Highlighted
Jul 02 2012
By: MastrGT MVP Support 43254 posts

Wanna race?

[ Edited ]
260 replies 1300 views Edited Aug 9, 2012

Wanna race?

If you want to just go on-line and do some good, casual racing with forum friends, please "float" this thread, so that you can find it quickly.

This is the place to quickly find someone to race with when your baby finally fell asleep and you have a need to get a few races in before s/he wakes up, or you come home from school early and you have no homework tonight. Maybe the old battleaxe took your wife out shopping for an hour, or you can only race on-line when most others are asleep, or you need to test a new setting with someone. Anything more frequent or organised than these scenarios, then please post in GT Events.

(If you have even a whiff of a schedule, as anything hosted by a league would have, or if you push these boundaries in any way, then use the GT Events sub-forum to do your business there.) 

Announce what you are doing, any restrictions, and the time range that you will be available, and go have some good fun.

Message 1 of 261 (1,300 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3313 posts

Re: Wanna race?

Jul 2, 2012

I'm of the mind that Both may be the answer.  Have a thread just like this one (good title for it) here in general for "Hey, right now, or very soon" type pickup race invites and the other area can be for more scheduled type events.  I know I come here before the other area...

Just one opinion though. 

(I may post here using this thread for this very purpose, in fact.)

Message 2 of 261 (1,292 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3909 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 2, 2012

MastrGT wrote:

I have a question for those who want quick, simple pick up GT races.

Should a "Wanna race?" thread be in the main GT forum or the Events sub?

If there are points, standings, qualifying, regular attendances and other similar conditions etc. etc., it should be in the Events section.

In this section winning is what matters the most.

If it's just hey "wanna race", show up if you feel like it for some casual, clean racing fun, then it should be in the main GT forum.  I think those who want to join in, or who are new to online and want to give it a try are more likely to see it there, and less chance of being intimidated by thinking they have to straight away commit to an event.

In this section participation is what matters the most.

Message 3 of 261 (1,287 Views)
Gaming Beast
2333 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 2, 2012

I like the idea. What would be really cool is if there was some way to have an indicator that shows the online presence (or lack thereof) of forum participants (optional of course) even as far as providing room numbers so we don't have to scratch our heads to try to find them.. I go online sometimes, but most of the time I just "stand" in open lobby wondering what sort of mess I'll get into if I pick "Room Z" and then duck back under cover to the relative safety of redoing (ad nauseum) the various seasonals or my own custom courses...

If I knew there were forum members around  I'd be far more inclined to join a room.

I think it's a great idea, with or without my meanderings. Wish I had been tuned in when you made the announcement. I actually had time this afternoon and would enjoy learning how things work in these situations so I'm less apprehensive about participating. I'll have to keep a closer eye in the future.

- There's a distinct difference between slow & deliberate and deliberately slow -
Message 4 of 261 (1,268 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
43254 posts

Jul 2, 2012

I'm still on-line, but I'm not sure for how much longer.

There is a bit of room on my friends list.

Message 5 of 261 (1,263 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3313 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 2, 2012

anjen:

In GT Life (the main GT screen) if you go to Community then to the Globe icon (at the top of the list of your friends after the A and B. 

This will sort your list and will show which friends are online with a green light at the top of the list. 

Clicking on a name will show their lobby (among other options like mail, etc) and if that friend is in any lobby, be it their own or not, there will be a golden icon at their Lobby graphic. 

Clicking on the yellow icon will give he option to join the same room that friend is in.

This is assuming you are friends with people.  Smiley Happy  If not get those FRs sent out...

Message 6 of 261 (1,257 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12271 posts

Jul 2, 2012
While pickup races are of no real interest to me, we do spend a lot of time testing and tuning. Running up to four different series per week in regularly scheduled events requires a fair amount of prep.

To make things easier we setup the PSN ID Driversports, and we use its lounge as a common practice room.

Feel free to join us anytime, you'll need to send a friends request first. We're usually I'm there in the evenings on race days.
DriverSports.org
Message 7 of 261 (1,249 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Jul 2, 2012
Im going to bookmark this page as I will use it from time to time, when I have a random time I can race Smiley Happy
 photo CIMG1810_zpse1fd5a4d.jpg
Message 8 of 261 (1,243 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1131 posts

Jul 3, 2012

MasterGT, sounds like a great idea.  I am reluctant to join the elite racing clubs/races because I am not that good at racing, bottom of my friends list.   I have seen video's of some of the good racers and there is no way I am in your/their league.   I just don't want to make a fool of myself or wreck any of the good racers.   If this were implemented I would certainly give it a go.  Thanks...

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.
Message 9 of 261 (1,221 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4743 posts

Jul 3, 2012

I agree with the others MastrGT. This is a really good idea. I think it should stay here for more exposure. I keep forgetting that the Events section is even there.

I have "Floated This Topic To The Top" for easy access. ThumbsUp.gif

Race how you expect to be raced.
There's no need to attend every argument you're invited to...
 photo GT6-GlassSig.png
~~~ SupaTunaGT ~~~

Message 10 of 261 (1,200 Views)
0 Likes