Lombax Warrior
103 posts

Re: The Essential GT Car List

[ Edited ]
Aug 14, 2012

I must admit: I'm pretty anxious to see how my nominees did.  Some more than others.  I've already got too many horses in the race as it is.  But I've already started thinking of some other nominees for later; some that may hopefully address requests/wishes from posters in other threads.

Message 251 of 718 (1,425 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Aug 14, 2012

OzDaddy62 wrote:

Speaking of formats.........

Sorry to be a wet blanket on the conversation, but it's hard enough to get some people to understand the purpose of this thread without any off topic additions.

Oh dear, looks like I'm feeling grumpy today.

That would explain the call I got from his wife.

She was ranting on and on about her man having an affair with some floozy.

I'm sure she'll be fine once I let her know it's you and not Sum Dum Chik...

Oh, that and I know for a fact you LOVE being a wet blanket....

Photobucket
Message 252 of 718 (1,407 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1109 posts

Aug 15, 2012

I know it's late but got this in my email today.........

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/5259/McLaren-MP4-12C-Can-Am-Edition.html

McLaren-MP4-12C-Can-Am-Edition_1.jpg

General specifications
Country of originGreat Britain
Numbers builtN/A (Prototype)
Produced in2012

Engine
ConfigurationM383T 90º V8
LocationMid, longitudinally mounted
Constructionaluminium block and head
Displacement3.799 liter / 231.8 cu in
Bore / Stroke93.0 mm (3.7 in) / 69.9 mm (2.8 in)
Compression8.7:1
Valvetrain4 valves / cylinder, DOHC, Dual VVT
Fuel feedFuel Injection
AspirationTwin Turbo
Power630 bhp / 470 KW
BHP/Liter166 bhp / liter

Drivetrain
Chassiscarbon fibre MonoCell with aluminium front and rear subframes
Rear suspensiondouble wishbones with ProActive Chassis Control
Steeringdouble wishbones with ProActive Chassis Control
Brakesventilated discs, all-round, ABS
GearboxSSG 7 speed Semi-Automatic
DriveRear wheel drive

Dimensions
Weight1200 kilo / 2645.5 lbs

Performance figures
Power to weight0.53 bhp / kg
Message 253 of 718 (1,395 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4598 posts

Aug 15, 2012

It's not late.  This is an evolving and ongoing nomination thread.  Cars that are nominated now will be included in future voting rounds.

Message 254 of 718 (1,389 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Aug 15, 2012

-

Not to mention that it's one very sweet looking ride...!

One of the better interpretations of that car I must say.

I won't mention that I can already drive it though... <--this is why this forum NEEDS an innocent looking, whistling emoticon.

-

Photobucket
Message 255 of 718 (1,385 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Aug 15, 2012

Yes!!  That car will deffinately get a nomination frome me.  As it is a Super Sick Nasty Ride!!!  Smiley Tongue

photo CIMG1810_zpse1fd5a4d.jpg
Message 256 of 718 (1,388 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
85 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 15, 2012

Here's my bohemian candidate:

Name: Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG (W218)

Maker: Mercedes-Benz

Class: 4-door Coupe

Year: 2011-onwards

Based on the second-generation Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class on sale in January 2011, the new CLS63 AMG is the elite 4-door sports coupe tuned by the elite Mercedes-Benz tuning arm, AMG. Despite the "63" naming, the new CLS63 AMG offers the new high-performance M157 5.5L V8 BiTurbo engine that creates an astonishing power output of 525PS, torque output of 700 N·m, top speed of 250 km/h , and can accumulate 4.4 seconds at the 0-100km run.

Just like the other AMG vehicles designating the "63" marque, the new CLS63 AMG is armed with the 7-speed AMG Speedshift MCT (Multi-Clutch Technology) transmission complete with fun-to-shift paddle shifters. The AMG Speedshift MCT transmission four different modes such as Comfort, Sport, Sport plus, and Manual, allowing the driver to choose which type is best suited on most driving conditions. Comfort is more preferable for those who are taking normal trips but the best part is the Manual mode, best suited on racing conditions.

My thoughts about the CLS63 AMG:
The second-generation CLS63 AMG is truly the darker side of the second-generation CLS-Class. This high-performance 4-door coupe truly expresses itself with its AMG suspension, AMG Speedshift MCT transmission, new M157 5.5L V8 BiTurbo engine, aggressive front view inspired from the SLS AMG, and the fresh dark interior only real men would want to be tempted by the temptation of darkness.

Ready to tackle most to the Autobahn, the racetracks, Shutokou, or touge, the new CLS63 AMG can be somewhat a German wrecking machine that has a forced to be reckoned with and its design flow truly captures the artisan spirit.

It's like revenge is a dish best served cold to the competitors.

URL: http://www.mercedes-amg.com/#/cls63-overview

Message 257 of 718 (1,385 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
103 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 16, 2012

Manufacturer: DeTomaso

Model: Pantera Group 4, 1972

Series: FIA Group 4, Le Mans, others

Historical Significance:  Fast, underrated, and long-enduring design.  "It appeared in 1971 with a 351 Cleveland Ford V8 and a low, wedge-shaped body designed by Ghia's Tom Tjaarda.[4] Through an agreement with Ford, De Tomaso sold Panteras in the USA through Ford's Lincoln and Mercury dealers. Between 1971 and 1973, 6,128 Panteras were produced in Modena, the largest number of a single marque of De Tomaso produced. The 1973 oil crisis and other factors compelled Ford to pull out of the Pantera deal at the end of 1973. (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Tomaso)  Pantera sales continued outside the US though--at greatly reduced numbers--until the model was finally phased out in 1993.  That in and of itself is very impressive.  I don't know of any other exotic that can boast a continuous production run of over 20 years without a major redesign/update.  Panteras competed internationally as late as 1994 at Le Mans; a Pantera won the (class) British GT Championship in 1995, and raced in the BPR series in '95 and '96.  The Pantera managed to combine Italian styling with American grunt and reliability, offering supercar performance at closer to everyman pricing for its day.  They were considered high performance bargains compared to their contemporaries from Lamborghini, Ferrari, Maserati, etc.  

