Lombax Warrior
242 posts

Re: The Essential GT Track List

Sep 2, 2012

I nominate the other NASCAR road course, Infineon Raceway. Also known as Sonoma Raceway due to it's location in Sonoma, California. It has multiple setups, and the best part is it's got a drag strip! So maybe, just maybe, we will finally have a drag strip! History: NASCAR has visited for 24 consecutive years. The track hosts the IZOD Indy car Series, NHRA Drag Racing, NASCAR, the FIA WTCC, and more. Various car clubs book to drive here year round. Sonoma also hosts various drift events. The outside is an 11 turn track.

Full Name: Sonoma Raceway or Infineon Raceway

Track Type: Read-World Circuit

Full Circuit: 2.52 Miles

NASCAR: 1.99 Miles

Drag strip: 1/4 Mile

Modified Course: 2.22 Miles

I take my life a quarter mile at a time.
Message 21 of 134 (2,551 Views)
Gaming Beast
2197 posts

Sep 2, 2012

The List is all up-to-date. Not that is wasn't before. I usually check here once or twice a day.

The Candidate List has been updated to version 2.0: Now features links to each nomination post.

Gojet-64 is now Encvell. (Gojet-64 is now only used for older games and Vita)
Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Message 22 of 134 (2,534 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1848 posts

Sep 3, 2012

In light of the awesome Australian V8 Supercars event televised yesterday afternoon; I feel the need to add another iconic Aussie circuit.

Sydney Motorsports Park 360 - aka Eastern Creek Circuit

File:Eastern Creek Circuit.svg

Over the years, this course has hosted many top flight drivers, leagues, and races. The elevation changes and technical sections make for a real challenging layout. A great addition to the GT5 lineup!

Message 23 of 134 (2,516 Views)
PlayStation MVP
1848 posts

Sep 3, 2012

Wow - motivated today! Another track I've raced in "another" game and loved it!

Road America!

File:Road America.svg

Road America is a road course located near Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin on Wisconsin Highway 67. It has hosted races since the 1950s and currently hosts races in the NASCAR Nationwide Series, American Le Mans (Road America 500), SCCA Speed World Challenge Series, Grand-Am, ASRA, and AMA Superbike series. Road America is considered among the best road courses in the world, and open-wheel racing journalist Robin Miller says that Road America is "the best test of road racing in North America"

In addition to the main course, the facility includes a 0.8-mile (1.3 km) karting track called the Blain's Farm & Fleet Motorplex inside the Carousel. The Blain's Farm & Fleet Motorplex hosts two series of karting events. It hosts weekly events on Tuesdays in the summer. It also hosts approximately six Saturday events during the summer.

Message 24 of 134 (2,515 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6675 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 16, 2012

WhiteyDoBow wrote:

I nominate the other NASCAR road course, Infineon Raceway. Also known as Sonoma Raceway due to it's location in Sonoma, California. It has multiple setups, and the best part is it's got a drag strip! So maybe, just maybe, we will finally have a drag strip! History: NASCAR has visited for 24 consecutive years. The track hosts the IZOD Indy car Series, NHRA Drag Racing, NASCAR, the FIA WTCC, and more. Various car clubs book to drive here year round. Sonoma also hosts various drift events. The outside is an 11 turn track.

Full Name: SEARS POINT RACEWAY Sonoma Raceway or Infineon Raceway  :smileyvery-happy:

Track Type: Read-World Circuit

Full Circuit: 2.52 Miles

NASCAR: 1.99 Miles

Drag strip: 1/4 Mile

Modified Course: 2.22 Miles

Why don't you call it by it's real name, SEARS POINT. IT was and always will be SEARS POINT to me and most racers who ever knew it as such before the Infineon fiasco

photo Can-AmRacingFerrari350SWERVSig3_zps05defb05.jpg
Message 25 of 134 (2,511 Views)
Gaming Beast
2197 posts

Sep 3, 2012

I'm going to be lenient with those nominations. I just don't want people saying "This track!" without anything to support it. Remember, a better nomination post will help the track get more votes!

I noticed that a lot of tracks have a corner called the Carousel. Sonoma, Road America, Nürburgring, maybe more. But the one at Nürburgring will be the only corner worthy of that name, in my mind.

Gojet-64 is now Encvell. (Gojet-64 is now only used for older games and Vita)
Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Message 26 of 134 (2,493 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
242 posts

Sep 6, 2012

I do note the fact that is WAS Sears Point Raceway, but due to the name change not too long ago, it is more recognized as Sonoma or Infineon.

I take my life a quarter mile at a time.
Message 27 of 134 (2,473 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2010 posts

Sep 7, 2012

Hockenheimring Old

Hockenheimring Current

Tracks full name:  Hockenheimring Baden-Württemberg

Track type: Real World Multi Purpose Road Course

Picture showing circuit layout... Got both, old and current one.

Brief write-up about it's history and why it should be in Gran Turismo:

The Hockenheimring was built in 1932, but was mainly used for motorcycling and testing until the late 1930's.

