Oct 16 2012
By: Lord_Beelzebub Fender Bender 3586 posts

Those of you with Logitech G27 racing wheels…

[ Edited ]
7 replies 724 views Edited Oct 16, 2012

I hope a mod will allow me to conduct this thread here even though it’s not 100% GT5 related. But if I were to buy one it would be used 99.9% of the time with GT games and I know some of you out here use this wheel with GT5 so I thought this the perfect place to ask.

I would like to ask those of you that have the G27 racing wheel how well you like it, what do you think of the build quality of it, have you experienced any hardware failures with it?

I currently have the G25 wheel and around 2 years ago while playing GT5, my shifter stopped working properly. While in the middle of racing online, all the odd gears (1,3,5) registered as 5th gear and the even gears (2,4,6) all registered as 6th. In my online research at the time I found out a lot of other people were having this issue. Long story short, it seemed a design flaw of using too small of gage wiring and the constant shifting, flexing of the wires back and forth, caused the wire(s) to snap in two from the connector.

This past weekend I had to solder the black wire yet again and I’m sure at some point in the future it will break again. It’s like taking a thin piece of metal and bending it in half one way, then bending it in half the other way over and over until the metal breaks. Shifting has the same effect with the tiny wires within the shifter housing as the wire flexes back and forth. The time before last I soldered a thicker gage wire to the connector then the original thin wire to the other side of the thick wire. Over this past weekend when the wire snapped again, the thicker wire didn’t snap away from the connector, it snapped at the point where the wire extends past the sheathing. That constant back and forth motion slowly made the wire weak till it snapped.

Needless to say there are only so many more times I can repair this issue before my shifter is RIP for good. The wheel works perfect, the pedals are perfect, it’s just this crappy shifter. I see people are selling just the G25 shifter on eBay, but I can’t help but think the reason they are is because they had the same problem, fixed it themselves, and are now wanting to get rid of it. I’ve fixed mine myself 4 times now and I know one day in the future it will break again so I’m not buying theirs.

I’ve explained this to my wife, she knows my frustration over this, and I have her blessing in buying another wheel as an “early Christmas present to myself”. However, I am leery about buying the G27 when it’s essentially the same shifter minus the sequential shifter feature. I don’t want to drop $200 bucks on a new wheel where I may very well have the same issue.

Thus this thread asking you all that have the G27 wheel, have you had any hardware problems with it, do you know of any known problems with it, would you recommend it? I’ve done online research and can’t find any definitive results of major flaws/defects with it. Are there any other wheels worthy of consideration that are also natively compatible with GT5? I’d love to have the Thrustmaster T500RS but that whole setup with their shifter is pretty expensive.

I really don’t know what to do and what any viable options are. If I could just buy a brand new G25 shifter I’d be happy with what I got. Like I said, other than the shifter everything else works perfect.

photo PSForumSigPic1_zps15f972f0.png
Message 1 of 8 (724 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1089 posts

Re: Those of you with Logitech G27 racing wheels…

Oct 16, 2012
Hey LB, I really suggest you take a look at insidesimracing.com on the wheel you want to get. The guys on there have done a couple of really good reviews on the wheel and its pedals set both with pros & con to consider before you buy. You will really like it so go check it out. Then when you decide you eant it go to Logitech site to purchase. You might justcatch a deal for first time buyers. Plus you will enjoy taking a look at Jessica on the site.
" A defeat is good for the character if you take it the right way."

Who said it?
Message 2 of 8 (715 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

Oct 16, 2012

I went from a DFGT to a G27 and it was the best move ever. The biggest difference from the G25 is the gears. Straight cut for the G25 and helicoil for the G27. Also adjustable peddals, bigger beaing, stronger motors, beefed up case. All in all a big improvment over the G25. Money well spent in my mind.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 8 (688 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1131 posts

Oct 16, 2012

I also switched from the DFGT to the G27 about a year ago and it has been completely reliable so far, knock on wood.  The G27 had a short learning curve for me and I am completely satisfied with it.  The Thrusrmaster T500rs (official GT5 wheel) is expensive, heavy and the paddle shifters are on the main housing, not on the wheel.  insidesimracing has a good review on all of the wheels.   Good luck and racing with which ever wheel you decide on.  Would be interesting to hear your take on the wheel you decide on.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.
Message 4 of 8 (665 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
866 posts

Oct 16, 2012

I literally wore my old DFGT out and purchased a G27 just over a year ago. I was fortunate to pick it up for $200 shipped. I was immediately impressed with the smoothness and precision. After 14 months of racing every day, I am still very pleased. I haven't had a single failure! Logitech has the best customer service in the industry, so if I do, I'm not worried.

