Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
GT Gold
190 posts

Re: The Essential GT Track List

Aug 27, 2012

Not to discredit OzDaddy's nomination, as it's a very good one (I'm loving Bathurst right now in pCARS!), but I'm wondering if it should be excluded from this list due to the fact that we already know it's coming to Gran Turismo?   It's a popular track that I assume would get a lot of votes...  I just can't help but think that the votes it would receive would be better placed towards tracks we know aren't already in progress.

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 126 (1,649 Views)
0 Likes
GT Silver
2188 posts

Aug 27, 2012

OzDaddy62 wrote:

And he did pay a franchise fee.  :smileywink:

I have a few Ticket 1000's laying around :smileywink:. But yeah, I don't want any credit I don't deserve.

I thought the "Bathurst coming to GT5" thing was just a rumor. Has it been confirmed in any way?

Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 126 (1,640 Views)
0 Likes
GT Gold
190 posts

Aug 27, 2012

Gojet-64 wrote:

I thought the "Bathurst coming to GT5" thing was just a rumor. Has it been confirmed in any way?

While there has been no official word from PD, the following news bit from GT Planet suggests it is indeed coming...

http://www.gtplanet.net/bathurst-scanned-for-gt6/

I'm not one to normally post speculation but I think this one is a pretty safe bet. 

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 126 (1,634 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3331 posts

Aug 28, 2012

GTP_Wizard wrote:

Not to discredit OzDaddy's nomination, as it's a very good one (I'm loving Bathurst right now in pCARS!), but I'm wondering if it should be excluded from this list due to the fact that we already know it's coming to Gran Turismo?   It's a popular track that I assume would get a lot of votes...  I just can't help but think that the votes it would receive would be better placed towards tracks we know aren't already in progress.

But if it's not listed, how am I going to take all the credit when it's added?  :smileywink:

Flying through all the twists and turns going up and down the mountain will be lots of fun.

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 126 (1,622 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Aug 29, 2012

OzDaddy62 wrote:

GTP_Wizard wrote:

But if it's not listed, how am I going to take all the credit when it's added?  :smileywink:

Flying through all the twists and turns going up and down the mountain will be lots of fun.

I vote this. Oz should get his due, regardless if PD wants to "surprise" is or not... :smileywink:

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 126 (1,611 Views)
0 Likes
Record Breaker
8414 posts

Aug 29, 2012

GTP_Wizard wrote:

Gojet-64 wrote:

While there has been no official word from PD, the following news bit from GT Planet suggests it is indeed coming...

http://www.gtplanet.net/bathurst-scanned-for-gt6/

I'm not one to normally post speculation but I think this one is a pretty safe bet. 

this part is the only part I would call speculation...

"However it also means that Gran Turismo 6 is at least 2 years away, given earlier remarks from Polyphony regarding the time taken to recreate each real track for GT5, giving us a first glimpse into any kind of timeframe for the next full game in the series."

Just because it can take two years to fully model a track doesn't mean it always must take two years.  We do not know whether Spa and Motegi were tracks originally intended for GT5's release but were unfinished, or whether they were begun from scratch sometime afterward.

But two years wouldn't surprise me as being the earliest we might receive GT6.  I think we should make the best of GT5 for the forseeable future.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna (FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only)
GT Saturdays Event Thread
Ex's Racing VideosSupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 126 (1,547 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Aug 29, 2012

I want to run the rails uphill through the Esses...

So I nominate the...:

MyWG2.png

• Track's full name: Watkins Glen International
  • Track type: Real World Multi Purpose Road Course
  • Picture showing the circuit's layout... Done.
  • Brief write-up describing the track, its history, and/or why it should be in Gran Turismo.

-Watkins Glen began much the same as Sarthe and the N Ring, being a race held in it's infancy on the actual roads around town.

-It's first races were SCCA sanctioned "Grand Prix" races held for open wheel and sports cars starting in 1948, on 6.6 miles of road.

-Like most races in those days, the racers roared down main street with spectators lining the sides of the course. And like most of those events, in 1952 a spectator was killed and several injured when a car went off the track.

-For 1953, the course was moved to a more secluded area of town, where a 4.6 mile course was used, again utilizing public roadways.

-This course was short lived, being used just three years. In 1956 the first "permanent" race course was constructed. This 2.53 mile course paved over some of the public roads, but it was purpose designed and built as a dedicated racing facility that remained in use through 1970.

-That course contains many of the elements used in the current NASCAR "short course". Turns 2,3,4 and 5 were present, with no chicane to slow the cars down. The cars then ran the NASCAR chute towards turn 10. However, turn 10 was far shallower then, almost making a long sweeper where the tower is now and the coming back and heading for a much harder 90 degree right. The start finish line was on the straight between turns 1 and 2.

