Jan 28 2013
By: dmcallis PlayStation MVP 3317 posts

Sunday Cup Online Racing DISCUSSION

[ Edited ]
343 replies 1538 views Edited Aug 17, 2013

Tsukuba Circuit.jpg

Yes, the Sunday Cup we all started offline with is going Online.  When you may ask?

Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

This series is in the spirit of GT Saturdays and Monday Night Racing, a place to get together and just race with a few friends in close, friendly races.

The intention is for this to be low key and quick to get into.  I'll try to keep the prep-work to a minimum so usually, there will be no tuning.  Cars should be easy to get, and ideally, lower-powered to fit the spirit of Sunday Cup.

Starting time will be 6:00pm eastern and will run until everybody leaves.

Details will be posted in the Events thread of the same name.  or very simular.

Sound good to you?  Send a Friend Request sometimes before Race Time (please give time for this to be accepted...) and come on out for a bit of fun racing.

Limited experience online?  This is a perfect place to start. 

All welcome but attempts at good driving conduct expected.  Come on out!

Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

Message 1 of 344 (1,538 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1071 posts

Re: Sunday Cup Online Racing DISCUSSION

Jan 28, 2013

Oh man! Did you at least get to read my reply about time and points before you started this? I don't want to have to write it againSmiley Indifferent

" A defeat is good for the character if you take it the right way."

Who said it?
Message 2 of 344 (1,523 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3317 posts

Jan 28, 2013

f1cheetor wrote (in the soon to die thread...)

Awesome DM! I was hoping you would change it to 4. When you were first potentially ask to take over after Andy's first race....you had mentioned a 4 o-clock time. Something about not cutting into your dinner time? or did I read that wrong? If the 4 o-clock is not going to be considered as a time. Are you still in the process of polishing the details and accepting more ideas and suggestions?

Plus, is there going to be at least 1 race that is gonna count as a points system? If you don't know what I mean I can explaine more after your reply tells me you either do or do not.

Anyway, great title you came up with for the new event!

Thanks.  I did kinda stumble upon it, but I like the name too

if this is to be a late-afternoon - early-evening race 6:00 is about as soon as I can start it.  I am the family cook so 6:00 is already causing minor time problems for me.  Earlier and it could be better or worst depending on how early.

Lets work this out.

I could potentially start as soon as 1:00 and go to 4:30-5:00 before having to leave to do dinner.   Even with dinner-in-a-box, it'll take at least an hour  counting eating, more like 90 minutes.  Usually aim dinner for 5:30 now, served, and I eat quickly to make Andy's races.  Ideally dinner would be more like 6:00-6:30, but I have shifted it as I said to race.  The family didn't rebel, but it was just the three weeks so far.  Don't wanna push my luck.

7:00 would actually be better for me, but not for you I knew, so...

Except for the morning (I have another get together I'm involved in), basically through lunch and recovery from the morning, and 4:30-6:00 (Dinner) I am free the rest of the day.  So, 1:00-4:30 and 6:00-whenever too tired to continue.

I could see a leaderboard for this, but this isn't your traditional "fixed number of races, fixed set of racers" so just points won't work.

If everyone could not be on at the same time, people coming and going, what I could see being done is a leaderboard of percentages.

Take how many races you have started, first collumn.  Times Finished First.  Times in top two (including first), Times in top 3 (including 1st and 2nd).  Leader is best percentage on those  (and could include however many places we want to include)... 

When figuring place, could add those together.  So if there were 5 people in a race, you'd have 1st - 5th.  Last person, one point.  Second, four points.  One point per position you placed in or ahead of in race.  First is best of five, so five points.  For example.

Races you do not participate in would not count against you but in case of ties, it could be number of races you joined that could be tiebreaker.

I'll work out the math later.  I'm thinking on the fly here...  I think I have a workable framework.  I know it sounds complicated, but trust me, I'm good at complicated.  (Ex-Programmer Analyst of 20+ years)

So, could everyone let me know what times they could possible commit to this? 

Then we'll nail down a time schedule. 

Note:  We all do not HAVE to be on at the same time, except for the occasional endurance race (if we want to do those.  Do we?)

