Treasure Hunter
6687 posts

Re: Wanna race?

Jul 3, 2012

zeedesertrat wrote:

MasterGT, sounds like a great idea.  I am reluctant to join the elite racing clubs/races because I am not that good at racing, bottom of my friends list.   I have seen video's of some of the good racers and there is no way I am in your/their league.   I just don't want to make a fool of myself or wreck any of the good racers.   If this were implemented I would certainly give it a go.  Thanks...

I think that is a common misconception or misunderstanding. While there certainly are some top-level racers in many of the Leagues that I am associated with or have run with, there are far more average racers. I don't consider myself as a fast racer by any means. Sometimes I do well, other times I really struggle. I feel that the main thing is to get out and participate in some form, even if it is just joining a practice room as Forgetful suggested. While there are certainly different levels of competitiveness, by far the majority of racers want you and them to have fun. No racers that I race with get all mad if there is some incident, especially if it is obvious that the incident was unintentional. I think that all of us should try harder to get together for some kind of on-track interaction. Discussing all the aspects of this game is fun. Sharing the track is  much more fun, and great in many ways. It is whay we all share the passion for Gran Turismo.

photo Can-AmRacingFerrari350SWERVSig3_zps05defb05.jpg
Message 11 of 324 (834 Views)
Umbrella Scientist
12271 posts

Jul 3, 2012

SWERV_GRIFFIN wrote:

zeedesertrat wrote:

MasterGT, sounds like a great idea.  I am reluctant to join the elite racing clubs/races because I am not that good at racing, bottom of my friends list.   I have seen video's of some of the good racers and there is no way I am in your/their league.   I just don't want to make a fool of myself or wreck any of the good racers.   If this were implemented I would certainly give it a go.  Thanks...

I think that is a common misconception or misunderstanding. While there certainly are some top-level racers in many of the Leagues that I am associated with or have run with, there are far more average racers. I don't consider myself as a fast racer by any means. Sometimes I do well, other times I really struggle. I feel that the main thing is to get out and participate in some form, even if it is just joining a practice room as Forgetful suggested. While there are certainly different levels of competitiveness, by far the majority of racers want you and them to have fun. No racers that I race with get all mad if there is some incident, especially if it is obvious that the incident was unintentional. I think that all of us should try harder to get together for some kind of on-track interaction. Discussing all the aspects of this game is fun. Sharing the track is  much more fun, and great in many ways. It is whay we all share the passion for Gran Turismo.

Indeed. While our race videos tend to highlight the close pack racing, that's not to say that there aren't races that get spread out. Those turn in to what I like to call 'clock fights', where you start fighting the gaps to the cars around you. Some of my best driving happens when I'm out of touch with other cars.

There are a lot of our races where one or more cars get lapped, and if we can get more drivers out, even if they aren't top level drivers, then it will be more likely that there will be someone at or near a similar pace, and more likely that they'll get in to a close race. There's nothing on the line, so no one really cares who won. I'm always happy if I drive well, even if most of the time is spent alone, and I'm thrilled if I get to run in a tight race the whole time. 

You'd be incredibly surprised what improvements you can make while competing. You'll tend to learn more racing than you will trying to learn enough on your own to be able to race well. I can remember a spell during the Prologue era when I would consistently see personal best lap times in races. Try as I might to run that fast alone, it wasn't until I got deep in to the zone that I would be able to reel off those laps.

DriverSports.org
Message 12 of 324 (818 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44637 posts

Jul 3, 2012

zeedesertrat wrote:

If you want to improve your driving, you really need to race with better drivers. If at all possible, try to get out to the Saturday afternoon races. They are there for people just like you. Most groups that I have seen start racing here will take in anyone willing to drive fairly and be mature. That's about all it takes.

Don't underestimate your ability to improve. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 324 (816 Views)
MVP Support
44637 posts

Jul 3, 2012

The more GT drivers who participate, at any level, the more fun will be had by all

This afternoon, I had three other drivers join me. It would have been nice to have a few more, but we worked with each other. One picked a car and I followed with a similar car. Another driver, from another forum, joined in and he picked a related car. We practiced and got everyone up to speed and ended up having a few races. They were close, but I hadn't either raced with one before or hadn't raced with the other one for a long time.

Good times.

That;s the way this kind of thread works.

Message 14 of 324 (812 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
6687 posts

Jul 3, 2012

MastrGT wrote:

The more GT drivers who participate, at any level, the more fun will be had by all

This afternoon, I had three other drivers join me. It would have been nice to have a few more, but we worked with each other. One picked a car and I followed with a similar car. Another driver, from another forum, joined in and he picked a related car. We practiced and got everyone up to speed and ended up having a few races. They were close, but I hadn't either raced with one before or hadn't raced with the other one for a long time.

Good times.

That;s the way this kind of thread works.

I would have been there, unfortunately we got put back on 10 hour days this week, so it was 8:45 PM (your time) before I even got home. There's always next time.

Message 15 of 324 (805 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44637 posts

Jul 3, 2012

And that is the whole point.

Today was a national holiday here and I had a few hours for which I could get on-line. It was not an opportune time for most people to get on-line, but I took my chances and I was glad I did.

Message 16 of 324 (801 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3689 posts

Jul 3, 2012
MastrGT:

I found it interresting and a little amusing that when I joined you we were both in Renaults.. You in the Clio and me in the Megane.
Is it a little scary we apparently think alike a bit? lol
I'll watch here for when I can join you in the future. I enjoyed it.
Message 17 of 324 (800 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Jul 3, 2012
Example: I just finished watching a movie, and have about enough time for a race. It's kinda last minute, but that's how it goes with me, the only day I can say for sure is Thursday nights Smiley Happy
 photo CIMG1810_zpse1fd5a4d.jpg
Message 18 of 324 (796 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6687 posts

Jul 3, 2012

MastrGT wrote:

And that is the whole point.

Today was a national holiday here and I had a few hours for which I could get on-line. It was not an opportune time for most people to get on-line, but I took my chances and I was glad I did.

I believe, like many others, that is the reason that this thread should stay in this section of the Forum. There has been an increasing amount of effort put into organizing even more racing, as of lately. Sadly I have so far been unavailable for any of it. My point is that there will be a greater degree of success as we move forward with it all.There has always been some organized events taking place, and now new organizers are stepping forward as well. I cannot put into words how happy that I am to see this happening. Stuff like this is exactly why so many of us have stuck by the Forum through thick and thin. I am glad that we weathered the storms. Nothing good in life comes without a trial or two, and maybe even a little heartache.

Message 19 of 324 (789 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1131 posts

Jul 3, 2012

Thanks to everyone for the positive and inspirational comments to my post.  I live in Southern California and work nights.  I consider myself to be a clean racer and slightly below average driver.  I have a PS3, driving wheel and a mic.  I am level 40 in A & B Spec, have all of the cars but most are stock since I don't know much about setups.  Got Gold in all of the GT Academy test except 7/8 which proved to be difficult, especially the last race test.  My PSN is:  scorpioxlt and I am very interested in joining the Wanna race deal.  How do I get started and know when the races and other information will be posted?  Do I send Friend Request?  Appreciate any information/help you can provide since this is my first venture into what I think is Professional Racing with some of the best racers in GT5.  Apologize if I am being a pest but appreciate any guidance you provide.  Thanks again to everyone, I am getting excited.    PSN scorpioxlt

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.
Message 20 of 324 (771 Views)
0 Likes