont happen, but It would be nice if GT5 DLC could get imported and played in GT6

Message 268 of 509 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2967 posts

Nov 9, 2012

Tease3211 wrote:

Probably wont happen, but It would be nice if GT5 DLC could get imported and played in GT6

I would not be at all surprised to see the GT5 DLC included as part of GT6.

Message 269 of 509 (225 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Re: What do you want to see in Gran turismo 6?

Nov 9, 2012

buddyfreakind wrote:

If they do make one, they'ld have to put in some sort of fail safe so you wouldn't feel the g-forces when you crashed.  That would not be so fun.

that's what I meant with the quote.   That guy was a seriously smart guy, read all his books/letters, funny too.    Just that eventually it will be possible to have a gaming system that will trick the senses into thinking it's real.   

We can levitate a frog.  In a big enough chamber and manipulating the field it could be possible to create a full out g-force simulator but it'ld have to be massive and use huge amounts of energy. 

Or, figure out how to make the matrix or holo decks, that would be cool, creepy, but cool.

I like to think that the speed of light isn't a true speed limit as speed is relative.  I think last year they went faster then it at CERN with a helium atom?  Not sure on that, would have to look it up again, just remember reading something on physorg.  I know a couple weeks ago there was an article on space.com from some science journal.  Einstein faster than light travel link, worth a read.  

lol it had been awhile and I didn't realize this physics discussion continued Smiley Very Happy

CERn scientiests beamed a particle known as a neutrino through the crust of the earth to a distant fascility and the two compared the times it took for it to travel, and they concurred that it was slightly faster than should have been possible if going as fast as light.  but that experiment has not been duplicated and the world has yet to decide on whether that particle actually went faster than light or it was some sort of nuance to how it was measured.  we will know within a year or so whether others can duplicate the experiment.

However, light is not relative and I thought if you read lots of Einy, you'd know that !   No matter what speed you are travelling, the fastest light particles you will perceive are travelling at the speed of light.  Therefore, no matter what you do you cannot perceive anything to travel faster than light.

Not only that, but more of Einy's General Relativity (mass, energy, gravity etc.) talks about how mathematically it is impossible to accelerate to the speed of light because each increment of getting yourself closer actually costs more and more energy, all the while your mass is increasing and your size decreasing.

If you were actually to accelerate to the speed of light, it would cost infinite energy (which there isn't) you would be infinitely massive (which you cannot be) and inifinitely small all at the same time.

However, the LHC @ CERN and other particle accelerators can push sub-atomic particles to a point very close to the speed of light, something like .99999 of c.  They are able to do this because they expend gigantic amoutns of energy to do so, and because they are only doing a handful of particles at a time.  But even then, to make an electron or proton actually achieve the speed of light, would still require infinite energy, which the unvierse doesn't even have... let alone make available for any of us.

However that does not mean that you can't travel to a destination faster than light can, so long as you do not violate the laws of relativity in your local space.  Manipulating space itself will be the future of interstellar travel.  In fact, we will never make it to another star system without it.

There have been some fascinating articles lately about a working model for how we might distort space one day to make a "Warp Drive" which actually turns out to be very similar to the vision in Star Trek.  The most recent articles have talkd about how the particular shape of the warp field if optimized, would use a lot less "exotic matter" to power it... but we dont' even know what that "exotic matter" is yet...

These are indeed, exciting times!

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 270 of 509 (223 Views)
0 Likes