It used to be 8 miles long, until 1965, when it got rebuilt with the stadium section.

2 time F1 world champion Jim Clark was the first driver to be killed at this circuit due to a lack of chicanes, the circuit then claimed the lives of 4 more drivers within 18 years.

The circuit was infamous during the mid 80's when fuel was restricted for turbo-powered F1 cars, this would cause drivers such as Alain Prost to retire from the race due to running out of fuel.

Safety and security facilities have been improved since the 2000 German Grand Prix.

It was redesigned in 2002 by Hermann Tilke.

The old forest section was torn up, and replaced with trees, but the remains of the Ostkurve can easily be seen.
The revamped Hockenheim has earned the ire of principals like Ron Dennis, and drivers like Jarno Trulli and Juan Pablo Montoya, who liked the old track more.

Message 28 of 134 (2,462 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1848 posts

Sep 15, 2012

A nomination for Autodromo Brno....

The Masaryk circuit, or Masarykring, now referred to as the Brno Circuit, refers to two motorsport race tracks located close to the city of Brno, Czech Republic The original street circuit was made up of public roads, and at its longest measured nearly 19 miles (31 km). In the 1930s, events such as the Masaryk Grand Prix attracted top teams and drivers.

Racing on the roads ended after 1986, when the current permanent circuit was opened within the bounds of the original roads. The annual MotoGP Grand Prix of the Czech Republic is the circuit’s most important event. The World Touring Car Championship, Formula Two, FIA GT1 and the Superbike World Championship also race at the circuit.

This track has that quality of both fast and technical that would make it a great addition to the GT lineup.

Message 29 of 134 (2,425 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 19, 2012

Name: Circuito José Carlos Pace (a.k.a Interlagos)

Track Type: Real-world

Location: São Paulo - Brazil (Coordinates: 23°42′13″S 46°41′59″W)

Original Layout:

Interlagos_1973.jpg

Actual Layout:

Interlagos_2007.png

History (from Wikipedia)

The land on which the circuit is located was originally bought in 1926 by property developers who wanted to build accommodations.[1] Following difficulties partly due to the 1929 stock market crash, it was decided to build a racing circuit instead, construction started in 1938 and the track was inaugurated in May 1940.

The traditional name of the circuit (literally, "between lakes") comes from the fact that it was built in a region between two large artificial lakes, Guarapiranga and Billings, which were built in the early 20th century to supply the city with water and electric power. It was renamed in 1985 from "Autódromo de Interlagos" to its current name to honor the Brazilian Formula One driver José Carlos Pace, who died in a plane crash in 1977.

Formula One started racing there in 1972, the first year being a non-championship race, won by Argentinean Carlos Reutemann. The first World Championship Brazilian Grand Prix was held at Interlagos in 1973, the race won by defending Formula One World Champion and São Paulo local Emerson Fittipaldi. Fittipaldi won the race again the following year in bad weather and Brazilian driver José Carlos Pace won his only race at Interlagos in 1975.

Due to safety concerns with the 4.9 mile circuit, including the bumpy track surface and the inadequate barriers, deep ditches, and embankments, the last Formula One race held on the original Interlagos was in 1980, the race was nearly cancelled after protests by many Formula One drivers including defending world champion Jody Scheckter. The safety concerns were somewhat directed towards the track surface, which BBC commentator Murray Walker described as "appallingly bumpy". Most of the ground-effect cars of 1980 were designed in such a way that bumpy surfaces were barely tolerable for the drivers. Also, the slums of São Paulo were at odds for Formula One's glamorous image. These factors meant that Formula One would move back to the Jacarepaguá circuit in Rio De Janeiro, where the Brazilian Grand Prix was held in 1978. After Formula One moved away, the only major race being held at Interlagos was the Mil Milhas Brasil, and the last major race on the original circuit was the 1989 Mil Milhas Brasil, and Formula One returned to the circuit the following year after it had been shortened and modified at a cost of $15 million. The track layout, aside from the pit exit being extended along the Curva do Sol over the years has remained the same since 1990.

The facilities include a kart circuit named after Ayrton Senna.

The circuit is often witness to dramatic results when it hosts the Formula One Brazilian Grand Prix. Felipe Massa almost won the 2008 Driver's World Championship when he finished the 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix as winner, but after he finished, Lewis Hamilton overtook Timo Glock and was crowned World Champion. Despite Rubens Barrichello's pole position in 2009, Mark Webber won the race and Jenson Button won the championship for Brawn after starting 14th. Williams got their first pole since 2006 here at the 2010 Brazilian Grand Prix with Nico Hülkenberg, who was dropped for 2011 due to his lack of sponsorship. The race was won by Sebastian Vettel, and with Mark Webber coming second, Red Bull secured the constructors title; however the driver's title was not confirmed until the last race.

In 2011, Brazil returned to its status as the season's final race.

Senna Interlagos 1991 podium

Senna 1993

Senna S

Message 30 of 134 (2,372 Views)