Jul 07 2008
By: Cobra1 VP of Gaming 30083 posts

The *Official* Driving Rig/Wheelstand Information Center!

413 replies 2659 views Edited Jul 7, 2008
Driving Rig/WHEELSTAND INFORMATION CENTER

Welcome to the Driving Rig/Wheelstand Information Center!

There is a lot of information listed in this thread, so I apologize in advance for its length. It is my sincere desire that the information contained here is useful, informative and sometimes entertaining. Some systems may not be compatible with Logitech's DFP wheel and Gran Turismo 4, but I hope they can at least inspire the home builder.

Because of the amount of web pages and links, they will be split into several categories. I will start out with Millionaire's Suite, work our way through Shopper's Paradise, and The Builder's Workshop. We'll finish up with a small section on Wheelstands. No matter if you want to buy a driving rig or build your own, there are plenty of ideas here to get you started.

Before I start, I want to thank MasterGT for entrusting me with this task and also Migagee for doing some of the board research. This thread would not have been possible without either of them. I would also like to thank everyone else on This Board and around the world for getting pictures of their driving rigs and stands online.

MILLIONAIRE'S SUITE
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Welcome to the Millionaire's Suite! We only have two entries here, but if you have $10,000 - $60,000 to spend on a video game, you're probably in the wrong place anyway!

The first entry is from Hexatech Racing. You'll probably need a warehouse to use it, and this commercial proves that point! In my opinion, it looks to be the most realistic motion simulator I have seen.

Rounding out Millionaire's Suite is our entry from Force-Dynamics. It is built for the conservative millionaire who just might be tight on space! I'm not sure if they can configure the 301 Trainer to work with Gran Turismo 4, but at $30,000, I'm not calling to find out!

SHOPPER'S PARADISE

Shopper's Paradise is a section devoted to those driving rigs from retail manufacturers. My currency exchange rates may not be exact, but they are at least in the range. I've listed the prices here as a guidleline, and remember neither I, SCEA, or Polyphony Digital can make legal claims as to the veracity of claims listed by the retailers linked here. Remember the first rule in business: Buyer Beware!

I'm listing Sparco's drving rig first because it is the one recommended by Polyphony Digital's U.S. Producer, Taku Imasaki. It looks to be fairly solid and you can tell some thought has been put into its development.

Nixim has drving rigs ranging in price from $4,500-$700, if you don't mind ordering from England. Be sure to check out their models and gallery.

I really like the Playseat as well, but I have not yet been able to find a U.S. distributor for this product.

Redline Simulations weighs in with three models ranging from $1,000-$400. You can also purchase a monitor mount for all three models. As far as I can tell, the price differences are due to the type of finish you want on your drving rig.

Down in Australia, Race Base **bleep**pit has three models to choose from. And if you want the combination of making one from plans, they have that option available too.

Hyper Stimulator International has been designing and builing driving rigs for 14 years! The Clubman Kit can be ordered in several countries including the United States, and is designed for use with most gaming consoles and personal computers. The Proto GP and the Extreme both come delivered factory built and are for the personal computer only, but at almost $4,000, Santa probably won't be dropping one through your chimney this year anyway!

If you live Across the Pond, check out Adrenalin Gaming LTD. They have developed the Senses 3 Race Pod. It looks nice, but some of the other companies appear to have superior products. It does, however, have the advantage of costing quite a bit less than the others.

Looselugnut found this little gem from Mushabari. It may not look like much, but you certainly can't beat the price! Hoop2 posted this link for the Race Pac, but unfortunately it does not appear to be worth the effort. It looks like it may not support the Driving Force Pro Wheel either.  I recently ran across the Precise Chair as well.  I haven't heard of any reviews yet, but it looks nice enough.

THE BUILDER'S WORKSHOP

We're now going to delve into the Builder's Workshop. This is by far the largest category of **bleep**pits. If you have a posted **bleep**pit picture and I have mistakenly left it off this page, please accept my apologies.

We travel first to the Land Down Under and visit Migagee who built this fine **bleep**pit! He also has some adjustability to it, so other drivers may use it.

CCage made this project while waiting for GT4 to be released. It looks simple, but sometimes that works best! Be sure and dive deep into the thread as 3rdgenracerX and Maggot9 have their setups posted in that thread, as well. CCage also made a second **bleep**pit and it looks very professional! Looselugnut has posted his "before" and "after" pictures here. What a difference!

Cobra Girl made this **bleep**pit out of PVC. It is not adjustable, but works very well for her, and SoloTSi97 built his **bleep**pit out of wood. Evolution sponsored his own **bleep**pit contest and there are some great entries in that thread!

Powerjunkie modelled his creation after the Sparco design. I have to say he did a wonderful job! Packie81 went all out and used an AutoCad program to create his streamlined **bleep**pit. Be sure and read further into that thread as Technogeek's setup is there as well. Tommi18 weighs in with this incomplete model, while Captain Stabbie put in his request to see everyone's homebuilt **bleep**pits.

njesper went all out on this time consuming project. Another user checking in with PVC is Quisp with this really nice looking comfortable **bleep**pit. But the largest collection of **bleep**pits in one place has to be in this Japanese site with near 80 photo's and growing!