I can see where you might miss the sequential shifter if you are intent on using the shifter. I use the paddles exclusively and love them. My only real quibble overall is brake feel. I wish the stock brakes had a stiffer spring with a progressing feel as I brake. I guess if it starts to bother me, I could either modify the brakes of go with a high tech alternative. All in all a 9 out of 10.

BANG

photo BANGNOLUFSENSigPic4_zpsa53ba0de.jpg
Message 5 of 8 (657 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3586 posts

Oct 17, 2012

Oh yeah, Jessica is nice to look at, hard to keep my attention on the information being presented looking at here.  Smiley Embarassed

All in all the video was good information, not much I didn't already know in terms of the features the G27 had over the G25.  I'm not looking for the shifter to have a sequencial mode.  I bought the G25 because I wanted the actual 6 speed gating and the use of the clutch pedal.  I wanted a more realistic racing experience than what any other wheel offered at the time so the loss of the sequencial shifter isn't a big deal for me.  My main concern is the build quality of the shifter and the wiring inside to determine if there is a potential I might have the same failure with it.  I guess what I need to do is more research on the internet, scour Logitechs forums more, maybe find some YouTube vides of someone taking the thing apart so I can see inside.  Cause like I mentioned earlier, I don't want to drop $200 all to end up having the same issue after the warrenty expires.

I did see a review video on that website on the Thrustmaster TH8RS, that is a sweet shifter.

Thank you to those who responded and your advise.  I welcome more replies if anyone has any input they'd like to share.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 8 (627 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1089 posts

Oct 17, 2012
Great idea on doing more research. Youtube also has a bunch of reviews on the G27. In all honesty, I have not heard anything breaking down on thr G27 or its shifter. One of the guys on the site I mentioned to you has had one for a couple years and has been reliable.

The only thing I have heard that is making me wait is the chatter on it can be a bit disturbing to hear due to the helical gears. Which is different from the straight cut gearing in yours. I hope you find that in doing a Youtube search. Too bad they discontinued the G25. Heck, even Fanatech- the Porche wheel and clutch- is a compatable package with GT5. That too can be pricey but cheaper than the Thrustmaster 500. No dought take your time which you seem to be doing and I hope you find the you want.
" A defeat is good for the character if you take it the right way."

Who said it?
Message 7 of 8 (622 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3586 posts

Oct 17, 2012

F1Cheetor wrote:
Great idea on doing more research. Youtube also has a bunch of reviews on the G27. In all honesty, I have not heard anything breaking down on thr G27 or its shifter. One of the guys on the site I mentioned to you has had one for a couple years and has been reliable.

The only thing I have heard that is making me wait is the chatter on it can be a bit disturbing to hear due to the helical gears. Which is different from the straight cut gearing in yours. I hope you find that in doing a Youtube search. Too bad they discontinued the G25. Heck, even Fanatech- the Porche wheel and clutch- is a compatable package with GT5. That too can be pricey but cheaper than the Thrustmaster 500. No dought take your time which you seem to be doing and I hope you find the you want.

Thank you, I appreciate the support and kind words.  The last time I soldered this wire it held for a little over a year till this past weekend, so hopefully this new fix will last some time in the future.  I'm not in immediate need for another wheel as I've fixed my problem for the time being, but I did want to come out here and get some feedback because at some point I will need to retire this G25 wheel set and get something new.  So obviously all help and suggestions are welcome so I have things to think about in my decision in what to do.

The best feedback on the quality of a product is by the people who use the products.  While the few of us regulars out here don't make up the majority, your thoughts and opinions are valuable non the less.

Thanks again.

Message 8 of 8 (613 Views)
0 Likes