Lombax Warrior
103 posts

Re: The Essential GT Car List

[ Edited ]
Oct 7, 2012

Seeing as how the Honda Weider HSV-010 has recently been added through the DLC, does that mean that it can/should be removed from the Winner's Circle here, to make room for another nominee? 

If so, then I want to *bump* one, to hopefully get it back into the Parking Lot for the next rd of voting:

linky: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Gran-Turismo-Series-General/The-Essential-GT-Car-List/m-p/374...

I mean, seriously?  How can you have the Camaro RM, Challenger RM, and not have a corresponding period-correct Mustang to race against them?  Or for that matter, an AMC Javelin to throw into the mix too (but we can get to that one too, I guess).  I don't suppose the Trans-Cammer should count, should it? as it's more a restomod than as-raced during thier heyday. 

still has the full interior--actually, that should be a big no-no, for a racecar...

Message 361 of 714 (843 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Oct 7, 2012
I would add a picture, but I can't find one in the right format
Message 362 of 714 (824 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
103 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 7, 2012

The lack of depth in many classes/fields of cars in GT is rather frustrating; even more so because it's been that way pretty much since the first installment, I'm afraid. 

It'd be nice to be able to select from enough cars to recreate, for example: a field of FIA GT racers....

from a few seasons past

x1jak3.jpg

or from more recently

2009_FIA_GT3_www_realcarwalls_blogspot_com_28.jpg

Many of these cars have turned a wheel in GT at some point or another; but seemingly never all together in the same installment(?).  If only there could be more of a collaborative effort, more participation in one place--instead of every Tom, Richard and Harry starting their own separate threads, essentially asking for the same thing--then maybe PD would actually take our requests more seriously? 

Message 363 of 714 (817 Views)
Highlighted
First Son
3 posts

Oct 9, 2012

98_mitsubishi_eclipse_gsx.jpg

This is a 97-99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. It is the highest end model eclipse available and features a 2.0l turbo charged 4g63 motor and is AWD. This car was basically the Mitsubishi EVO of the 90's (in America). The car was at the top of it's class as far as performance and innovative design. The in-game description of the 95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT they feature in GT5 is full of misinformation, starting with the fact that there was never a 'GT' trim level, it says that in America, with he introduction of the 2nd gen Eclipse, they did away with the AWD feature and this is simply not true! In my opinion this misinformation alone should put this car at the top of the list of provisions. I have always took the information featured in the Gran Turismo games to be facts, not made up garbage. This puts serious doubt in my mind about other info featured in the game. Please take this into serious consideration not only as an "Essential Car" addition, but as an essential correction. All information you will need is in this link, and yes, its Wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Eclipse.

Message 364 of 714 (787 Views)
Gaming Beast
2197 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 10, 2012

Car request:

Toyota

TMG EV P002

Japan

PRDW0P572402.jpg

The Toyota TMG EV P002 is an electric sports prototype car built by Toyota. It was built to show the potential of electric cars, and indeed it did.

The TMG EV P002 holds several records, including fastest completion of the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb for an electric car, and setting the fastest lap for an electric car at the Nürburgring Nordshleife (See video).

The car's body is based on a modified Radical SR8. The car itself is small, and made of carbon fiber, so it's light. The batteries are placed low, to ensure a low center of gravity. And this combined with the front and rear wings, this car has good handling abilities.

Because it is an electric car, it features outstanding acceleration, thanks to it being light, and also thanks to its 469 horsepower, 664 lb-ft torque motor. It also boasts a top speed of over 150 MPH.

Gojet-64 is now Encvell. (Gojet-64 is now only used for older games and Vita)
Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Message 365 of 714 (762 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
103 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 10, 2012

So, does Radical Sports Cars get any credit for Toyota using their chassis? 

Message 366 of 714 (746 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2197 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 10, 2012

Well, "using" and "based-on" are seperate terms. But if it makes you happy...

Can we see us giving Lotus credit for creating the chassis the Venom GT is based on?

Gojet-64 is now Encvell. (Gojet-64 is now only used for older games and Vita)
Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Message 367 of 714 (732 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
258 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 20, 2012

Deleted

Message 368 of 714 (699 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
103 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 13, 2012

Anxious to see how the vote turns out (c'mon, Falcon Coupe!)  Smiley Wink

But to keep thing moving with the nominations...here's one from left field.  How about...

