Jul 15 2009
By: Buhnanah Fender Bender 4156 posts

Top 10 Drifters

20 replies 25 views Edited Jul 15, 2009
I was looking at people drifting.. the top 10 replays, and the way they get their points is so stupid. If you look at the person in 1st place, you'll see that no one drifts like that in real life.. They swerve (sp?) in such a way that makes their drift pointless. It's supposed to be realistic, and their drifts are not at all.. Shouldn't their points not count?
Message 1 of 21 (25 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8245 posts

Re: Top 10 Drifters

Jul 15, 2009

Top GT5P drifters drift ... in the manner that gets the most points.  What's the surprise here?

The factors that go into a high score are the problem, too much emphasis is on time spent instead of speed.

This is possibly because GT5P still measures speed on the axis of the car rather than the diredtion of travel.

Message 2 of 21 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5105 posts

Jul 15, 2009
They just want as much points as possible. I get where you're coming from, im not a big fan of drifting, not one at all, but their way of drifting is almost disrespectful and over-done to and in comparison to the sport. However like Clacksman said, its done within the constraints of the game and their style gets the most points, so they aren't doing anything wrong. However this is a forum and is made for some people like yourself to express their pleasure or displeasure in certain aspects of the game or series.

Ive even watched drifting a few times, more because i respect the build quality of some of the Japanese cars,(love the Viper but its not very motor tuned as it doesn't need it) and even i know that their way of drifting isn't true to life. Its like the Time trials though, some people will ride walls and do whatever it takes to get the fastest times, same thing with drifting, people will do whatever however silly it is.
Message 3 of 21 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4156 posts

Jul 16, 2009

clacksman wrote:

Top GT5P drifters drift ... in the manner that gets the most points.  What's the surprise here?

The factors that go into a high score are the problem, too much emphasis is on time spent instead of speed.

This is possibly because GT5P still measures speed on the axis of the car rather than the diredtion of travel.

Im not saying that they're "cheating", but what they're doing is way TOO fake. No one could do that in real life.

Message 4 of 21 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
597 posts

Jul 16, 2009

Yeah, there are different techniques for starting a drift.

That is actually one of them.

It's because you can't drop the clutch in GT5p, they're kind of forced to do it this way.

Message 5 of 21 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
440 posts

Jul 17, 2009
I'm not sure what u r trying to say. Are you taking about how they initiate the drift or how they drift the section? They are two different things. I don't recall anything that is done in the DT impossible or out of this world. Also, I don't think there are any sections in any DT where you swerve in a section to get more points. Swereving is necessary for momentum but it does not increase a score in a DT.
Message 6 of 21 (25 Views)
Fender Bender
4156 posts

Jul 17, 2009

daus26 wrote:
I'm not sure what u r trying to say. Are you taking about how they initiate the drift or how they drift the section? They are two different things. I don't recall anything that is done in the DT impossible or out of this world. Also, I don't think there are any sections in any DT where you swerve in a section to get more points. Swereving is necessary for momentum but it does not increase a score in a DT.
I was talking about the way they drift the section. They way that they start it, I get it. But look at the way they drift the sections with the Art Morrison on some of the tracks.

Message 7 of 21 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
440 posts

Jul 17, 2009

Buhnanah wrote:

daus26 wrote:
I was talking about the way they drift the section. They way that they start it, I get it. But look at the way they drift the sections with the Art Morrison on some of the tracks.

I see. You think you can tell or pm me of a specific track/car example I can watch? I'm really curious on what you are saying now.
Message 8 of 21 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4156 posts

Jul 17, 2009

daus26 wrote:

Buhnanah wrote:

daus26 wrote:

I see. You think you can tell or pm me of a specific track/car example I can watch? I'm really curious on what you are saying now.
My bad, I looked back at some videos, and I mean the way that they start the drift. The section drifts are pretty realistic. Some of the videos they start it normally, swerving from left to right. Others do this 90 degree turn thing, that cars in real life simply won't do.. It's kinda like they're cheating for points, cause the way they go into the turns in the beginning are kinda unrealistic.

Message 9 of 21 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
440 posts

Jul 18, 2009

Buhnanah wrote:

daus26 wrote:

Buhnanah wrote:

daus26 wrote:

My bad, I looked back at some videos, and I mean the way that they start the drift. The section drifts are pretty realistic. Some of the videos they start it normally, swerving from left to right. Others do this 90 degree turn thing, that cars in real life simply won't do.. It's kinda like they're cheating for points, cause the way they go into the turns in the beginning are kinda unrealistic.

Ok, so you are talking about initiating techniques. If so, why did you mention stuff about points? Regardless of how you start, one technique doesn't get more points that the other. Points starts calculating once the car passes the section flags.

I'm also not sure on what you mean by "90 degree turn thing". The last time I recall, I don't think I can turn my car 90 degrees and keep drifting smoothly in the game, nor have I seen a replay of one. With that said, I really want to see a specific track/car example in a DT where it demonstrates on what you are talking about in the beginning. Let me know which replay it is you're seeing.

*edit

From your OP, it looks like you've seen more than one of them replays, right?

Message Edited by daus26 on 07-18-2009 01:21 PM
Message 10 of 21 (25 Views)