Driving Fun Factor/Desirability:  The Group 4 is perhaps the definitive racing model.  "Only 14 units ever built by the factory. When De Tomaso launched his racing program for his new and promising Pantera, they decided to build a racing version of the car that would be eligible for the FIA group 4 class. Only 14 units have been built with a special lightweight chassis (Type 874A – A stands for Alleggerita), and immediately entered major international races. One of the most important events in 1972 was the 24 hours of Le Mans, with four factory group 4 Pantera registered at the race. Despite the superb results for the qualifying sessions (a Pantera did the best qualifying time in group 4 class), the result in the race itself were very disappointing. It is now commonly known that with more time to properly prepared the cars, the Pantera would have been front runners in that race."  (source: http://www.carclassic.com/DeTomaso_Pantera_EK59.html)  Panteras enjoy a devoted following among American enthusiasts even today.  They're also very rare, thanks in large part to their relatively short sales run in US dealers.

Like the original GT-40's, racing Panteras have "180 degree" exhaust headers, giving a very un-V8 like exhaust note.  But don't be fooled--their Aussie 351 Clevo's make gobs of power.  These cars are wicked fast on the track, and definite head-turners in the paddock. 

LF.jpg

Red-De-Tomaso-Pantera-1971-5325_3.jpg

mans_13.jpg

Message 258 of 718 (1,368 Views)
Lombax Warrior
103 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 16, 2012

And, one from what we can call: "Cool Cars That Could Have Been" category...

Manufacturer:  Ford

Model:  Torino King Cobra/Super Cyclone Spoiler II, 1970

Race Series:  NASCAR Grand National (intended)

Historical Significance:  Ford's answer to Dodge/Plymouth "winged warriors."  In the first weeks of 1969, Ford introduced its Torino Talladega model, to much success in racing in NASCAR's premiere series.  Dodge responded in '69 with their radical, high winged Charger Daytona (later with the Plymouth Superbird for '70).  Not to be outdone, Ford began designing their own wind cheating design to achieve higher top speeds (the "sugar scoop" headlight recesses give a very Datsun-like front end look).  They also prepared a Mercury version: the Super Cylcone Spoiler II.  One of the chief designers was Larry Shinoda, credited as the man behind the first gen Boss Mustangs.  Primary focus of the design was on maximizing aero efficiency and reducing drag, which aimed to negate the need for any wings or oversized spoilers.  NASCAR rules would have required at least 3000 roadgoing versions be sold to the public for it to be eligible for racing.  The Torino King Cobra and Super Cyclone Spoiler II--in pursuit of the Daytona and Superbird--certainly would have helped push NASCAR racing into 200+ mph territory about a decade sooner.  Ford began drastically reducing its motorsports budget around the same time though, so the project was cancelled before it could get off the ground.  That may have been a good thing, as advances in HP and speed were outpacing safety and tire technology of the time. 

More info here: http://musclecars.howstuffworks.com/classic-muscle-cars/1970-ford-king-cobra.htm

Driving Fun Factor/Desirabillity:  It would provide a somewhat relevant competitor to the Plymouth Superbird '70 already in game, and help provide more of a glimpse into the no-holds-barred attitude towards design and performance in American motorsports during the 60's and early 70's.  Only a couple of Torino prototypes were built, and one Mercury version is known to exist.  Some lucky guy somewhere in TN apparently has one of each!  http://www.torinocobra.com/king_cobra.htm  

White_King_Cobra_factory.jpg

Super_Spoiler_II_4.jpg

Message 259 of 718 (1,345 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 17, 2012

reddsun1 wrote:

...The Torino King Cobra and Super Cyclone Spoiler II--in pursuit of the Daytona and Superbird--certainly would have helped push NASCAR racing into 200+ mph territory about a decade sooner. 

IIRC Benny Parsons ran 201 plus mph (..may have been 202...) in 1970 in a winged Dodge at Talledega... It was that lap time that prompted NASCAR to stop the presses and start working to ban the Aero warriors. When they again pushed the 200 mark without the wings, NASCAR responded with the 355 CID engine size.

It wasn't until Bill Elliot went ballistic at Talledega in 87 I believe that they again intervened and began the restrictor plate era.

With all the changes going on during the late 80's early 90's, Robert Yates was calling for 300-305 CID small blocks instead of plates. Unfortunately, those early plate races and all the mayhem from "the big one(s)" were a fan favorite and NASCAR couldn't get away from it.

I believe this year's package with the smaller radiator opening and shorter spoiler to keep everyone packed together like it was then shows just how popular the racing is like that. Ratings dropped like a stone in the 2x2 races the year before.

The races at those tracks before plates were pretty ho hum, in some cases as few as 6 cars on the lead lap...

Photobucket
Message 260 of 718 (1,326 Views)
0 Likes