Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Re: Wanna race?

Jul 18, 2012

dmcallis wrote:

But it is all too often that the text says something which is either wrong, or is really not applied...

How do you know what to trust or not?  I mean if they seem to REFUSE to do something as simple as add the word "NOT" to one of the online race options, they give the impression of not caring whether what anything says is accurate...

Sad, but very true.

LOVE the game, but it is annoying sometimes.

Hmmm... This sounds VERY familiar for some strange reason. Smiley Very Happy

On the shuffles...

LGD's use of the shuffle is close in results to the experiments I have done.

In any time I've done shuffles with a few people in tests, moving the ratio skews the cars given for at least a few rounds before it settles down. Dr. No ( no_affiliations) got me started on the low ratio and lower PP set and he was right. Rechecking a few times has shown 0 or 1 worked out the best, and as much as I dislike slower cars, the best racing seems to come with lower PP ratings. The car variety seems very limited around 380 and things get odd from there to around 420. Higher PP numbers can really skew the cars with regard to tires among other things, and moving things around made for two or three races where the finish order didn't seem to matter. 

A high shuffle ratio actually hurt the back markers more than helping them, often giving them cars ill suited for any given track even though they "looked good on paper".

Another oddity is how the game views a "good" car. It takes absolutely nothing into consideration about the track or location. Giving a high powered "fast" car on a little bullring is a disadvantage, yet it will consistently give such cars to back of the pack drivers no matter what kind of course you're running. Lower PP ratings tended to negate this effect, and the lower shuffle ratio kept the car pool a bit more confined.

I want to try running at 2 to see if it still holds as my next round of experiments with a PP of 350-360 and see what happens over 10 races, and then go to a PP of 380 and then 400 and 420 and do the same to see how the game judges what are considered "good" cars or bad. 

So far, what I've read and tested, best bet is to settle on a PP, set at 0 or 1 and go for awhile and then only change the PP slider and then go for awhile... And do that only if you have to because you or your group is really bored.

Other than that, pick a group of cars from the drop menu and run no tune races or only allow recommended garage picks with alternate tire selections. 

Thanks Lil' Guard Dog for your insights, they helped fill in a few gaps in my findings and corroborated what I had so far.

Photobucket
Message 81 of 324 (716 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
145 posts

Jul 18, 2012
looking at the scroll, i noted that shuffle ratio is described as determining the change in car stats based on the results of a single race.. the phrasing of this in game suggested to me that there is also a medium-term win counter (presumably, win/loss ratio <or # of wins?> in lounge...??), which may be more heavily weighted than the S.R.... upshot being, it may be good/necessary to abandon and restart rooms periodically when testing shuffle. curious to see if this has any effect, or if i'm reading to much into a poor translation.
Message 82 of 324 (709 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3789 posts

Jul 18, 2012

I'll be in my room most of the day if anyone wants to join me.  Shuffle races sounds good if anyone is interrested in testing this but otherwise I'll be racing myself just to put miles on a couple of cars.

I assume we'll have new seasonals with the silvia and this one DOES break-in...

Message 83 of 324 (708 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3789 posts

Jul 18, 2012

Well, that isn't going to work.  Racing alone in the lounge doesn't appear to add miles to the car. 

If anyone is interrested in getting together, msg me and I'll see about joining you.  Otherwise I'll be in the Practice section, I guess...

Anyone interrested in my Daytime Drive by the way?

Message 84 of 324 (703 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Jul 18, 2012

dmcallis wrote:

I'll be in my room most of the day if anyone wants to join me.  Shuffle races sounds good if anyone is interrested in testing this but otherwise I'll be racing myself just to put miles on a couple of cars.

Just got my PS3 set up in the new system DMZ, I'm going through the testing and accounts now. If you would be able to assist, I could use some company in my lounge testing the connection speeds etc. It looks like it's allocated 30mgb down and 5mgb upload for the DMZ PS3 to use. VERY curious as to how this changes performance, and whether some of my previous issues with MIC and lag are now a distant memory. Also want to play with the settings to see if I can use some of the higher detail settings or carry a room for slower connections.

