Ambassador

Metropolitan

Gremlin

Eagle

Hudson Hornet

Pacer

Javelin

AMX

... Thats just a few examples of great names from a forgotten but mighty company. Names Id like to proudly race along side the best GT5 can bring and I'm sure I'm not alone so WHY NOT AMC?

PLEASE MAKE YOUR VOICES HEARD AMC FANS... DONT LET THE 97 Eagle Talon BE THE CLOSEST OFFERING AND REPRESENTATION... Its not even the tsi d@mn it.

Message 1 of 19 (956 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44796 posts

Re: WHY NOT AMC?

Jul 11, 2012

Welcome to the GT forum, SKY_PILOT_1!

The short answer about defunct brands is we don't know yet. This is one question that I hope to clear up some time this year, but I don't expect an answer any time soon.

However, in the meantime, find the stickied Essential Car list and make a proper nomination for a few of your most desired models.

Message 2 of 19 (936 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28996 posts

Jul 11, 2012

SKY_PILOT_1 wrote:

Marlin

The Rebel Machine

SC/Rambler

Matador

Ambassador

Metropolitan

Gremlin

Eagle

Hudson Hornet

Pacer

Javelin

AMX

... Thats just a few examples of great names from a forgotten but mighty company. Names Id like to proudly race along side the best GT5 can bring and I'm sure I'm not alone so WHY NOT AMC?

PLEASE MAKE YOUR VOICES HEARD AMC FANS... DONT LET THE 97 Eagle Talon BE THE CLOSEST OFFERING AND REPRESENTATION... Its not even the tsi d@mn it.

I remember a lot of those cars, and they weren't all that great to begin with. There was no way you could be cool in a Gremlin or a Pacer. I think AMC might be best left to the pages of history. 

Message 3 of 19 (910 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44796 posts

Jul 12, 2012

Maybe more than half of the cars in a GT version couldn't be classified as good or great cars.

Many Gremlins were made into silk purses, in real life, and GT has had its fair share of ugly cars.

Message 4 of 19 (902 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28996 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 12, 2012

MastrGT wrote:

Maybe more than half of the cars in a GT version couldn't be classified as good or great cars.

Many Gremlins were made into silk purses, in real life, and GT has had its fair share of ugly cars.

Some ugly cars can be cool. Sounds weird, I know. Take the Audi 100 LS

Audi 100 LS

Not really a "handsome" car, but still it has a cool factor about it. 

But there's a reason why the American Motors Corporation isn't around anymore, and what's left was folded into Chrysler.  I've said for a while that some of these cars are partly the reason the US auto earned the reputation for building, in no uncertain terms, junk around the world.  And  you gotta love any car that can do this. 

Message 5 of 19 (893 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Jul 12, 2012

There were many a cool AMC back in the day... True they did regress into the same mold as most US automakers in the mid 70's into the early 80's, but even then they had their aces.

The Rebel Sedan was a very nice shoebox indeed.

The Hurst 390 Scrambler made quite a name for itself.

The 70 Matador was campaigned by Phil Donahue hisself in NASCAR, looked better than many of the other cars on the track.

The Javelin wrote the Trans Am book, and was a well respected and revered Muscle car in it's day.

The Marlin was an exceptionally beautiful car, and was pretty quick to boot.

Hornets and Gremlins became Drag Strip terrors as well as Modifieds on dirt tracks all over the NE. The Gremlin was 20 years ahead of it's time, a peek at the thousands of hatchbacks we've seen since. The Hornet a few years ahead too, leading to many companies developing the "mid sized sedan" that became a dominant market. Today you can hardly find a full size car of the dimensions of the LTD's, Fury's and Caprices of the day.

Then there was the Pacer... The Glass Tank. Definitely one of the ugliest cars I've seen, but you couldn't kill it. I was in one that got run over by a 69 Mack Rig, the front wheel of the truck went up and over the driver's side corner. The fender and hood buckled slightly and we drove away... It was butt ugly though.

AMC was 20 years ahead of it's time, as the Eagle wagon AWD with the Quadra-Trac system adapted from Jeep was precursor to every cross over vehicle made today. They were dang near bullet proof too. They just didn't want to die.

Chrysler bought AMC for Jeep, and turned the AMC car line into the short lived "Eagle" brand, which then became rebadged and smog fixed imported Renaults. AMC had started the trend with the Alliance.

Chrysler took what it got from the last Eagle/Renault sedan and turned it into the design for the "new" Intrepid, Eagle started becoming rebadged Mitsubishi's, which Chrysler had an already established partnership with. It wasn't long before the Eagle was a Dodge was a Plymouth and was no longer needed, Jeep gave the needed income boost till the early 90's and the rest is history.

