Lombax Warrior
103 posts

Re: The Essential GT Car List

[ Edited ]
Aug 19, 2012

I was gonna hold this one in reserve, see how my beloved XB GT would do (that's right, I'm biased).  But I'm about to drop the gauntlet on y'all...

Another one from the "Cool Cars That Could Have Been" files...

Manufacturer:  Ford

Model:  XA GTHO Falcon Phase IV, 1972

Race Series:  ATCC (intended)

Historical Significance:  The original "Performance Sedan."  This car was decades ahead of its time.  Actually, the "Phase" Falcons that preceded it could arguably lay claim to that distinction also.  But the Phase IV would have been the ultimate expression.  It's an iconic piece of Aussie--and world--automotive history.  Power would have come from a highly developed and blueprinted 351C conservatively rated at 340 HP / 400 ft-lbs, fed through a Toploader 4-speed.  Actual output was likely to have been a fair bit higher.  It was intended to be a homologation special, in Ford's bid to take the Manufacturer's Championship and top honors at Australia's most prestigious race at Bathurst for the upcoming 1972 season.  

But before all that could happen, a test drive article appeared in Wheels magazine that created an outcry of negative public opinion, a "supercar scare" that caused Ford to pull the plug on the program.  Writer Mel Nichols test drove the car's predecessor, an XY GTHO Phase III.  That car was already capable of excellent performance (for its day).  Featured in the article was a now infamous picture of the writer driving the car flat out on the Hume highway, with the 140 mph speedo pegged.  The prospect of the Phase IV soon coming to market--a car that would have surpassed the earlier Phase cars in every category--was what created the supercar scare in the Aussie media and government.  Performance for the Phase IV, based on power, rev limiting and gearing estimated a top speed of 160 mph, which would have made it one of, if not THE fastest production sedan in the world at the time. 

http://www.gtho4.com/gtho4.html

44.jpg

Driving Fun Factor/Desirability:  Who wouldn't want to drive a piece of automotive history?  Their high performance heritage is unquestionable.  It's ironic and kind of funny how this car could have laid claim to the title "world's fastest production sedan," an accolade that auto makers nowadays like to boast about in their advertising.  How times have changed.  Only 4 Phase IV's were built before the program was cancelled.  Only ONE made it off the regular production line, and 3 were sent to Ford's "Lot 6" for preparation for motorsports.  One of those 3 was actually used in rallying, but was later destroyed in an accident, leaving only 3 cars remaining. 

Ford_Falcon_GT-HO_Phase_4-small.jpg

sometimes, when you hear a car--you just know: this one's got a big pair...

Message 281 of 723 (2,905 Views)
Monster Hunter
39 posts

Aug 19, 2012
Ah ok. Noted, I don't regularly use my pc, bit in the future I'll keep it in mind Smiley Happy
"Art is only art if you truly enjoy it"- Sonny Moore.
Want a good shootout on gt5? Let me know.
Message 282 of 723 (2,869 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 20, 2012

@ reddsun1..:

It's a shame it sounds like it has some serious digestive issues in the video, but that was to Aussie V8 SC land what the Super Bird and Dodge Daytonas and that Torino Talladega were to NASCAR. One of the last great factory efforts to go all out on the race track.

One of the things I've enjoyed over the last few years is the renaissance of manufacturers getting back into racing. There have always been some of the stalwarts in it like Audi at Le Mans, but it's been nice to go into the Rolex and Pirelli Sports Car ranks and see Cadillac, Volvo (!?!), Aston Martin, Chevy, Mazda and others really making some decent factory efforts.

And then Dodge pulls it's NASCAR plug just when the car they get approved actually kinda sorta LOOKS like a Charger.

At least their bringing the Viper to AMLS and other venues for real again.

And just another reason to not watch NASCANT for another year.

They still race them "stock car thingies" don't they...? Smiley Tongue

Photobucket
Message 283 of 723 (2,840 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
103 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 24, 2012

Dan_Zitions wrote:

@ reddsun1..:

It's a shame it sounds like it has some serious digestive issues in the video, but that was to Aussie V8 SC land what the Super Bird and Dodge Daytonas and that Torino Talladega were to NASCAR. One of the last great factory efforts to go all out on the race track.

One of the things I've enjoyed over the last few years is the renaissance of manufacturers getting back into racing. There have always been some of the stalwarts in it like Audi at Le Mans, but it's been nice to go into the Rolex and Pirelli Sports Car ranks and see Cadillac, Volvo (!?!), Aston Martin, Chevy, Mazda and others really making some decent factory efforts.

And then Dodge pulls it's NASCAR plug just when the car they get approved actually kinda sorta LOOKS like a Charger.

At least their bringing the Viper to AMLS and other venues for real again.

And just another reason to not watch NASCANT for another year.

They still race them "stock car thingies" don't they...? Smiley Tongue

Hehe, methinks somebody was having trouble finding 3rd.  The Bowden Collection really is a stunning one; the kind that the PD guys should spend lots of time studying.

I have always preferred production based racing, as I think it best bears out the old adage: "racing improves the breed."  I have never liked the idea of allowing silhouette style racers to compete in the same classes as cars that start their life on a showroom floor (or bodies in white).  Cars with a tube frame and a carbon/fiberglass/whatever body vaguely resembling a showroom model draped over it are too purpose-built, too far removed; they're a Chevy _____ or a Ford _____ in name only.  They're ringers, plain and simple. 