Would be happy to test some shuffle theories using generated tracks, map set fixed to car @ 4 and do some fun rally "who knows where the heck we're going" type races just for giggles. The old style graphics on generated tracks should really push the graphics and connection limits and give me a solid idea of what I've really got to work with vs what the numbers say I've got to work with.

I should be in Area 52 shortly, DZ land later on today. Have had Dr's last 2 days, so I won't be much competition, so low and slow sounds like it would be right up my alley today if you're game to play test bunny... 

Same goes for you there Dr. No, You have the address for Area 52, so once I'm there after a pit stop and a quick game save to USB for backup you're more than welcome to join in and kick mighty buttockal region in some 300-400 PP cars. I'm thinking 340 or so to start, which I know you like. Having the extra person will only help me get an accurate assessment of the new interweb capability, or lack there of...

And yeah dm, I'd fully expect a Sylvia seasoned event. Though I have no idea what Sylvia tastes like. I guess it depends on whether it's burnt or gone bad. I was going to say she, but that would really alter the flavor of the post too much so I thought it best not to go there...

Photobucket
Message 85 of 324 (699 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3789 posts

Jul 18, 2012

Started hurting again so I'm going to rest a bit.  I'll plan to find you after lunch if that's ok.

Message 86 of 324 (690 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3040 posts

Jul 18, 2012

Dan_Zitions wrote:

dmcallis wrote:

Just got my PS3 set up in the new system DMZ, I'm going through the testing and accounts now. If you would be able to assist, I could use some company in my lounge testing the connection speeds etc. It looks like it's allocated 30mgb down and 5mgb upload for the DMZ PS3 to use. VERY curious as to how this changes performance, and whether some of my previous issues with MIC and lag are now a distant memory. Also want to play with the settings to see if I can use some of the higher detail settings or carry a room for slower connections.

Would be happy to test some shuffle theories using generated tracks, map set fixed to car @ 4 and do some fun rally "who knows where the heck we're going" type races just for giggles. The old style graphics on generated tracks should really push the graphics and connection limits and give me a solid idea of what I've really got to work with vs what the numbers say I've got to work with.

I should be in Area 52 shortly, DZ land later on today. Have had Dr's last 2 days, so I won't be much competition, so low and slow sounds like it would be right up my alley today if you're game to play test bunny... 

Same goes for you there Dr. No, You have the address for Area 52, so once I'm there after a pit stop and a quick game save to USB for backup you're more than welcome to join in and kick mighty buttockal region in some 300-400 PP cars. I'm thinking 340 or so to start, which I know you like. Having the extra person will only help me get an accurate assessment of the new interweb capability, or lack there of...

And yeah dm, I'd fully expect a Sylvia seasoned event. Though I have no idea what Sylvia tastes like. I guess it depends on whether it's burnt or gone bad. I was going to say she, but that would really alter the flavor of the post too much so I thought it best not to go there...

Hey, D_Z, your room still up? I'll send you a FR in a minute either way.

Dirty_Harry44
Message 87 of 324 (682 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Jul 19, 2012
Just letting everybody know I'll be in my lounge tonight around 8 Smiley Wink
 photo CIMG1810_zpse1fd5a4d.jpg
Message 88 of 324 (660 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Jul 22, 2012
If anybody wants to get a race going tonight, I'll be able to race around 9pm eastern time. I'll join whoever or I can host, just let me know if anybody is interested Smiley Wink
 photo CIMG1810_zpse1fd5a4d.jpg
Message 89 of 324 (642 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3789 posts

Jul 23, 2012
I'll join you. My wife is unexpectedly away tonight, so I have the TV. Smiley Happy
Message 90 of 324 (632 Views)
0 Likes