Manufacturer:  Toyota

Model:  Celica GT-S, 2-dr Coupe 1984-85 (US spec)

Historical Significance:  An underrated, sporty, fun little car.  Why on earth would one nominate the relatively unloved and unheralded US-spec Celica GT-S, you might ask?  Bear with me, as it's a bit of a sleeper, a real gem to the true driving enthusiast.  They are also somewhat worthy of a footnote in automotive history as the last of the RWD Celicas. 

"1982 saw the introduction of the third generation Celica. Styling was changed considerably from previous models and power was now provided by 2.4-liter engines. In 1983, Toyota added the GT-S model to the Celica line to re-inject the sports image that Celica had lost as it grew larger and heavier with each subsequent model. The GT-S included larger wheels and tires, fender flares, sports suspension, and a sports interior including special seats and a leather-wrapped steering-wheel and gearshift knob." (http://www.celica-gts.com/resources/celica_history.html)  Apparently, the 22R-E--originally a truck engine--was thought better suited to the US market for its torquey characteristics.  The design is pretty evocative of the era, with its squared, straight-edged proportions--but they're good looking cars compared to their contemporaries, managed to look fast just sitting still.  Dan Gurney's All American Racers team also continued their long and successful relationship with Toyota, racing 3rd-gen Celicas (hatchbacks though) in IMSA competition. 

Driving Fun Factor:  While considered positively anaemic by today's power standards, the GT-S' output was enough to be competitive in its segment for its day.  The 22R-E has a strong reputation for being relatively bulletproof, and responds very well to forced induction.  Power output as high as 300+ HP with turbocharging is considered well within the block's capability--but the dollar-per-HP ratio is fairly steep, compared to say, modding a V8.  It featured IRS, and thanks to its light weight is quite tossable and fun to drive--the Coupe is actually lighter than the Liftback.  With 4-wheel disc brakes, stopping power is sure footed and confidence inspiring--it could almost be considered over-braked, given the light chassis.  It was a car much loved by owners/enthusiasts for its peppiness, as well as its super comfortable seats.  "** Note: In 1984 Car and Driver magazine rated the GTS/Supra driver's seat the best in the business."  (http://www.celica-gts.com/mycar/technical_specs.html)  Because of its relatively low (initial) power, excellent handling and braking characteristics, this would be a wonderful car for learning "energy management" techniques of driving, maximizing a chassis' strengths to achieve higher average speeds, and not just going gonzo on the straights. 

Celica 1

celica 2

Specifications:

ST 2 Dr Coupe
GT 2 Dr LiftBack
GT 2 Dr Coupe
GT-S 2 Dr LiftBack
GT-S 2 Dr Coupe
Standard engine
4 Cylinder, 2.4 Liter, 105 Horsepower Engine
MPG (City/Hwy)
N/R
N/R
N/R
N/R
N/R
Wheelbase
98.4"
98.4"
98.4"
98.4"
98.4"
Overall Length
176.6"
176.6"
176.6"
176.6"
176.6"
Curb Weight
2,400 lbs.
2,449 lbs.
2,429 lbs.
2,605 lbs.
2,570 lbs.

Message 369 of 714 (674 Views)
Lombax Warrior
85 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 17, 2012

Since nobody's brave enough to mention Ariel Atom V8 500, I decided to nominate it by myself...

Car: Atom V8 500

Make: Ariel

Nationality: British

Year: 2011

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

Ariel announced in February 2008 its latest Atom variant, the Ariel Atom 500. It features a 500 horsepower 3.0 litre John Hartley designed V8 engine, carbon fibre body panels and aerofoils, chromoly aerofoil wishbones, integrated function steering wheel, Alcon four-piston brake calipers, and Dymag magnesium wheels. The engine weighs 90 kg and is coupled to a Sadev 6-speed sequential gearbox to cope with the increased power over the Honda unit. During the development process the RS performance engine was replaced by a unit prepared by Hartley Enterprises giving the final production version of the 550 kg car 900 bhp/tonne.

Ariel claims this variant will accelerate from 0-60 mph in "less than 2.3 seconds".

Ariel will produce just 25 this year. Prices are expected to be at least $160,000.

On 23 January 2011, the Atom 500 set the lap record around the Top Gear test track, with a time of 1:15.1, making it the fastest road-legal car to go around the track.

Reason:

This car says it all...NUMBER ONE AT THE TOP GEAR TEST TRACK. Lap time of 1:15.1. If this was featured in Gran Turismo, I want to beat that lap time set by The Stig. Only the most handful and the luckiest will be able to drive the Atom V8 and that is why I want the Atom V8 to be in GT5.

Official Site: http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/

Message 370 of 714 (626 Views)