Treasure Hunter
4525 posts

Re: The GT5 World did not end!

Dec 22, 2012

Now the world really has come to an end..........I need to go do a few laps......

best%20surfer%20gal%20bikini_img_assist_custom.jpg

Message 21 of 29 (346 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1665 posts

Dec 22, 2012

OMG, was that as simple as a search for "dogs in bikinis" or did you quickly dress up the family pet?  Either way it's sad, just sadSmiley LOL

Photobucket
Message 22 of 29 (343 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4525 posts

Dec 22, 2012

No I got it from one of nuTTTz' old calendars  Smiley Tongue

Uh oh, he's going to send Mayan #1 and #2 after me!   

Message 23 of 29 (331 Views)
Gaming Beast
2197 posts

Dec 22, 2012

Well, I'm looking at some software online to fix my hard drive. If they don't work, I'm going to try mechanical repairs.

I don't mind losing data that simply took time (getting to level 40 A- and B-Spec, collecting cars, etc.) I'm worried about losing irreplaceable data (replays, tracks).

Luckily, my most valued track, Corde, is shared. So could I ask anyone to download it, so I at least don't lose that track? Thanks.

Also, if I do get my hard drive repaired, you can bet I'm going to create 3 backups, and backups of those. (Sorry, no lol this time. This is serious)

Gojet-64 is now Encvell. (Gojet-64 is now only used for older games and Vita)
Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Message 24 of 29 (307 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6687 posts

Dec 22, 2012

My main gamesave is backed up onto 2 separate USB Sticks daily, backed up onto a PC weekly or sooner, also is backed up to the same account on another PS3 daily. I've had a major loss of my second best account whenmy first PS3 YLODed. I've been very diligent since then.  I think that sometime it takes a catostrophic loss like this to make us more aware on a personal level.

photo Can-AmRacingFerrari350SWERVSig3_zps05defb05.jpg
Message 25 of 29 (299 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4525 posts

Dec 23, 2012

Sorry to hear of your problem Gojet.  I hope you get back on track soon.

Message 26 of 29 (290 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44356 posts

Dec 23, 2012

Gojet-64 wrote:

Well, I'm looking at some software online to fix my hard drive. If they don't work, I'm going to try mechanical repairs.

I would  be interested in knowing about what you find.

The file system is not your everyday FAT (it is named in the Help post  - UFS2?), so you will have to find something very specialized to fix a UNIX file system error. If there are services that do this, then please tell me.

Now, if the cause started with a hardware problem, then it would be very unlikely to fix a corrupt file.

Message 27 of 29 (278 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2197 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 23, 2012

Like I said in an earlier post, My last backup on a flash drive (and on my computer) is from April 29th 2012. So in terms of cars collected and game progression, I shouldn't lose too much.

However, based on the file size, there is no way the copyable GT5 file contains the data for my 200+ replays (I always save league races. Regular online races I only save if I'm proud of my performance)

The loss of tracks I think I can deal with. None of them were really any good anyway.

Regarding recovering the data, I've found something called "SpinRite" which is designed to remove bad sectors on a hard drive. Basically, it only takes one bad sector to make the entire drive unreadable, even though the data is still on the hard drive.

From what I've read, many hard drives have around 2,000,000 sectors per GB, or about 0.5 KB per sector. So deleting a single sector is unlikely, if not impossible, to cause any major data loss.

I just have to hope that the my hard drive simply has bad sectors, and not that it has altogether failed.

I don't want to waste $90 on SpinRite just for it to not work.

I will not be lazy from now on. I will make full-system backups frequently; at least weekly.

Gojet-64 is now Encvell. (Gojet-64 is now only used for older games and Vita)
Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Message 28 of 29 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
44356 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 23, 2012

Gojet-64 wrote:

I don't want to waste $90 on SpinRite just for it to not work.

You might see if you can contact the company, to ask if their software actually works with drive that has the PS3's file system. There is nothing on their site to definitely indicate that it does.

Message 29 of 29 (258 Views)