-In 1971, the now familiar layout of the Glen was created. "The Boot" section was added, and the track completely reconfigured adding turns 10 and 11 and a new turn number 1. The changes allowed the Start Finish line to be moved and extended, as well as allowed the needed room for the ever expanding needs of a pit lane in professional racing. The pit lane utilized part of the old short run to the old turn one, which is now very close to the pit exit.

-At that time, it was decided to retain use of the old chute section to eliminate the boot. This track was primarily first used for the 6 hour endurance races at the Glen. IMSA started with the long course, but eventually went to using the short course, and NASCAR decided to use the Short course when it made it's return in 1986.

-the Bus Stop became a permanent fixture at the track in 1992, after IMSA driver Tommy Kendall injured his legs in a crash into turn 5. After this, NASCAR driver JD McDuffy was killed in a crash there, and Geoff Bodine blew a tire and took a nasty ride off the end straight into the barrier. To slow the cars down and prevent issues, the Inner Loop complex was added, leading to turn 5 becoming known as The Outer Loop.

Though it had held SCCA sports car and open wheel races for almost a decade, the first "professional" series to visit the Glen was none other than the Grand National series, what we now know as NASCAR in 1957. They returned for a few runs in the early 60's, but it wasn't until 1986 that the Glen earned a permanent spot on the calendar.

It hosted "Formula Libre" races in 59 and 60, playing host to greats Jack Brabham Sterling Moss, Phil and Dan Gurney. The series returned in 61, but it's importance was overshadowed by a far more significant event in the journals of racing history.

After unsuccessful US Grand Prix attempts at Sebring and Riverside, in 1961 the Glen played host to the Formula One season ending US Grand Prix. This event continued at the Glen as a yearly fixture for two decades, bringing F1 fans into the finger lakes region by the score as they made their yearly racing pilgrimage to the track.

As the speeds of the F1 cars grew, the track under went numerous minor revisions, but it's most aggressive was in 71, when adding the boot and changing some of the corners to help the track handle the ever increasing speeds. The addition lengthened the tack, extending it from 2.35 miles to 3.377 miles. But even with constant updates in an attempt to control speeds, it was becoming clear the cars were just getting too fast for the old track to keep pace. After it's glory years of being named the best run Grand Prix in '65, 70 and 72, the track proved to be ever more treacherous as the cars continued to get faster. After two more deaths, the final USGP was held in 1981. 

All during this time, the Can-Am, Trans-Am, IROC, Endurance Sports Cars, Formula 5000 and the CART/Indy car series all raced at Watkins Glen. It was one of THE premiere venues for racing in the US. The annual 6 hour race drew the biggest names in motor sports, and there was always something to see and hear roaring around the track.

However, after the departure of F1 and without having the annual draw of the F1 series, other racing series began the exodus from the facility, also faced with the same challenges to handle the speeds of the cars and the safety equipment of the day. Eventually both events and crowds diminished, money grew scarce and the track declared bankruptcy in 1981.

For a few years the track languished, holding only a few minor SCCA events, races that didn't even have any spectators at all.

In 1983, everything started to change. The track was purchased jointly by Corning Glassworks, a NY based glassware company and ISC, an owner group holding many NASCAR venues. The track was slightly updated, and was again reconfigured, this time to remove the F1's added chicane before front of the Esses, and the track began hosting races again.

The IMSA Camel series returned, running the Glen until it's demise in '95, when it split into the SCCA governing body and the Grand Am series. It was followed by the NASCAR Busch series and NASCAR itself shortly after. 

The track now enjoys multiple events every year including the continued 6 hour endurance race, run under the Grand Am rules and as part of the Rolex Sports Car Series, the NASCAR events and other smaller sports car races as well as a part time driving school facility.

Though it's changed in many ways over the years, The Watkins Glen International is an Iconic piece of racing history, both in the US and on the world stage. It's storied history is as great as any other, and the names of racers past that have graced it's pavement are a who's who of driving legends. It's held races of the highest caliber, and continues to provide one of the best drives and atmosphere's of any race track in the world today.

And it's a heck of a lot of fun to drive too... :smileywink: 

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 126 (1,533 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3331 posts

Aug 29, 2012

Dan_Zitions wrote:

.....and editorialize on the track map.:smileyhappy:    

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 126 (1,528 Views)
PlayStation MVP
41198 posts

Aug 30, 2012

I will update the Track Wish List shortly, to include any recent new recommendations, but the list as it is has all of the main ones that anyone has really wanted in more than half a decade, so it is a stable list from which you can make your polls.

One suggestion would be to do a poll on Australian tracks only. There are so many good ones from there, not just Bathurst. 

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 126 (1,519 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Aug 30, 2012

OzDaddy62 wrote:

Dan_Zitions wrote:

.....and editorialize on the track map.:smileyhappy:    

Whaaaaat...?

Moi....?

You beer selling steakhouse plagiarizing meanie... :smileymad:

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 126 (1,500 Views)