Message 284 of 723 (2,833 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Aug 20, 2012

reddsun1 wrote:

Hehe, methinks somebody was having trouble finding 4th.  The Bowden Collection really is a stunning one; the kind that the PD guys should spend lots of time studying.

I have always preferred production based racing, as I think it best bears out the old adage: "racing improves the breed."  I have never liked the idea of allowing silhouette style racers to compete in the same classes as cars that start their life on a showroom floor (or bodies in white).  Cars with a tube frame and a carbon/fiberglass/whatever body vaguely resembling a showroom model draped over it are too purpose-built, too far removed; they're a Chevy _____ or a Ford _____ in name only.  They're ringers, plain and simple. 

Agreed... There was/is something to be said for being able to "make it fit" within the confines of the car itself. Having to use the unibody structure and actual car body while allowing for race built sub frames and cages for safety is much better than the everyone in the same car underneath with a fiber glass body shell.

I was watching a race from England awhile back with the Chevy Cruze (.Cruz..?.) and a couple other smaller cars. They were all hopped up race built machines, but there was no mistaking what the car was. They were neat little pieces. That sort of thing is just starting to really gain some ground here in the states. It's always been here, just never got any TV coverage so it was always under the radar.

I've really started getting into the Pirelli Sports Car Challenge and the Rolex series more and more, along with the prototypes and the ALMS. The GT classes are where cars are most appealing, but I definitely think the Daytona Prototypes took a step in the right direction. The new Chevy Corvette Prototype cars are some nice eye candy indeed.

And all the Pirelli cars look just awesome...

The DTM and other TC's are about as far as I can go. Even NASCANT has realized the cars are too far gone and are forcing the manufacturer's back towards cars that are closer to stock. The newer cars definitely look 100 times better than anything in the last two decades, but with Dodge waving goodbye I have nothing to root for.

Not a ton of Mopar guys left, at least from the old days. We had 20 years of dry spell till the Viper broke everything.

Happy times... Smiley Happy

Don't know if you've caught them yet, but the new Rally Cross cars are something to catch. Those things are very cool. It's like they took a rally car and a hot rod and had a kid. The Ford and Dodge Dart look really sharp. Couple of Mitsus and Saabs. (..yes, there are two Saabs believe it or not..) It'll be an even better series if Subaru ever gets it's racing legs back and they add a couple more events. Heck of a show regardless.

Heck, I still remember seeing 32 ford/chevy and dodge bodies on modifieds with 427/429/426 big blocks. Then all the Gremlins and Vegas. Now even all of them are cookie cutter mobiles. A neighbor down the way had a full bodied 70 Nova that could run as a Modified or Street Stock depending on what motor he felt like strapping in it, and my Uncle ran a 57 Chevy Street Stock for years.

Doubt we'll ever see cars like those in a game like this, but there's nothing like 40 unbridled Big Blocks loud as the hot place and rumbling on the pace laps so much the ground literally shakes under your feet...

Kind of like strapping 15" wide hand cut dirt tires to your lawn mower...

AFTER you bolted a HEMI in it... Smiley Very Happy

Photobucket
Message 285 of 723 (2,825 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
103 posts

Aug 20, 2012

I suppose I'd better ease up on the nominations for a bit, at least see if any of my previous ones will get the nod from fellow petrol heads.  Can't wait to see how the voting turns out.

You should do a youtube search for "Cuda Le Mans" or "HemiCuda Spa."  I think you'd be encouraged to see that even across the pond, there are some for whom: "there's no replacement for displacement."  Smiley Wink

Message 286 of 723 (2,833 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2197 posts

Aug 20, 2012

reddsun1 wrote:

I suppose I'd better ease up on the nominations for a bit, at least see if any of my previous ones will get the nod from fellow petrol heads.  Can't wait to see how the voting turns out.

You should do a youtube search for "Cuda Le Mans" or "HemiCuda Spa."  I think you'd be encouraged to see that even across the pond, there are some for whom: "there's no replacement for displacement.Smiley Wink

There's forced induction.

Gojet-64 is now Encvell. (Gojet-64 is now only used for older games and Vita)
Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Message 287 of 723 (2,831 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Aug 21, 2012

Gojet-64 wrote:

reddsun1 wrote:

You should do a youtube search for "Cuda Le Mans" or "HemiCuda Spa."  I think you'd be encouraged to see that even across the pond, there are some for whom: "there's no replacement for displacement.Smiley Wink

There's forced induction.

"There's no substitute for cubic inches..."

Gimme stable, reliable and predictable power over hair dryers and convection ovens any day of the week.

I'm Naturally Aspirated, happen to prefer my cars that way too. Smiley Very Happy

Doesn't mean a turbo or SC isn't something to be over looked, just prefer not to have to deal with the side effects.

Photobucket
Message 288 of 723 (2,827 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6687 posts

Aug 21, 2012

I really don't like anything that is forced..........

photo Can-AmRacingFerrari350SWERVSig3_zps05defb05.jpg
Message 289 of 723 (2,820 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Aug 21, 2012

SWERV_GRIFFIN wrote:

I really don't like anything that is forced..........

At least engines are oiled and lubed...

Photobucket
Message 290 of 723 (2,809 Views)