Message 3 of 344 (1,515 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1071 posts

Jan 29, 2013

Nah, forget the points system. I have too much respect for your time after all that explaining. It'll just complicate things when really all we want to do is keep it simple. Maybe another time. Another series. I just want to be able to make this series. Besides, an hour and a half I will have to go and make ready for the Formula 1 series I entered recently. You know, the one you are not able to do?

" A defeat is good for the character if you take it the right way."

Who said it?
Message 4 of 344 (1,505 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8245 posts

Jan 29, 2013

dmcallis wrote: 0-level cars on short tracks.  Barely tuned (mostly) to 400pp.  Tires will be street tires, or perhaps inexpensive sports grade.

Who do I have to add?

Also; premium L0s :

Daihatsu Copen (and copin' is what you do with the low power)

Honda Civic Type R '97

Mazdas '89 and '91 Miatas, AZ-1, Roadster TC (lol)

Suzukis (two each of Swifts and Cappis, and the Cervo)

Nissan March (becomes a better car about five weeks from now)

Toyota Vitz (dat 7-speed)

Considering the '86 MR2 currently in the OCD is L0 and the various hybrids (Insight, Prii, CR-Z) are L1 cars I'd say the car levels are much more useless than pp at determining car ease/speed/etc but then you only see levels at the purchase point so even PD knows this.  Moving on.

Message 5 of 344 (1,482 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
436 posts

Jan 29, 2013

clacksman wrote:

dmcallis wrote: 0-level cars on short tracks.  Barely tuned (mostly) to 400pp.  Tires will be street tires, or perhaps inexpensive sports grade.

Who do I have to add?

Also; premium L0s :

Daihatsu Copen (and copin' is what you do with the low power)

Honda Civic Type R '97

Mazdas '89 and '91 Miatas, AZ-1, Roadster TC (lol)

Suzukis (two each of Swifts and Cappis, and the Cervo)

Nissan March (becomes a better car about five weeks from now)

Toyota Vitz (dat 7-speed)

Considering the '86 MR2 currently in the OCD is L0 and the various hybrids (Insight, Prii, CR-Z) are L1 cars I'd say the car levels are much more useless than pp at determining car ease/speed/etc but then you only see levels at the purchase point so even PD knows this.  Moving on.

DM most likely or unless you have a friend that is in the lobby already then you can just click on your friends coffee cup.

also dm, you said the PP system was broke, is it fixed now?

My GT6 club number 1036691
the club is for my ;X2014 jr racing events I host.
we also have a facebook page, check it out by clicking here
Message 6 of 344 (1,473 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3317 posts

Jan 29, 2013
I am still undecided as to it being broken beyond use and nothing has changed since 2.10 update...
We shall see how the PPs work out in this event.

I am still trying to decide if this is to be a forum event or an open one. i.e. my lounge or open lobby.

Yeah, the car levels are strange. But it did determine what cars we could use when at the start. I see no good reason not to stick with that the first event.
I saw the Roadster TC was level 0 and was going to exclude it by name. It IS an entry-level touring car, but the spirit here is street cars, drive it to the track, race, drive it home. Thanks for bringing that to my attention though. There was no guarantee I had spotted that.

I'll get the event thread (the real one) posted today with the real specs.
Message 7 of 344 (1,462 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3317 posts

Jan 30, 2013

Anyone up to any testing?  I'll be on off and on today as usual.  Feel free to drop iin.

If we get several people in the room at one time, I'd like to get some pics for the Events page.

Reminder:  The room is SCORE-Room.  If you want direct access, send a Friend Request to that name.  Or just follow me or another friend in.

Message 8 of 344 (1,438 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
145 posts

Jan 30, 2013

i'm pretty certain Lounges are private - ie must be on the Friend List of the  lounge account, can't just follow a friend to a lounge you don't have.  I'll try to follow anyway, and FR sent.anything we should show up ready to test?

Message 9 of 344 (1,429 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
206 posts

Jan 30, 2013
if you haven't decided on a time for this, i vote for the earlier 1;00-4;00 time frame, simply because the internet is better for me around then, less traffic on.
(it's also pretty free around 1;00 AM lol).
and on that bombshell.....
Message 10 of 344 (1,425 Views)
0 Likes