A user in Portugal made this **bleep**pit with plans available online.

WHEELSTANDS

This is a fairly small portion of the whole, but there are still some great ideas here. Both retail and homebuilt wheelstands are included here, and we will bridge the gap between **bleep**pits and wheelstands with Trinity Race Concepts. Just scroll down the page to view their products. Meanwhile, Fireshooter made this stand that also holds his PS2!

MasterGT built this little stand for his wheels, and Capitol Die Cast has offered their model for sale too.

Finally Redline GT has made their Race Station. They have priced it very reasonably and it looks good too!

So this is the current state of **bleep**pits and Wheelstands! There are some great ideas here and again, if you're in the market for something to hold your driving wheel, I hope you find something that will suit your budget and style. Thanks again to everyone that participated in making this thread possible, no matter where in the world you are!

Cobra Girl

Please post your commercially purchased driving rigs in this thread.  Discussion should be kept to a minumum as this is not a place to advertise.

Thank you :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Cobra Girl on 05-21-2008 10:02 AM
Message Edited by Cobra Girl on 05-21-2008 10:03 AM
Message Edited by Cobra Girl on 05-21-2008 10:06 AM
Message Edited by Cobra Girl on 05-21-2008 10:13 AM
Message Edited by Cobra Girl on 07-06-2008 10:23 PM
Fastest Grandma In GT
Message 17 of 414 (2,659 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3148 posts

Re: The *Official* **bleep**pit/Wheelstand Information Center!

May 15, 2008

here's mine

Photobucket
search
Message 1 of 414 (2,659 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1522 posts

May 15, 2008

mine is very extremely basic. looks something like this:

i'll post actual pictures when i get home!

Message 2 of 414 (2,659 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30083 posts

May 15, 2008

Please post your commercially purchased driving rigs in this thread.  Discussion should be kept to a minumum as this is not a place to advertise.

Thank you

Message Edited by Cobra Girl on 05-15-2008 10:37 AM
Fastest Grandma In GT
Message 3 of 414 (2,659 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
272 posts

May 15, 2008

Here's what I bought.

df gt
Message 4 of 414 (2,659 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30083 posts

Re: The *Official* Driving Rig/Wheelstand Information Center!

May 21, 2008

Please post your commercially purchased driving rigs in this thread.  Home built driving rigs should be posted in the following thread:

Offical Home Built DFP **bleep**pits Thread.

Thank you

Fastest Grandma In GT
Message 5 of 414 (2,659 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9428 posts

May 21, 2008

Here's the "Ozone Gaming seat" that I just Ordered from Obutto:

Obutto "Ozone" Gaming Chair

Comes complete with Adjustable sliding cloth covered Seat, Platforms for Wheel and Pedals.  Separate platform for Small Monitor (removable) and "Swing mount" arms with Platforms for Keyboard and G25 shift mechanism (shown separately below).  All powder coated steel tubular framing.

G25 Shift mount assembly 

All inclusive for $324.00 U.S. (including shifter mount, Keyboard platform, monitor platform and shipping).

All inclusive for $399.00 Can. (including shifter mount, Keyboard platform, monitor platform and shipping).

As far as the U.S. Price, It's almost identical to the price for the Playseat Evolution (weith shipping)  But the Playseat Evo. doesn't include: shifter mount, seat adjuster, and keyboard mount. 

Time to receive your order is about 30-45 days, however ( But to me it is worth the wait ).  

Link: Obutto 

3 Videos  (posted on You Tube) of seat operation:   Video

Regards,

Message Edited by GT allstar on 05-21-2008 01:56 PM
Message 6 of 414 (2,659 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
963 posts

May 21, 2008
Wow nice thread, im looking forward to buy the Capitol Diecast folding wheelstand, i love how you can put it away so easiley, o btw some links are down or not working
Message 7 of 414 (2,659 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
214 posts

May 21, 2008
I wish I had bought that instead of the playseat evo.  The free shipping on the playseat through amazon is nice though.  It saves you over 100$.  I would have paid the extra money though for the obutto if I had seen it before I ordered the playseat.  The playseat is nice, Don't get me wrong.  The seat on the obutto looks more comfortable, it also looks more stable.
Message 8 of 414 (2,659 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

May 21, 2008
Great job Cobra. I shouldn't have looked at the millionaire's section, DROOL, LOL. I finally found a Canadian distributor for the Playseat evo so I won't get ripped off on brokerage fees from the US. They are backordered for about 2 more weeks. I have the DFP and only use it for the PS3 so I don't need the seperate shifter or keyboard stand. My plans are to get the Playseat for $299. Can anybody tell me if the Playseat is worth it VS the Obutto for a $100 more?
Message 9 of 414 (2,659 Views)
0 Likes