As Chrysler still owns the brand, it's simply a matter of PD asking to use it, or paying the licensing for it. If it's the same in the game world as it is in the scale model world, Chrysler was the Porsche of the US, charging nearly double the royalties of GM and Ford to use their name and likeness in model kits and related parts and decals. It's the reason there aren't scale models of many Chrysler products other than those made long ago or of the big name Muscle Cars until recently. They could get away with it because of the iconic history they had with the HEMI, the Superbirds and Daytonas and all things Muscle Car related. The Viper only made it worse, but by then everyone was screaming for more cash. The ownership changes have changed some of that, but I haven't been involved since Mercedes parted company, so I have no Idea if FIAT is more or less agreeable and sees this type of thing as advertising as opposed to profit margin.

As for the cars...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and AMC had some beauties indeed.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 19 (875 Views)
MVP Support
44796 posts

Jul 12, 2012

Thanks for the history recap, Dan.

Another thing is that AMC most certainly did not have a liplock on ugly, either.

Lots of manufacturers spread that love around.

I'll take any ugly AMC car along with their muscle cars, so long as they precede other pint-sized microboxes with 25 HP we've never heard of before.

Message 7 of 19 (866 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Jul 12, 2012

MastrGT wrote:

Thanks for the history recap, Dan.

Another thing is that AMC most certainly did not have a liplock on ugly, either.

Lots of manufacturers spread that love around.

I'll take any ugly AMC car along with their muscle cars, so long as they precede other pint-sized microboxes with 25 HP we've never heard of before.

I'll buy that for a dollar... Smiley Very Happy

Can't wait for the 6000 SUX to make it into the game.

There are quite a few ugly ducklings about, but I have a few of those that still manage to find a way to be pretty. I'm of the mind the more the merrier. Everyone has an ugly car they're sentimental about. For me, it's the 73 Chevy Vega, for my brother it's a similar vintage Ford Pinto. For my dad, it was a 56 Ford 4 door. All nothing to be writing home about, but all cars I'd have in my garage right now if they were in the game.

Photobucket
Message 8 of 19 (860 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2341 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 12, 2012

"I remember a lot of those cars, and they weren't all that great to begin with. There was no way you could be cool in a Gremlin or a Pacer. I think AMC might be best left to the pages of history. "

Apparently, you were never a teenager with a need for speed and somewhere to crash (or other things). I drove an AMC ambassador brougham (410ci) for several years. It was a great car, fast, although not purdy like many of the imports, and it had fold down front seats that made for a full-sized bed. I used to not even bother with taking a tent when we'd go camping. Just the car, food and beverages, a rain tarp for hangin out underneath, and my gf

And when I got my first SUV, an S-10 blazer, I wanted to chop off the front end of a Pacer, put a cowling against the firewall, install a bus window into the roof , gut the interior, and make it into a pull around mini-camper, but alas, most had long since been crushed and sent to China and they weren't really very easy to come by any more.

As to butt ugly, as others have noted, there were lots of butt ugly imports from every nation. I'd take a pacer any day over the garbage VW was spewing out for a while there during the 70s. (scirroccos and things and even bugs and beetles were very ugly cars)

- There's a distinct difference between slow & deliberate and deliberately slow -
Message 9 of 19 (841 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28996 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 12, 2012

anjen wrote:

"I remember a lot of those cars, and they weren't all that great to begin with. There was no way you could be cool in a Gremlin or a Pacer. I think AMC might be best left to the pages of history. "

Apparently, you were never a teenager with a need for speed and somewhere to crash (or other things). I drove an AMC ambassador brougham (410ci) for several years. It was a great car, fast, although not purdy like many of the imports, and it had fold down front seats that made for a full-sized bed. I used to not even bother with taking a tent when we'd go camping. Just the car, food and beverages, a rain tarp for hangin out underneath, and my gf

And when I got my first SUV, an S-10 blazer, I wanted to chop off the front end of a Pacer, put a cowling against the firewall, install a bus window into the roof , gut the interior, and make it into a pull around mini-camper, but alas, most had long since been crushed and sent to China and they weren't really very easy to come by any more.

As to butt ugly, as others have noted, there were lots of butt ugly imports from every nation. I'd take a pacer any day over the garbage VW was spewing out for a while there during the 70s. (scirroccos and things and even bugs and beetles were very ugly cars)

I would take the Scirocco, and in fact I did. Smiley Tongue Then again, I've always had a bias towards cars that actually worked, and wouldn't leave me stranded in the cold. 

Message 10 of 19 (834 Views)
0 Likes